1/32 B-17G “A bit o’lace” + Magic Scale Modelling light & sound

9 minutes ago, Notty said:

Thanks for that. I probably inadvertently  copied more model builds than I should, but I can’t unsee it now. Perhaps I’ll redo it.

Yeah, I know the feeling when you just can't unsee something on your finished kit. This detail, in special, is missed by most of modelers because, most of the time, some stuff is usually expelled from vents or holes like these. But, just to catch us, these ones don't. It's just air.....

But, in any case, such a great work had to have something wrong, so the rest of us can bear this. It is just too perfect!! 🙂

• Like 1

Hello, Notty,

I found a picture of "Bit o' lace" from 447BG in my library:

spacer.png

We can see the fatty streaks on either side of these vents.

I took a photo of an image from William Wyler's movie "Memphis Belle":

spacer.png

This picture of "Dream Baby" from 381BG is interesting too: 

spacer.png

We can see the oil stopped by these vents, like a dam. Then the oil finds a flow.

( We can notice too that this B17G-35-BO has NO staggered waist gun, a cheyenne turret and an olive drab scheme. Very interesting!) 

I am at your disposal if you want other pictures. 

And I look forward to the photos of the next one in olive drab faded.:tasty:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George72 said:

Yeah, I know the feeling when you just can't unsee something on your finished kit. This detail, in special, is missed by most of modelers because, most of the time, some stuff is usually expelled from vents or holes like these. But, just to catch us, these ones don't. It's just air.....

But, in any case, such a great work had to have something wrong, so the rest of us can bear this. It is just too perfect!! 🙂

Decided to bite the billet and redo it. Don’t think I’ve ruined it! Thanks again for the feedback.

spacer.png

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Notty said:

The most expensive kit with the most extras I’ve ever tackled. Painted in mostly Alclad airframe aluminium but weathered with the kitchen sink. Master Details pilots navigator & radio operator, brass gun barrels, magic scale modelling light & sound kit, brassin resin wheels. If you decide to watch the video at the end be sure to turn the sound up! Thanks for looking.

She’s a bit of a modelling cliche but I love the scheme so here’s my main reference pic:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

couple of views from before I sealed her up

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here she is in action

Edited by Steve27752

You got one running. I tired this with a 48th B-29 but had no sound and a mass of wires coming out. Is that one module controlling all the engines, individual starting and sound? Did you make the sound card? or what is the sound card?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

You got one running. I tired this with a 48th B-29 but had no sound and a mass of wires coming out. Is that one module controlling all the engines, individual starting and sound? Did you make the sound card? or what is the sound card?

Oh no I'm no engineer!  This is now my 5th build using the kits supplied by Magic Scale Modelling, specifically this one: https://www.magicscalemodeling.com/shop/B-17-Flying-Fortress-1-32-Motors-Sound-%26-Lights-set-Taxiway-p218107020

They are pretty good, plug & play, no soldering or anything. Their instructions are getting much better. Biggest challenge is the cable routing/hiding and board location, and there were times when I thought this build was going in the bin!!  Lots of satisfaction when it works though.

1 hour ago, Snafu35 said:

Hello, Notty,

I found a picture of "Bit o' lace" from 447BG in my library:

spacer.png

We can see the fatty streaks on either side of these vents.

I took a photo of an image from William Wyler's movie "Memphis Belle":

spacer.png

This picture of "Dream Baby" from 381BG is interesting too: 

spacer.png

We can see the oil stopped by these vents, like a dam. Then the oil finds a flow.

( We can notice too that this B17G-35-BO has NO staggered waist gun, a cheyenne turret and an olive drab scheme. Very interesting!) 

I am at your disposal if you want other pictures. 

And I look forward to the photos of the next one in olive drab faded.:tasty:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Thanks again Eric, that's pretty useful. So in summary, I had trails coming out of the vents, and instead they came in between the vents. I've been scratching my head over how to play it from the pics I saw, so I'm especially grateful for these. Having now "edited" them from the vents with my airbrush and re-weathered, I may go back and do the other trails.

Your second pic is almost exactly how I'm envisioning my 2nd build which will be Little Patches, so any reference you have on her would be gratefully received. I see you're a B17 obsessive - I agree there's just something about them. Thanks again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Wow! Simply awesome! I love the weathering and the interior detail is incredible.

You obviously have a very supportive (or naiive) wife! 🤣

Just out of interest, how does the wall mount work?

Thank you for the kind words. To be fair it IS the wall of my man cave room, but yes she’s a keeper 😀

Re the wall mount here’s the instructions. The draw back is the bracket is pretty much permanent once fitted, or at least I’ve not had the nerve to try and disassemble it. You would not believe one tiny screw holds this thing up. With all the extra bits in it I reckon it’s 3-4kg easy.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

A great big WOW for this one.   Man, that is some incredible modeling, with a very cool video to go with it; who wouldn't love that?!?   Thanks for the impressive inspiration sir!  :worthy:

And, it's not just  everyone who has their own Phalanx CIWS in their garden!   You either have the rowdiest neighborhood ever, or perhaps the quietest one around😉 😁

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Notty said:

Oh no I'm no engineer!  This is now my 5th build using the kits supplied by Magic Scale Modelling, specifically this one: https://www.magicscalemodeling.com/shop/B-17-Flying-Fortress-1-32-Motors-Sound-%26-Lights-set-Taxiway-p218107020

They are pretty good, plug & play, no soldering or anything. Their instructions are getting much better. Biggest challenge is the cable routing/hiding and board location, and there were times when I thought this build was going in the bin!!  Lots of satisfaction when it works though.

