A pair of Coventry cats

I've had a couple of false starts with models I wanted to build, I hope this project will yield a couple of decent vehicles.  I've had a couple of Revell Jaguar XK120s in my cupboard for a while, I bought two because I wanted to try building this kit two different ways.

y4mx_OdfFwxSb-9NlweqC-aMBv0HKWVKTs9EYWRy

The vision:

One car built as factory standard.  This is based on a car I saw in an old magazine; light blue with a navy and grey interior, with rear-wheel spats.

One car built as a bit of a tuned-up, example with a set of Dunlop alloys and no spats.  This one will be Tamiya British Green with a tan interior.

y4mBWX_6epmD0xL6Q1jLraXQp9c8CalyRbgR6HL_

Here's a mock-up, the wheels and tyres came from K&R Replicas.  It might take a bit of ingenuity to fix them to the axles.  You can also see that the body needs a lot of cleaning up, those mould lines are just about the worst possible place.  

On the early XK the ventilation flaps in the front wings need filling in, as these were never fitted as standard (although I think some owners added them later).  For the tuned up XK I want to replicate the look of a later car, where the sidelights were integrated with the front wings, rather than being separate, chrome parts.

This is a nicely detailed kit, but the copyright information moulded into some parts shows that it is a Monogram moulding and it feels like it might be almost as challenging as the old Monogram Maserati 3500 kit I built last year.

• Like 16

It was a Monogram kit and originally produced with a diecast body.  I built the '56 T-Bird from the same series years ago and that was relatively simple.  It shouldn't be as fiddly as the ex-Aurora kits.  🙃

I like the sound of the tuned up version.  Never liked the look of the spats on these, but worse still are whitewalls...

• Like 2

Let's have a look at some Jaguar bodywork.

y4mDONqknC3EEdUcKdzw1DSkqdw5_EpZGckE8kOl

Integrating the sidelights with the front wings as per later XK120s.  The kit parts are on the chrome sprue and were stripped with oven cleaner and washed.  The position was judged by eye based on reference photos.  Because the side lights on later cars sit lower and further forward there was some cutting and sanding needed to adapt the kit items to their new location.

y4mWAgRifKVvxgRRywg1c-AafnQNECbbt7dByNgf

Close-up plus part assembled XK straight six.

y4mMKX88cMJ5o_kk-8jbtfaUvsEVEW-BSadBdyEC

After primer, it somehow looks better in the photo than it did in real life.  there are a few seams that still need attention.

y4mWkhsKEPIIz9pkbp89v0M541Wz_YaAk7HoYP6t

Another view, the sink mark on the headlamp has been filled.

y4mo3yj4t0_j5ahGzBZrJ4gv2FPxjo5qpeO1_g7f

Pesky mould lines keep popping up.

y4mtD6SpuaAVQLSSTaIekIDe1gurwfwy2ePGW1rJ

So there's been some sanding down.

y4mxtn3PT7GUEUuYb2E1mnbfA16caak1upVJ-E_z

For the older XK the wing vents need filling.  The vents and seam lines are proving rather stubborn to eliminate.

y4mCEzsKh9OQcnTNv3Ve13a7nwdHegttktx-g4kZ

Yep, those are annoying.

y4mN_OglRTLKCvkbmPCVsRH-YUKCNYjtCEyEgLNB

Other side is slightly better.

y4mkytvlSMjYq2OO_XrpbVKM2etdwFPfR-RZFr-4

I wasn't happy with this spat, so it was removed to re-fit.

y4mD_tqMhQHPd6eq2yCAa_QkFzJuH0wdGLCDhd78

Both bodies with seam lines sanded again and primer rubbed down, ready for some more primer.

I'll say this much, the sanding has proved oddly theraputic.

• Like 14

Hi John, I will follow this WIP for sure. I like the idea of an tuned up version.

If I remember right there are some sporty screens, something like Brooklandscreens included in this kit. By the way a lot of bodywork (seam-sanding) done.

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Hi John, I will follow this WIP for sure. I like the idea of an tuned up version.

If I remember right there are some sporty screens, something like Brooklandscreens included in this kit. By the way a lot of bodywork (seam-sanding) done.

Marco F 

Thanks Marco.  You are correct, the kit comes with both the standard windscreen and a pair of aero-screens.

^ Very true. They always say preparation is 90% of a good paint job, so this is work which will pay for itself down the line. But, while I understand what you mean about the sanding being therapeutic it doesn't have suck up time (same as polishing the paint at the end).

• Like 1

These look good, I remember making the metal bodied Monogram kit as a teenager,  but would have made an awful job brushpainting my then thick Humbrol paint  on !!!

Great start getting these bodies fettled.

