Humbrol Maskol advice needed.

Deano353

Hi guys I wanted to ask about Maskol. I have Humbrol Maskol and I have used it once before however it destroyed the brush I used. Since I don't want to throw brushes away what do you clean the brush with? I tried white spirits last time bit it didn't work. Any advice would be appreciated as it'll make canopy masking easier for sure.

Last time I used it I used cheap children's art brushes. They have rather heavy-duty nylony bristles. Then I let the maskol dry and it just peeled off the brush bristles

• Like 2

I use winsor & Newton artists masking fluid, smells just like maskol and works in the same manner. To clean, I've found white spirit works to get the gunk off the brush I use (every last bit comes out). That was only after nearly ruining it, and then doing a Google search to find out what was best to clean brushes after using it.

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To maintain its integrity, ie, to stop it hardening in the bottle, I keep mine in the fridge door.

I'm on my second [!] bottle which is 2 years old. Lost the first to .......hardening in the bottle !!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Maskol is rubber solution in ammonia, certain of it if it smells the same as artists' masking fluid.  And if so, the best brush cleaner is more ammonia solution.  A small bottle of household ammonia will do you forever because you need to dilute it about 10:1 to make it suitable for brushes.  So far it's worked on the brush I use to apply Klear.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pigsty said:

I'm pretty sure Maskol is rubber solution in ammonia

Yes it is - and for this reason never user Maskol over Klear/Future. Personally I prefer Mr Masking Sol R which is water based - easier to clean, can be thinned if required (though I wouldn't put it through an airbrush!) and does not react with anything else.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 01:29, roginoz said:

To maintain its integrity, ie, to stop it hardening in the bottle, I keep mine in the fridge door.

I'm on my second [!] bottle which is 2 years old. Lost the first to .......hardening in the bottle !!

Thanks for that. I'll also add keep the lid clean and clear. I was a bit sloppy and left enough residue around the threads to seal a bottle so tight that I had to throw it out. With a safety cap like W&Ns it made it even harder to open.

• Like 1

Like Black Knight, I use a cheap pencil with Maskol.

Otherwise I use Mr MasKing Sol neo, works fine.

In the fridge door...argh if I do that I sleep in the garden, my wife will going crazy🥵

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks for the replies, I completely missed them the notifications didn't show so I didn't realise. Seems like there's a few options then. I'll see what works for me I'm doing Revells 1/48 F-15E Strike Eagle at the moment which has quite a large canopy so I'll practice on scrap first and see how I go. Cheers again!

• Like 1