Thanks, they have some nice ideas on their site.

• Like 1

Very nice model indeed, that particular B-17 is probably my all time favourite of that 'plane! Well done!

Purely as constructive criticism, as others have noted, the exhaust staining does run around and between the wing vents and not out of them. Here are a few pics of a 1/48 B-17G 'Princess Pat' which I built over 25 years ago (!!) as a commission build for Robert Taylor, the aviation artist, who used it as a 3-D 'aid' when composing his picture of that aircraft, titled 'The Mighty Eighth, Coming Home'. I did a huge amount of research on the overall effects of weathering, staining etc, and the exhaust staining over the port wings mainly went straight back over the wing, a faint amount also being dragged inboard slightly towards the fuselage. However, the staining over the starboard wing is 'dragged' more severely inboard towards the fuselage almost as soon as it leaves the engine, and the staining has a distinctive inboard 'curve' to it.

One other thing that was particular to 'A Bit O Lace' is that it was from a batch that had the un-staggered waist gunner windows (they were directly opposite each other, when viewed in plan-view), the kit you have has the staggered windows instead. The windows should have a distinctive 'bulge' to them also, looks like the kit ones are the flat transparency type. Coincidentally, my model of 'Princess Pat' is also the type with the un-staggered waist windows, but also with the standard original tail-turret, and not the 'Cheyenne' type tail turret fitted to 'A Bit O Lace'.

51191799401_3f18a327fc_o.jpg

51192871855_6995599871_o.jpg

51192576489_de97f0e5c6_o.jpg

51191805216_77287a07af_o.jpg

51192576469_35f327f17b_o.jpg

51192579039_31bd37cf05_o.jpg

🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Very nice model indeed, that particular B-17 is probably my all time favourite of that 'plane! Well done!

Purely as constructive criticism, as others have noted, the exhaust staining does run around and between the wing vents and not out of them. Here are a few pics of a 1/48 B-17G 'Princess Pat' which I built over 25 years ago (!!) as a commission build for Robert Taylor, the aviation artist, who used it as a 3-D 'aid' when composing his picture of that aircraft, titled 'The Mighty Eighth, Coming Home'. I did a huge amount of research on the overall effects of weathering, staining etc, and the exhaust staining over the port wings mainly went straight back over the wing, a faint amount also being dragged inboard slightly towards the fuselage. However, the staining over the starboard wing is 'dragged' more severely inboard towards the fuselage almost as soon as it leaves the engine, and the staining has a distinctive inboard 'curve' to it.

One other thing that was particular to 'A Bit O Lace' is that it was from a batch that had the un-staggered waist gunner windows (they were directly opposite each other, when viewed in plan-view), the kit you have has the staggered windows instead. The windows should have a distinctive 'bulge' to them also, looks like the kit ones are the flat transparency type. Coincidentally, my model of 'Princess Pat' is also the type with the un-staggered waist windows, but also with the standard original tail-turret, and not the 'Cheyenne' type tail turret fitted to 'A Bit O Lace'.

Oh my days. I am just ever so much less pleased with mine than I was having seen yours, it's absolutely the best I've ever seen. Amazing. On the plus side, I now have a reference benchmark for my next one (Little Patches), and having redone the staining on Lace already today, I think I might just finesse it a bit more tomorrow. 25 years ago is a long time; I'm guessing you don't therefore have any higher res photos of your stunner? I know Robert Taylor's work very well - I have a house full of many more of it than my wife would like!

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Fantastic.

I do hope that wall mount is secure!

I've never held my breath so much as when I released her from my grip and left her fate in the hands of one tiny screw, but seems pretty solid.

3 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

And, it's not just  everyone who has their own Phalanx CIWS in their garden!   You either have the rowdiest neighborhood ever, or perhaps the quietest one around😉 😁

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

Haha brilliant! Yes I should probably edit that out, but it's too late the govt sattelite photos probably already have me

3 hours ago, Jeddahbill said:

Superb!  Wife even lets you hang this on the wall!  Mine would hang my head on the wall if I tried to put one of these up!

Bill

To be fair it is the wall of my hobby room, but yeah, I'm lucky!

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s just another level of awesomeness.. the overall finish and attention to the weathered details is top self, then you go and power her up? Honestly, that’s got to take some awards along the way. Kit of the year so far. 

Cheers and very well modelled..Dave 

Thank you sir, that is the absolute highest praise I have ever received for any of my builds.

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jeddahbill said:

Superb!  Wife even lets you hang this on the wall!  Mine would hang my head on the wall if I tried to put one of these up!

Bill

Not just my head, must be great to have a hobby room all to yourself.

• Like 1