UFO Interceptor

I picked this up about 10 years ago just in a plastic bag with no clue of the manufacturer. A quick look on Scalemates shows it to be by Musasiya from Japan who mostly do figures. The instructions are all in Japanese, but the pictures are in English!

3ccbf518-05c6-4bda-8da4-7b9a7041509f.JPG

The parts are fairly decent with only a few bubbles, that I've put some filler into already, metal detail parts and pilot figure. The vacform canopies aren't very clear and are too big so I'll be making a new one. I've also drawn and printed some decals as the kit didn't come with any.

a5c057f3-3d41-4dbc-b551-260a5ef07587.JPG

For anyone who isn't sure what this is, or just likes purple wigs.... - https://www.facebook.com/GerryAndersonOfficial/videos/ufo-interceptors-immediate-launch/221768608763619/

Steve

• Like 9

10 hours ago, BritJet said:

the pictures are in English

That's got to help, I'm sure I've had some kits where even the pictures weren't in English more likely Egyptian hieroglyphic😏s

• Haha 1

Also,

I wasn't expecting this; I assumed it was going to be a 1960s experimental plane for a very high altitude version of the lightning! Shows what I know, though I do know considerably more since joining Britmodeller

• Like 1

On 18/05/2021 at 23:20, Pete in Lincs said:

You tease!

Watching this series as a kid, the purple wigs always seemed strange as they were part of the uniform, rather than a fashion decision by the individuals.

On 19/05/2021 at 09:02, Mjwomack said:

That's got to help, I'm sure I've had some kits where even the pictures weren't in English more likely Egyptian hieroglyphic😏s

I've had plenty of kits where the drawings actually hinder the construction!

On 19/05/2021 at 09:09, Mjwomack said:

Also,

I wasn't expecting this; I assumed it was going to be a 1960s experimental plane for a very high altitude version of the lightning! Shows what I know, though I do know considerably more since joining Britmodeller

I almost built this at the beginning of the GB but side-lined it until now and as I've had it for ages, it deserves to be built. I don't stray too much from building aircraft but the occasional bit of sci-fi has been known to happen.

As there are only a few major parts to this, they are now joined and some filler applied.

db94d11a-7fd4-42ba-85d5-fb88f6940ab9.JPG

18f8ad65-dbd4-4f66-a78c-6e1308a6f960.JPG

There is a part missing in my kit but it should be easy to replicate, it goes between the rear of the spine and the engine exhaust.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 4

I always wondered about the armament of these things. I know the "Sky" part of "SkyDiver" had cannon but did these interceptors have any as a back up for the one ruddy big missile in the nose - looks like there may be some troughs moulded in front of the canopy? The missile must have been guided given the way the target "saucers" wobbled about!😆

Pete

It would make sense to have a secondary armament , especially given how often the missiles of all three Interceptors missed the incoming UFO!  I don't remember ever seeing anything other than the missiles used in the TV series - I'll have to watch it again now for research purposes.... There are definitely three troughs in front of the cockpit with what look like cannons in them, but they would have to be very short to fit in that space.

The UFO was obviously wobbling on purpose to try and avoid being hit by the missiles  - I thought everybody knew that :lol:

I've rubbed down the filler and made a mould for the new canopy so a little bit of progress.

Steve

• Haha 2

Starting to look like a UFO Interceptor now all the major parts have been assembled and once the filler around the cockpit has been rubbed down I should be able to get a coat of primer on.

93a90e86-8276-43bc-80b3-d787172fc6fd.JPG

My kit annoyingly had two left stub wings so I had to make a replacement from plastic card

6cd0438c-6994-4358-b790-0914cf3d2892.JPG

Steve

• Like 6

The filler was soon rubbed down and a few pinholes filled after a coat of primer showed them up. I took advantage of the decent weather today and got some gloss white on which looks good. Next step is to vacform a new canopy using the mould I've made and get that fitted

d75fa25a-0564-4254-b42d-d2a31cd5e3f1.JPG
2d5b0647-2ba6-4972-823d-7a62163ea5b2.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 4

I haven't vacformed the canopy yet but have got the silver and black detail painting done. There are still a couple of parts to be added but it's getting closer to the finishing line now.

48273a3f-3d66-468a-9f71-c5fadd5bf449.JPG
4b84da55-0a5f-4a0a-a207-c5c8d347a8e3.JPG

A close up of the decals I've done for this.
d90801a4-b8df-4ce5-92fb-5e51186d1e44.JPG

Cheers.

Steve

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2021 at 22:36, Mike N said:

Loving those decals!

Cheers Mike, they were nice and easy, for a change!

I got this finished today - photos in the gallery;

d6562646-41fd-4b02-999a-c3334a5977e7.JPG

Steve

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mike N said:

That looks really nice. Weird, but nice.

Mike

Cheers. A product of the Gerry Anderson world and the 1960/early 70s - would you expect anything else!

Steve

The missiles we're meant to hit th incoming UFO which is travelling too fast - they are meant to saturate the space the UFO is about to traverse with hard radiation and shrapnel - they are area effect mines essentially rather than missiles.

Love this, I've built the Bandai 1:48 scale kit which has ridiculous decals in some sort of Spanglish! That decals sheet looks like it was printed from the image available on the Italian ISOSHADO site that I also ended up using on my build a few years back.

• Like 1

Cheers, the decal sheet was based on the ISOSHADO image but I re-drew everything in CoreDraw to get it all nice and sharp.

Steve