Flying Legends 2021 - Your opinion on the ticket-prices?

spruecutter96

£50.00 per day per adult for the Saturday or Sunday. 

£25.00 for the Friday arrivals day. 

How do folks feel about these prices?

I'll put my cards on the table here..... I've booked a ticket for the Friday and the Sunday. I was pretty shocked when I first saw the prices, but then thought that it is almost certainly the only big airshow I'll do this year, so why not just go with it?

Chris.     

• Sad 1

I know it's been a while since I went to an airshow but 50 quid!? I used to to think 30 quid for Fairford was pricey 10 odd years ago and to be honest even if I lived 5 miles away I wouldn't pay that amount. 30 odd is reasonable for Duxford as it has the museum too but that would be my limit

Well yes, its expensive. But where else will you get a day of top-end 'entertainment' for that price? Our local theatre charges in excess of that for major productions, and I'm constantly shocked at the prices my kids pay for concert tickets. Seems an absolute bargain compared to what the British Grand Prix qualifying session cost me a couple of years ago (couldn't afford the actual race!).

In comparison with what else you can get for £50 it's not so bad. And this was (don't know about it in the new venue) the best warbird flying you'll see in the UK. Some say the world. You might find £50 expensive, but many people think it's worth many 100 pounds, travelling from round the world for this event.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

I think I would be happier about the prices if it was still at Duxford, to be honest. You had a huge, world-class aviation museum to walk around before the flying started, at Duxford. Sywell is a great venue, but it has considerably less to occupy the punters (inevitably, considering DX's situation). 

I really hope that Flying Legends is a huge success and that it's enjoyed by everyone who attends. I have a feeling that regular attendees might feel that it's a "lesser" experience than in previous years. Perhaps it will be a case of "you only appreciate what you have when it's gone". Time will tell on that one...

Chris.  

• Like 2

@ckw

I have to agree with all you've said there. £50 for a full day out is pretty reasonable compared to other events that may even last a few hours. Operating costs for these birds need added to the mix too. It's not cheap and post Shoreham, the insurance alone must be astronomical now. It's been 20 years since I was involved with the warbird scene, but it was expensive enough then.

• Like 1

Taking in to account the high cost of operating exotic aeroplanes and the organisation of the event, maybe that price is so so but I also feel its priced as that to limit the amount of attendees on account of the size of the airfield and traffic control.  Shame,  but I believe the hey days of the Duxford shows are now gone sadly.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 12:02 PM, Paul J said:

feel its priced as that to limit the amount of attendees on account of the size of the airfield and traffic control.  Shane  but I believe the hey days of the Duxford shows are now gone sadly.

Sywell will never be able to accommodate the kind of airshow visitor-numbers that Duxford could house with ease. The "floor-space" at Sywell is significantly smaller and the ticket-numbers will have to be tightly controlled as a result. Also, the road-system serving Sywell is a big factor - the airfield doesn't have the major advantage of the M11 passing by one end of its location. I would strongly recommend that anyone going to Flying Legends gets there as early as they can. I have a feeling that getting in and out of the airfield is going to be a major headache. 

I think you could well be right about Duxford's glory days being long gone.  The last air-show I attended there had a distinct air of "Yep, seen all these aircraft many times over" and the generally poor weather didn't help one little bit. If Duxford can't pull something really, really unusual out of the bag this year, then I think it's pretty unlikely I'll be going. 

Chris.       

Well, I will keep it in my memory. CV is slowing everything on earth anyway.

The exceptional events in Duxford are never to forget.

I think all organizations will have to develop new future concepts according CV rules.

The virus will accompany us like like ebb and flow.

Internationally meetings will hardly take place as it was in the next 5 years. Or even longer.

Happy modelling

I went (was taken) to Mildenhall once some 25+ years ago, that was a great day out, shame they stopped doing those events, I think a year previous or after we (the family) did a Duxford day also.  No way we would have gone to either if it cost £50.  Wouldn't even go now at that price.  Because it's not just the price of the ticket that you have to account for.

Sign of the times though, things have been getting quite expensive to do in recent years across the board, and Covid-19 will now be used as an excuse to bump up prices even more.  And you've got to be some kind of special to do things if, like me, you don't drive and have to rely on public transport!

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

That doesn't seem too expensive considering what's flying... Although I'd be happier if it were Duxford and included the museum! 

Yeovilton air day costs £30 (because the military displays are subsidised) a weekend ticket for the f1 costs about £350, a typical gig costs £30 and a ticket for your favourite rock band costs £200.

£50 seems fair for an awful lot of flying and a load of rare historic aircraft. At least it doesn't seem bad when I think the fuel for the Pa28 I fly costs £130 per hour!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, RobL said:

I went (was taken) to Mildenhall once some 25+ years ago, that was a great day out, shame they stopped doing those events, I think a year previous or after we (the family) did a Duxford day also.  No way we would have gone to either if it cost £50.  Wouldn't even go now at that price.  Because it's not just the price of the ticket that you have to account for.

Sign of the times though, things have been getting quite expensive to do in recent years across the board, and Covid-19 will now be used as an excuse to bump up prices even more.  And you've got to be some kind of special to do things if, like me, you don't drive and have to rely on public transport!

My Dad and I used to go to Mildenhall probably about the same time. Those yanks certainly know how to put on a show. 

I often see the Cocoa Beach air show when I am at my son's in Florida. Sit on the beach, watch a great airshow, all for free! 

