Tamiya Mark Fit Decal Solution--Experience With & Opinions On

Over The Ponder

Hi Chris,

I have used Tamiya Mark Fit and Mark Fit "Super Strong".

I found the weaker Mark Fit did the job as applied under the decal. Additional top coats did not seem to make much difference. It does not appear to have a very strong solvent effect. Although, the decals were nicely sucked into the detail. I expect it would have limited utility on decals that are more difficult to conform,  I have not tried it with Tamiya decals, more the usual Cartograf so popular in kits today. I have heard of staining issues, I have had none of these although I apply decals over a Gunze gloss lacquer finish so I cannot speak for effects with other gloss coats or "Future" type finishes. 

I have not used the Mark Fit "Strong". A nice solution, dependent on the behaviour of the decals in question, might be achieved with the weaker Mark Fit under the decal and the Strong over the decal.

Mark Fit does seem a little better/stronger than the Gunze NEO range such as Gunze Mr Mark Softer. As an aside, the Gunze NEO decal solutions definitely seem a weaker proposition than their older non-NEO range.

I have used the Mark Fit "Super Strong" in an application with a decal that was difficult  to conform. Heed the warning on the bottle "may melt some types of decals and affect painted surfaces (especially acrylic paints)" and I can confirm this is the case. I had it damage the lacquer coat and under acrylic finish (previously never a problem).

I have been using the Japanese products as they were my only option and then the LHS stocked Microsol and Microset and I started using these again. My Tamiya and Gunze now sit in my modelling chemicals tray for products I rarely use.  Fall back options rather than my daily go to solutions - now Microscale.

Ray 

• Like 1