i36khHp.jpg

nzndNpB.jpg

One bit of aftermarket

XWW1R2R.jpg

pZKV1q6.jpg

VPEjXot.jpg

The main weapons of choice on this one will be

WyxdcXb.jpg

And, of course, some very well written and accurate research material.

RBkwn46.jpg

Some discussion of this kit by from some learned sources here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235061310-148-ilyushin-il-2-shturmovik-family-by-zvezda-released/page/3/

I'll make a start tomorrow after I've got this last night shift out of the way.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

Those Quinta instrument panels are just too cool. :coolio:  I've not seen the Zvezda kit before, so it'll be interesting to see how it measures up to the Tamiya kit.  A damn sight cheaper for Eastern European and Russian modellers, I'll wager :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Those Quinta instrument panels are just too cool. :coolio:  I've not seen the Zvezda kit before, so it'll be interesting to see how it measures up to the Tamiya kit.  A damn sight cheaper for Eastern European and Russian modellers, I'll wager :)

Thanks Mike,

I have both versions of the Tamiya Kit yelling at me from the pile but you're right I wanted to play with the Quinta Decals to see how they look.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Just now, AdrianMF said:

A very different kettle of fish from their 1/72 version, which is reboxed Toko. Looking forward to this one.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I will attempt not to butcher it completely.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Zvezda's new tool IL-2. 

TsIHXb3.jpg

mHdvu3m.jpg

fISnNvO.jpg

UsfwtC1.jpg

kkXilzU.jpg

zDBmo9p.jpg

wZhUg4k.jpg

t2HRQTx.jpg

nq2DDyX.jpg

i36khHp.jpg

nzndNpB.jpg

One bit of aftermarket

XWW1R2R.jpg

pZKV1q6.jpg

VPEjXot.jpg

The main weapons of choice on this one will be

WyxdcXb.jpg

And, of course, some very well written and accurate research material.

RBkwn46.jpg

Some discussion of this kit by from some learned sources here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235061310-148-ilyushin-il-2-shturmovik-family-by-zvezda-released/page/3/

I'll make a start tomorrow after I've got this last night shift out of the way.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

Looks great! Any thoughts on scheme? I love the winter version! Looking forward to seeing this develop (although it is the wrong scale ;) ).

• Like 2

Hi Alistair,

I've just read the discussion of the kit you linked to and am now totally baffled by wooden vs metal wings, 23mm vs 20mm cannon and the like. Have you managed to work out which aircraft you're building? It looks like a lovely kit, and I look forward to seeing how you tackle it, but it's still not too late to go back to the Simpsons! 

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Looks great! Any thoughts on scheme? I love the winter version! Looking forward to seeing this develop (although it is the wrong scale ;) ).

I haven't really thought about the scheme yet. The winter one does look good though, just don't know if I can pull it off.

Cheers,

Alistair

21 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Hi Alistair,

I've just read the discussion of the kit you linked to and am now totally baffled by wooden vs metal wings, 23mm vs 20mm cannon and the like. Have you managed to work out which aircraft you're building? It looks like a lovely kit, and I look forward to seeing how you tackle it, but it's still not too late to go back to the Simpsons! 

Craig.

The world of VVS discussion regarding colours and types is fraught with opinions but I'll use the book by our own Learstang and the wonderful site: https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/il-2/il-2.htm

for as much refence a my small brain can cope with.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice Alistair, don't know anything of the typebut looks an interesting machine.  The Quinta Studio bits look good will see how this progresses.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I fell in love with the plane by playing IL-2 Sturmovik on the PC. Looking forward to using the Quinta stuff.

Some may consider it cheating to use these but I'm all for laziness and simplicity. 😀

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I haven't really thought about the scheme yet. The winter one does look good though, just don't know if I can pull it off.

Cheers,

Alistair

Fair, easy for me to promote a scheme I won't paint! And I find white a nightmare to brush with, not sure how it is from an airbrush. No doubt this'll look great regardless!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Fair, easy for me to promote a scheme I won't paint! And I find white a nightmare to brush with, not sure how it is from an airbrush. No doubt this'll look great regardless!