• Like 1

When compared to 80 odd quid for one day at the Goodwood Revival meeting it looks like a bargain! As previously said it’s an enjoyable day out feeding your interests and perhaps you have saved on other outings this year due to the obvious, so say I we should all go for it regardless.

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1

FL at Duxford including parking wasn't too far off that price. 
35 for the day ticket, an additional 5 or so for parking (2019 prices). 

And another thing: if the orientation at Sywell means better lighting (Duxford means shooting against the sun in the afternoon) then I really don't mind. 
Heck, an evening at the pub costs more and the only thing you keep as memento is a pounding headache next day!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I seem to recall the 'early' tickets for FL in 2018 were £35 including parking, but don't quote me on that! 

Some of my mates have told me they have paid up to £100 for match day tickets to their favourite football team (I know nothing about football). 

It's probably worth remembering that the money you pay for FL literally funds vintage aircraft and allows these kinds of meets to happen. I'm sure someone is making some cash out of it, but at least you aren't paying for a bunch of millionaires to fall over on a field.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2021 at 12:02 PM, Paul J said:

Taking in to account the high cost of operating exotic aeroplanes and the organisation of the event, maybe that price is so so but I also feel its priced as that to limit the amount of attendees on account of the size of the airfield and traffic control.  Shane  but I believe the hey days of the Duxford shows are now gone sadly.

Hey Days of Dux gone, Hardly , you will probably end up see the same aircraft in different shows in DUX through the year and at other shows, the Hey day of Legends how ever was greatly reduced from years of old,, Old Warden has to be the best place for a UK show these days....

I think the key thing about Legends was not so much the type and number of aircraft flying, but the way they were flown. TBH, I doubt they'd be allowed to fly that way anymore even if FL were still at Duxford. 

Where most airshows are pretty processional - each aircraft or display team taking its turn - at Legends everything seemed to be happening at the same time - pretty much non-stop action. And finishing off with the trademark Balboa formation. I don't think there was anywhere else you could see and hear so many piston engines at the same time.

38 minutes ago, George Norman said:

Old Warden has to be the best place for a UK show these days

I'm inclined to agree, though a very different type of show.

Cheers

Colin

7 hours ago, alt-92 said:

And another thing: if the orientation at Sywell means better lighting (Duxford means shooting against the sun in the afternoon) then I really don't mind. 
Heck, an evening at the pub costs more and the only thing you keep as memento is a pounding headache next day!

You can add another fiver or so onto that for the flightline walk, which is included in the Sywell price as well as the parking, so the difference is very little. It also remains to be seen what Duxford will actually be charging for their two shows this year. The Sywell show is also offering extended hours and a sunset flightline walk which offers further value for money and could make for some excellent and unique photo opportunities. You make an excellent point regarding the orientation of the airfield, and a look at the site map suggests a bend in the display line at the NE end, which if put to full use could/should be excellent for topside images as they come round the bend.

I've booked for the Friday and Saturday, can't wait!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

However,  on a more serious note, while the cost of F L may not seem high per se, how many are likely to want to attend multiple events?

Doesn't seem to deter footballists or concert goers

26 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Low attendance due to high prices could end up killing some events.

Over regulation and insurance will do it quicker.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 4

No point in looking back and saying how cheap things were. Times have changed, and this is a private venture air show, not one run by the military subsidised by taxpayers.

Stop moaning and either go or don't. At least it is an air show, and when was the last time you went to one of those?

If you don't like the weekend price, go on Friday instead. 

You may even get to see the Tempest

Andy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Stop moaning and either go or don't. At least it is an air show, and when was the last time you went to one of those?

Questioning ticket-prices and moaning are two different things. Don't forget that, when reading something from a screen, it is all too easy to add your own "tone" to the text. That tone is projected by the reader and is often not intended by the author. My original question was genuinely to sound out how people felt about the prices - both good and bad. 

Chris.  

• Like 2

Perhaps it's more the 'seen it all before already' bits that gives that impression. 

Certainly caught my eye.. 

On the whole, I have to account for travel expenses and lodging, coming from overseas, so a tenner (or less) extra budget isn't really something to lie awake about at night if I'm brutally honest. 

British enthusiasts can get a bit blind to the home advantage they have compared to others around the world.  Spoilt for choice.

• Like 2

Sorry to say the Flying Legends website today reports the event planned for 2021 is cancelled.

https://www.flyinglegends.com/

'In the light of yesterday’s message (27.05.2021) from our Prime Minister, and the uncertainty surrounding the UK opening fully for business, it is with deep regret and a heavy heart that we must cancel this year’s event. We understand the government’s careful position but cannot safely stay the course in the light of the potential loss and lack of clarity so close to show time.

We sincerely apologise for the disappointing news but the circumstances are truly out of our control. We will be reimbursing all of you, our faithful friends of Flying Legends who pre-paid for tickets in the coming days.

Mark

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Perhaps it's more the 'seen it all before already' bits that gives that impression. 

Certainly caught my eye.. 

On the whole, I have to account for travel expenses and lodging, coming from overseas, so a tenner (or less) extra budget isn't really something to lie awake about at night if I'm brutally honest. 

British enthusiasts can get a bit blind to the home advantage they have compared to others around the world.  Spoilt for choice.

In the admission price there was mentioned that some of it also went to charity!

So not so expensive after all ...

Anyway I see options with the Sywell setup as I do believe there still be some planes that aren’t able to use Sywell during the show and need to come over from Duxford  to Sywell so a combined weekend of a day at Sywell and a day at Duxford sounds to me as a viable good option !

Anyhow we have to see how it develops as for this year the show is cancelled 😯

cheers, Jan

• Like 1