Nieuport 17 - Renwal 1/72 kit - An Oldie But Goodie....

This time around I built the Very Old (1968ish) Renwal Nieuport kit.   This kit, while similar to the venerable Revel/ESCI/Otaka kit in the way its laid out and builds.   The difference, however is that the Renwal has Heavy Wing Ribbing - probably overdone.    In this case, wanting to use some Nice Italian decals, I "converted" it to a Nieuport 11-ish  by giving it a 3/4 Cowling (from Toko Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter) and a separate Toko Nieuport Engine - rather than the Renwal original 360 Cowling/Engine.   I also added a Lewis Gun overhead to make it an Italian Nieuport 11  flown by Sgte Alvaro Leonardi,  80th Squadraglia, Spring 1917.   This was my first Renwal kit as they tend to be a bit rare and sometimes expensive.    Featured in some pics are the other parts of my Italian "fleet" - all using the same decal sheet.     Notice the Reversed Roundels - Italy finally settled on the at end of War.    The Green White Red is now used by the Iranian Air Force!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 13

I had a faint recollection that Renwal pioneered some kind of pre-pronted tissue paper covering for their biplanes.

This article goes into some depth about the 'Aeroskin' feature: https://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/a-history-of-renwal-aeroskin-kits/

Originally, the kit parts to be covered were open frame 'skeletons', but when I saw your "probably overdone" 😉 wing ribbing, I thought that perhaps this was another go at 'Aeroskin' covering.

Kind regards,

Joachim

The "Aeroskin" project I think postdates this model....the box cover makes no mention of this.   I do , However, have a Renwal Fokker D.VII that advertises this feature....it was a way to get around painting the model and to give it a kind of "cloth-covered" look.   I think the Neiuport maybe was made with this in mind....but then they stopped including the glue and Gauze that comprised the "Aeroskin"

Wonderful work!  - I love your display and I think the pilot figure sitting on the N.11 next to his Lewis gun is a nice touch.

I have to admit I have not heard of these kits and agree with you that the wing ribs have been molded far too heavy.

Regards

Dave

Here's a pic of a Renwal Aeroskin kit as originally issued. The airframe coverings, complete with insignia and other markings were to be cut out, leaving a bit of excess around the edges. They were then to be laid on the plastic moldings and liquid cement brushed over the "fabric" to permanently fix it in place. When dry, the excess around the edges was to be removed by filing with a file or emery board. If done properly, the Aeroskin over the heavily molded ribs left a fairly good impression of a fabric-covered wing. Renwal also released some similar 1/48 kits.

The kits were later re-issued but without the Aeroskin, resulting in some odd-looking models.

Sopwith Camel Aeroskin

Edited by Space Ranger