The leetle grey cells are working overtime and I'm thinking it shouldn't be pristine anyway, so i can get away with saying it was put on in a hurry and it's supposed to look weathered. :whistle:

Spraying white I tend to use Tamiya Flat White. I find it covers really well in a couple of coats, wouldn't even attempt to brush Tamiya over such a large area.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AliGauld said:

The leetle grey cells are working overtime and I'm thinking it shouldn't be pristine anyway, so i can get away with saying it was put on in a hurry and it's supposed to look weathered. :whistle:

Spraying white I tend to use Tamiya Flat White. I find it covers really well in a couple of coats, wouldn't even attempt to brush Tamiya over such a large area.

Cheers,

Alistair

As I mentioned before, I started a Tamiya 1/72 IL-2 a few months ago and in my research was also finding that they were often very well used, so a lot of weathering makes sense to me. She's on pause for now while I focus on Hurricanes, but I'm sure at some point I'll want a Hurricane break and come back to her. In the meantime I'll enjoy watching yours!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great looking kit, Alistair, and although its not my scale and I'll be watching how the build goes. +1 for the winter scheme, too!

Cheers,

Mark

Not really my scale either. I grew up on 1/72, HO/OO and such. I've built 3 other 1/48 and I'm not a single scale person if I want the kit and it's an IL-2.

Admittedly I have another three from various manufacturers in 1/72, two in 1/48 and one in 1/32. There might be a pattern here which may require psychiatric help.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

There might be a pattern here which may require psychiatric help.

Ah, yes! I believe that's known as Hurricane Syndrome, when you have more examples of the same kit or type than can be shaken at with a hairy stick ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Plastic has been cut, glued and primed.

I didn't realise I needed green for the engine so used this.

KcFsYb2.jpg

Well, it's Russian and it's green. :wicked:

Last night parts were painted for the engine.

I1ZatU2.jpg

bP1ymEG.jpg

5zl20wJ.jpg

nQL2SQF.jpg

zAf5FTT.jpg

gAJrRPR.jpg

The instructions called for Tamiya X10 Blue Steel for this part and after some thought I realised that I had this and it's Gun Metal.

SRgRdVp.jpg

And this morning all stuck together.

vkLqq2E.jpg

s1Q7aPL.jpg

JImgXyD.jpg

Once the glue dries I'll give it a bit a dry brush and a wash.

There may be cockpit parts in the near furure.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

I gave the engine said dry brush and wash.

B4uxioD.jpg

H4iQ2no.jpg

kEJEppM.jpg

Might have overdone the dry brush a bit but it looks ok and it will get locked up in the fuselage and maybe never seen again.

Cockpit stuff was then primered. Lots of little bits here and cutting and cleaning was tricky.

eiJ8Mod.jpg

wAcndsX.jpg

pqr0edM.jpg

orGB96b.jpg

LNE86Xb.jpg

0VLK3Hu.jpg

One wee issue. The armoured glass partition needs masking and the framing on the cockpit side was well defined but there was none on the rear. 

I don't know if you are just supposed to paint one side but I wasn't comfortable with that so masked the front and then used those masks for the rear then remasked the front.

Need to see how that works.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

Here comes Quack, late to the party as usual.

Great start Ali - your dry brushing has brought the engine to life - not overdone at all if you ask me. 

Looking forward to more.

Q

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Here comes Quack, late to the party as usual.

Great start Ali - your dry brushing has brought the engine to life - not overdone at all if you ask me. 

Looking forward to more.

Q

Glad to see you.

Thanks very much.

A little more has been done this evening I've just sprayed the internal grey and black on the bits that require it.

I'll do some detail painting tomorrow and maybe get the cockpit assembled.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

I have done a wee bit of detail painting and then I applied the Quinta Decals.

pyz7h2F.jpg

HKRE9nY.jpg

uClawLU.jpg

7d3DOB4.jpg

m9a7cHm.jpg

I couldn't resist a quick dry fit to see

GLKX9dc.jpg

xH10i9e.jpg

jLL0Fwj.jpg

Rln3sDW.jpg

The Quintas were really easy to apply. I put a wee drop of canopy glue under each one and was surprised by how robust they are.

Thanks for looking,,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7