Chris

• Thanks 1

While the bodies are primed again and drying ready for more sanding and correcting let's have a look at some other parts of these kits.

y4mB0iigZ8YL00Nit6sChNCzZ2bhglGhNv0qlPJw

Engines, one primed and with a coat of satin black.  One in the raw with some sidedraft carburettors added.  I sliced off the SU carbs from the standard manifold and added a little plasticard strip to provide a flat surface.  Yes, I lost one of the intake trumpets and had to improvise.

y4mxo-ET_ME3NhUvTvj1ju9dtxwHJVc0JAmcanig

Another view, along with a Tamiya XK engine from the Mk.II Jaguar kit.

y4m3grfPmk3ZQwjT1mL5ELKYux498y8kFbiSjhxJ

The Webbers are a tight fit against the side of the engine bay, so the panel will be cut away.

y4mgpZdIqxJc8stRB2xE_KzXsOn-u-cAo3JnlAXf

I also had a problem where the freshly painted chassis fell off its stand and landed on the dust sheet.

y4mkUKsEqYrj_JqP61pBYMneRMUDB3oXhZmwasel

After rubbing down it should be possible to repaint.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I think an update on these is overdue.

y4m0JKTlJX7oj8b6oAlsHjcX1afSMRDnFjwcsVxL

Bodywork is getting there, this is the later-style car.  I've given a coat of filler primer to help with the last few little imperfections.

y4mZipSJsR7D4AeTtkt6Nf-rmuq0bZ0taffGXCM4

Not sure how well it comes across?

y4ms-TF3W2HgTvGMXVDIFYMCJpzo_J5ipcOihNcP

The mould lines are only under the bonnet shut now.

y4mZLDnHOvAGUikjtWl6x_-ARouuTFqOTvtEaNo4

Older-style car with spats.  This side is the best, the vent has completely disappeared and the mould line has gone.

y4msp5ukV4pjN7WuXKJKxowHx2LlsVirbMNjIwri

A bit less good on this side.

y4m8bSdxvEmZFNJzLX7wVMPMn2C2p70lTFeLHF45

Maybe it's not so bad?

Apart from the bodywork I've worked on the engines.

y4m9yBHfO2g_kXEiIS-bJ4NtHy3xdi9AgnDot9-m

Here's a standard XK, pretty much finished.  I've added plug wires.

y4m8mGDyhfYg8Ry6qmNtpQ3Frm_lxg7ROCMZZ4h1

Other side, I've added some circles of plastic to represent the air filters as none are supplied (at least not as far as I've seen.

y4mnaqBrVYqIwNMStFQl-yzsBtorLwvMh2qOYl9t

Front view, the cam covers are Bare Metal Foil.

y4mVaXJU6AtlJDPEm01oEwBVQS_XXyTw9KWEIUmi

The other engine isn't quite as complete yet.

y4myST-y6aVNapSFet1c46Jw7nvmJC5A45elqpFn

I want to see if I can fabricate a tubular exhaust.

y4mQuRjR_wslorJMBHBXxJjSG76vHp0Zw3RDDdPo

A few bits of plastic-coated wire are getting bent into shape.  The standard system is shown for comparison.

The interiors have also received attention.

y4mqRhnHP-4ZrMC-nVP-kZQGaFoUPoH6BEJyaHKQ

The standard car has two-tone blue upholstery (Tamiya blue and matt light blue) with the dashboard in the same light blue (not that it looks like it).  The seats will get a coat of satin varnish to tone down the gloss dark blue and shine up the matt light blue.  The side panels are a mix of Tamiya blue and Flat Blue about 75:25.  The floor mats need painting black and there are lots of details to pick out in chrome.

y4mE28mQpP-QSi1NFuGHsxZ36wyuhS19OLT7INV0

The modified car has tan upholstery.  The colour I've chosen is Ford's Tuscan Beige with Halfords Ultra Matt Khaki for the carpet and Halfords Matt black for the mats and the inside of the engine bay (you can also see where I've cut away the inner wing to clear the carburettors.  Again, lots of detail painting and satin varnish is required.

And finally:

y4mlvGzmBIGXNKYUm2fy7868a10I8zGhaCsSBrlt

This is the chassis for the standard car.  There are bits that need more black paint.  The main colour is Halfords Matt Black with Ultra Matt Black used for the back axle to provide a bit of variety.  The exhaust is Vlaejo steel, as are the torsion bars.

That's it for now, thank you for watching.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Anteater said:

Why the need to cut away the inner wing to clear the carbs? Is fitment an issue OOB

Only if you choose to fit non-standard, Webber carburettors. The standard SU setup fits perfectly. 

While doing battle with Revell/Monogram's interpretation of Jaguar bodywork and trying to spray when the weather seems too warm I've spent some time on the interior bits and pieces.

y4mzmqvLsK9KiM4G6_nHvnEmosY9v_2IbfAHq2af

Blue seats given a clear coat and wash to bring out the detail.  They need another spray with matt lacquer.

y4msn3hvhHQsOCnqBYi4uhaO3bGOSfy_ptEZdH5S

Similar story for the tan seats.

y4mG7yctF5-ExUm-eySydu2rbAf03NFF_SZcGZEY

Blue interior.

y4mlBm4qQoH_koODY106TeoXDIirH2Kp82BEK1Ki

And tan.  Adding chrome and wash makes a big difference.

y4mJmkMTMkIRQuvWLoMdP51f6s7UqZBv0zdvUugw

Finally, a dashboard.

• Like 9