Airfix Model World port and starboard!

Red Dot

I am just reading the Blenheim model article in June's AMW and it talks of polishing and not painting the lower port cockpit window, yet the model photos clearly show the starboard side is unpainted.

The model is correct, as per the photos in the next article in the magazine, so someone at AMW needs to learn port is left and starboard is right!

I was just quite surprised to see such a basic error, twice, in this otherwise normally well edited magazine

Andy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 6:58 PM, dogsbody said:

It's this kind of thing that has stopped my from buying most model magazines. 

Chris

Bit drastic.....crabfats cant handle either pink and yellow ribbon for them

Still senior service have a good aide memorire pass the Port from the left🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

During my time testing airdrop loads I spent a lot of time in a Hercules looking backwards over the ramp and I had to force myself to remember my left was starboard and vice versa. Where it got really confusing was the Boat system I helped develop which exited the aircraft bow first so that the port gunwale was on the starboard side of the aircraft with the boat's stern facing the aircraft's forward bulkhead. Of course to us on board the aircraft the boat would appear to accelerate in the correct orientation as it left the aircraft when of course it was being decelerated by the extractor parachute. Port and starboard? It just depends on which way you are looking. 😉

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

During my time testing airdrop loads I spent a lot of time in a Hercules looking backwards over the ramp and I had to force myself to remember my left was starboard and vice versa. Where it got really confusing was the Boat system I helped develop which exited the aircraft bow first so that the port gunwale was on the starboard side of the aircraft with the boat's stern facing the aircraft's forward bulkhead. Of course to us on board the aircraft the boat would appear to accelerate in the correct orientation as it left the aircraft when of course it was being decelerated by the extractor parachute. Port and starboard? It just depends on which way you are looking. 😉

Hels hangar?

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

I did do 801 towards my time at BCE.

Being a technical rating and an HHI ,could never understand why your lot got the HELs billet ....still good for you....jealous 

Edited by junglierating
Too much info 😄

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, KLN said:

who says "Stbd" when speaking?

Nobody, but we were counting written letters, and Stbd is the standard written abbreviation. Both Port & Stbd are 4 letters when written, which negates the comparison with left to differentiate between them 🙂 

A senior army h'officer once told me; 'the port is always passed to the left' ' and 'never, ever, pass it the right'

But then, we were discussing etiquette in the officers' mess

On 6/10/2021 at 1:32 PM, junglierating said:

Bit drastic.....crabfats cant handle either pink and yellow ribbon for them

Steady there Shippers....

Golden Rivet Sah ?  Suits you sah !

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of errors in AMW, there’s one on the back cover of the new August issue.

Which shows a special edition Bae Hawk in livery which won a competition, to celebrate NHS charities. There are two schemes shown, one the competition winner and the other a version of the competition winner with Airfix logos.

The first livery is correctly titled, the title under the second livery is 

“de Havilland Mosquito B. XVI, 109 squadron ....”

30 minutes ago, Whofan said:

On the topic of errors in AMW, there’s one on the back cover of the new August issue.

Which shows a special edition Bae Hawk in livery which won a competition, to celebrate NHS charities. There are two schemes shown, one the competition winner and the other a version of the competition winner with Airfix logos.

And both aircraft on the box lid have the wing tip light colours flipped. Correct on the profiles though.

Paul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Thompson said:

And both aircraft on the box lid have the wing tip light colours flipped. Correct on the profiles though.

I didn't notice that!

21 hours ago, Whofan said:

Hi chaps,
It's probably fair to point out that the advert was more than likely laid out by Hornby/Airfix and supplied as a PDF to drop into the layout. There's usually an expectation in publishing that the adverts one is supplied with are 'print ready'. i.e they have been checked by the client already and are ready to go. It maybe of course that Key do the layout for the ads on their magazine for Airfix, in which case it's an 'oops' moment.

Just to clarify - for those who perhaps don't know. The magazine is owned and produced by Key Publishing. It's not owned by Hornby or Airfix.

Cheers

Jonners

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

It maybe of course that Key do the layout for the ads on their magazine for Airfix, in which case it's an 'oops' moment.

Cheers

Jonners

I know it's a minor point, but the box illo is to me more irritating than using the wrong image file for the profile - the aircraft lettering isn't flipped, so the illustrator has coloured the lights wrong, which he's probably mortified by, or flipped the image before adding the serials and lettering for composition prurposes but forgotten to ammend the tip lights.

Paul.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

It maybe of course that Key do the layout for the ads on their magazine for Airfix, in which case it's an 'oops' moment.

JOhn,

thanks for the explanation - and also to @Paul Thompson for his info, too.

I don't seek to criticise anyone for these little glitches, after all I've often written something and it's not come out the way it ought !

It shows me that people are - well, human, more than anything else. 

And I'm not sure that the odd mistakes I see in modelling magazines comes anywhere nesr the typos in the Guardian, which led to Private Eye calling it the Grauniad, which has now become an affectionate nick name for the newspaper !

I love Adam Tooby's artwork for Airfix but the odd errors creep in, like bronze collector rings on the engines in the Catalina box top art, or the missing tailplanes on one of the LIghtning artworks or the missing red stripes on the USAF insignia for the Korean War Mustang.