How long to finish building the kits in your stash (assuming you add no more)?

Filler

My stash number is fairly static in terms of types as most of my buys are 'better' kits than those already there (eg my MPM Wellington is never going to get built as the Airfix kit is so much better and possibly an easier build) land so stuff gets moved along. I have stopped worrying about the size of the stash and just get on building, the number of unmade kits is probably actually reducing. I don't think about the fact I am never going to finish everything as then you can start getting morbid. 

What I have started doing is those models I have always wanted to build, but have put off for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

Once when buying a model for my son at the Museum of Flight at East Fortune I mentioned the size of my stash as it was back then to the lady serving us.  "Ah" she said. "You are just like my husband - sable"

Odd thing to say i thought and then she explained

Stash

Acquired

Beyond

Life

Expectancy

If my son inherits the stash and starts building we might just both manage it combined :unsure:

• Like 8

I suppose I was thinking in the question that we’d realise that we need not buy any more kits. But who am I kidding? 116 years worth of kits or not, I will buy the Kinetic F-104S kit as soon as it’s out. So soon to be 118 years to finish my stash.

• Haha 1

There is also the symptom of "stash-itis" where you keep putting kits in it instead of building them in the hope that manufacturers will eventually bring out a newer toolings of those kits. They then go straight into the stash while you wait again for yet another new-tooling to correct the problems with the most recent release. And so it goes on until one day, you finally build what you think is the (almost) perfect kit and the stashed ones are then readied for sale.

Dave

• Like 3

Well lets see … I currently have 89 kits in the stash. My build rate for the last three years has been 2018 = 19, 2019 = 30, & 2020 = 38. Three years total equals 87, and Im trying to slow my build rate down currently as I have zero space for storage. Sadly just tossed about 15 models into the recycling bin today, mostly older kits that were rattle-canned or broken. So going on those numbers 3-4 years. I will be 53-54 when that runs out but as I will buy more in the mean time doubt I truly run out. 

Dennis

• Like 1

I think ageing has an impact on my attitude to the stash. When I was in my 40s I didn't care how large it was, subject to the space constraint of the loft size (just the eaves I hastened to add, as the house has a loft conversion). Now I'm in my early 60s things have changed, and I've been selling off kits at the rate of 10 a month or so and starting to build (not finish please note) around the same number a year. I did have around 680 and am now down to around 420.  I have broad modelling interests, and model in a variety of scales, so it's harder to rationalise the stash, or so I tell myself (I model WW1, interwar and WW2  land, sea and air subjects in 1/200, 1/350, 1/72, 1/48, 1/32, 1/24 or, and 1/35). I've ended up regretting selling kits that I've subsequently bought again, which is something I really wish to avoid.  I think I would be "happy" if I could reduce the stash to around 250 for my eventual retirement, which still sounds ridiculous to most non-modellers (and most of my family). Certainly, I've started to shun some new releases that a few years ago I would have been keen to acquire. 

Edited by iang
  • Like 2

Hmm.... I started an excel list back in the days when my stash was very reasonable but this list was not to count my stash but to check which extras I would like to add or which I have included in the bo, so I do not buy anything twice by mistake (yes - I lost overview). But even if I stop doeing anything but building kits I guess it would take a few centuries. Really need to start selling kits again. Sounds so easy when you are not in front of the peronal toy store in the basement...  At least the rate at which I buy kits has reduced a lot the past two years.

• Like 1

Sorry, finish?

I keep buying kits that never make it as far as the stash and then building them, so although I'm outputting I'm not throughputting.  Worryingly, during a build I tend to buy about three additional kits that do make it into the stash, too, so I think that whatever this "finish" means I'm very unlikely to see it anytime soon.  I have, however, just imposed a kit-buying moratorium on myself until the end of July - the day after I ordered two more Airfix Hurricanes.

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:51 AM, Admiral Puff said:

More to the point, how much longer will the universe last? In my case, it will need to be quite some time ...

Depends whether our universe is on some higher-dimensional being's shelf of doom......

Edited by IanHx
  • Haha 5

I sold 90% of my stash a couple of  years back when times were hard. The current stash is now bigger than the one I sold. Given my completion rate is way lower than the rate I keep buying new stuff, the stash will never be empty unless I have another massive clear out. Doesn't help that my tastes change often before I get to a kit I really wanted to build when I bought it. Now ask me if I care - that's a totally different question :D 

Andy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

currently buying them way ahead of completion rate so the heat death of the universe will come before the stash is finished 

Maybe this is why old kits don't fit together properly. The expansion of space-time since the kit was designed results in a big gap between the fuselage halves!

• Haha 7

Last year was an anomaly for me, I built 14 models (a feat I had not accomplished since 1963) and only acquired 14. This year I have finished 4 with 3 in process, have acquired 4 and 2 on preorder.  With more of the Fine Molds Phantoms (hopefully) being available later in the year the prospect of enlarging the stash looks imminent.  As to when the stash will be empty perhaps in a 100+ years?

It's not only the models in the stash it is also the books and magazines which I continue to acquire, at least I read those.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 10:44 PM, JohnT said:

Once when buying a model for my son at the Museum of Flight at East Fortune I mentioned the size of my stash as it was back then to the lady serving us.  "Ah" she said. "You are just like my husband - sable"

Odd thing to say i thought and then she explained

Stash

Acquired

Beyond

Life

Expectancy

If my son inherits the stash and starts building we might just both manage it combined :unsure:

According to the missus,  the knitters down here have their own version  -  STABLE  -   STash ABove Life Expectancy.

All I know for sure is that there are certain cupboard doors that I cannot open without re-enacting the Star Trek "overhead storage bin full of tribbles" scene with balls of yarn.......

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2