Meshmixer help

Mox

Could anyone that is familiar with Meshmixer be able to help please? I'm trying to get a solid 3D file of the USS Equinox sectioned ready for printing with the "hollow" feature but keep ending up failing. I started with the engine nacelles, wanting to split them to top and bottom (like here with the unobtainium Delta Q kit - https://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=14671 ) with the top half split front and back so I can print the parts with the bussard collectors and grills in clear resin, and of course hollow with about 2 or 3mm wall thickness so I can fit the electronics.

It worked well before, when I printed custom 1/1000 TOS nacelles hollow to save on resin.

If it helps, I can share some of my working-on files.

Mike

Hello Mike,

In what way are the model halves failing? At the print stage or are you unable to plane cut the nacelles?

I find that the ability to plane cut with a minimal fill can fail depending on the source file.

Are you using the Equinox file from Thingiverse?

Regards,

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I looked at it, but IIRC it seems an inner shell isn't being created when I use this method and importing it into 3D Builder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhyf_JttQEY

This seemed to work ok when doing the engine loops for the Orville I'm doing in 1/1400, though it created a blocked area with hollow inner/outer skin for the engine grill area I had cut out to be printed separately in clear.

I'm not using the one from Thingiverse, I had found a highly detailed .obj file one, like with the Orville. And thinking on it, that's probably the problem, it being not watertight or something.