Boeing 727-100 Lufthansa delivery scheme Revell 1/144

Lufthansa took delivery of their first Boeing 727 in 1964 .

I always liked their livery from that time so I wanted to build one of my many Revell 727 kits in that scheme.

The decals are from Classic Airlines by Nick Webb.

They are nicely printed and fit almost perfect on the Revell kit.

The build was more or less OOB,I only changed the wheels and used the Airfix ones.

The kits wheels are too big and have no real detail on them.

The front gear doors were replaced with self made ones from evergreen plastic as well.

Paints are Revell 04 white,Testors aircraft grey and Gunze Super Metallic Chrome,with a gloss black base coat.Some panels are painted with Revell silver 90 to give some subtle differences.

They cant be seen well on the pictures but they are there.

The details come from the extensive decal set of the 2016 Germania release.

No weathering was done as I wanted to depict the 727 as she looked fresh off the production line.

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done!  I really like it!  The contours look good.  Did you have to make any modifications?

Thank you very much.

Aside from the change of wheels and the front gear doors,the kit is build OOB.

While closing the cockpit window holes with putty,I tried to correct the front windows' angle.The kit is a bit too flat there.It looks better now but I think it could be a bit more pointy.

I try again on the next one.

• Like 2

Very nice as always Alex. In the right hands the Revell kit produces a good model. It's hard to believe it first appeared in 1964, probably timed to coincide with Lufthansa taking delivery of the real aircraft.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Looks really neat.

I assumed you filled in the passenger cabin windows - which are represented by indenations on this kit.

Thank you very much.

Yes,the cabin windows were filled carefully.

Once again...very nice work, indeed, Alex. I have always loved the older Lufthansa livery...just so classic. And on this classic 727 it is gorgeous. I agree with Dave; a Revell 727 in the right hands can turn out as a very decent representation...and you have done so. When you were researching your model and the era of the livery, did you find that the over wing escape routes were actually painted on the aircraft in 1964? In all of my research I did not find that they were required or even painted on from the factory until 1969 or later, as a result of an FAA rule. Which would have meant that Boeing would have painted them on for every 727 rolling off the assembly line after then. At any rate, your beauty looks...well...beautiful indeed! :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Once again...very nice work, indeed, Alex. I have always loved the older Lufthansa livery...just so classic. And on this classic 727 it is gorgeous. I agree with Dave; a Revell 727 in the right hands can turn out as a very decent representation...and you have done so. When you were researching your model and the era of the livery, did you find that the over wing escape routes were actually painted on the aircraft in 1964? In all of my research I did not find that they were required or even painted on from the factory until 1969 or later, as a result of an FAA rule. Which would have meant that Boeing would have painted them on for every 727 rolling off the assembly line after then. At any rate, your beauty looks...well...beautiful indeed! :goodjob:

Thank you very much.

Regarding the wing escape routes,I indeed tried to find pictures that show the wings clearly to see if these markings were on.

Unfortunately I couldnt find any to prove me if they were there or not in that timeframe.

So I decided to place them on the wings anyway,as I thought,some markings must have been on the wings.Seemed somehow logical to me.

I must also admit that I never researched this matter deeply enough.

• Like 1