Apollo Seaking 66 versus Airfix new tool SAR Seaking

munnst

What are the external differences between an Apollo SAR and the new tool Airfix (Yellow) SAR?

How accurate is the Dragon Apollo 66 Seaking?

Wondering if swapping the Airfix kit for the Dragon kit is viable?

off the top o' me head;  the rotor blades need to be the older style and the hump on the engine doghouse needs to be removed.   There's a few more  lumps and bumps to be removed from the Airfix kit, but a few reference photos would help you there.   I converted it to a Canadian SeaKing with not much trouble.

Tony

Fundekals did a set for 'old 66'. As usual with them, well researched and nicely printed with an extensive set of instructions and information. I don't know if it is still available as their website is being rebuilt.

15 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

Fundekals did a set for 'old 66'. As usual with them, well researched and nicely printed with an extensive set of instructions and information. I don't know if it is still available as their website is being rebuilt.

my set from Apollo decals appears to be the definitive sheet; it supplies the markings and the reference to so the recovery Sea King for Apollos 8,10,11,&12.   It may have a Fundekal pedigree too.

Cheers, Tony

The Westland SeaKing has a six bladed tail rotor unit as opposed to thefive bladed ones built by Sikorsky, Agusta (at the time), Kawasaky.

That in addition to the other differences mentioned in the previous replies.

1 hour ago, Robertone139 said:

The Westland SeaKing has a six bladed tail rotor unit as opposed to thefive bladed ones built by Sikorsky, Agusta (at the time), Kawasaky.

Not all - the Mk 41 as delivered to the Marineflieger retained the five blader.

1 hour ago, Robertone139 said:

Not quite initially they were five then in the 80s went to six and then when Mk4 and ASacs went to carson mrb for Afghanistan they went back to 5 .

• Like 1

On 19/05/2021 at 10:49, munnst said:

What are the external differences between an Apollo SAR and the new tool Airfix (Yellow) SAR?

How accurate is the Dragon Apollo 66 Seaking?

Wondering if swapping the Airfix kit for the Dragon kit is viable?

If you are quick  ..

SH3D Sea King "Helo 66" Retrieving the Apollo & Apollo Command Mo (aviationmegastore.com)

just copy and paste in your browser as i can't get the link to work..

• 2 weeks later...