Tamiya 1/48 Focke-Wulf Fw190 D-9 JV44 +FINISHED+

Icarus

Morning.  I would like to contribute this build, originally stickered as £10, but purchased for less than this as part of an online auction bundle - I think the average price in the bundle netted out at £7.25.  I am not sure which Experten's aircraft I will build - I think the included figure is for Hptm. Waldemar Wübke, so it may be Rot 3.  I will need to do some investigating...

jnhZ8kVR88Dz7TkXDisdhmQFFskpgrH-IwBXrhhm

NXLX2DrR7FPFa5S1RmcXhPZSKu3jMG1w2XUML2Em

LKVCG4FpyehjkmDdz1IYQ-i1-4lPMF9HdcPvA7US

Looking forward to this one - especially masking all those stripes on the lower fuselage and wings!

Icarus

• Like 9

Hi Icarus and welcome to the the GB. Nice choice of kit too. Tamiya kits are usually very nice to build. Looking forward to following the progress of yours. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Nice one!  (I had thought about that,  because I have one in the stash, but I had no evidence of how much I paid for it, so I went for something different.) 

Great choice, and a great kit!  👍

Icarus - are you going to paint the red and white lines on the underside, or use the white line decals??

Philip

Thank you everyone.

Prenton - I am still not sure.  My initial instinct was to paint the lower surface white then mask off the stripes to add the red.  However, I do worry that there will be minor variations in the width of the masking, that will then be really obvious with such a vibrant red surround.

Maybe I will try this first, and if all goes downhill, I could always over paint the stripes and then add the decals?

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

A great choice of aircraft and kit, and at a bargain price too.

Being a Tamiya kit it should go together very nicely.

Painting and masking the underwing stripes sounds like the best option to me, and you can get tape in very small sizes down to 1mm which would make the job a lot easier.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, with the pre-decal varnish now laid on the "Unarmed GB" Splinter Alpha Jet, I have a 24h window to work on this build.  I am going to have the pilot figure in-situ, so no need to add any harnesses.  This is where things are this morning, after painting and weathering the pilot and cockpit. 

2dA6T8GvNcOWSWMy_-zEDk10RXr9y9TgYiKh2kFX

W9D4cFcqKvwdyHTe1ktPiKhxrGQfAVooA2BgmKcA

The lovely weather means photographing is a bit of a challenge with the high background light!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 6

Cockpit and pilot are looking good.

I did the 1/72 Airfix 190 from JV44 a while ago and used the white stripe decals supplied with the kit. Much to my surprise, they fitted and worked perfectly!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you for the comments everyone.  

Adrian - I'm inclined to do the same with this build, to be honest.

Anyway, being a Tamiya kit, this just clicks together.  This is where I was this evening, just before laying down the primer.  The only parts of this held together with glue are the fuselage halves, the seam of which has been sanded and polished.  I will glue the components together later.

xIvv36GEgBIoD4dAz7C_SpFqpDLaJW6CdkZP0jUW

EQiuAfSokGCjNqn4cebJoBwxl1-Oc-NlP0eWH9XT

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

Hi Icarus, there were 5 Focke-Wulf aircraft assigned to protect the jets of JV 44, numbered red 1,2,3,4 and 13.  Photos of red 2 have never been found so it's details are only speculation but I intend to make all 5 of them one day, I have the kits and decals all ready but I will be using the Eduard kits.  I will paint the underside white, mask off the stripes and then spray the red, the real machines were not perfectly finished.

IMG_0912

The Tamiya kit has a few accuracy issues but looks nice when finished, here's one in JG 301 markings.

IMG_0832

• Like 4

Morning all.  Just a few progress piccies here.

First, as this is a Tamiya kit, they supply 1:1 scale colour plans that mean you can generate paper masks via print offs of scanned copies:

ItVeBJIampSG5u1OnJWhLZCN-EAPi_Bia8WCz2_Q

1WNENa0kgAwplEJ975V1j2Oj-fgtjZEoULdcaXcz

This is where we are this morning.  I have just clicked the wings and tail planes into the fuselage to see if there are any ghastly errors.  I can see already that I will need to add a bit more RLM 83 to the tail plane roots, for example.

vuGGy8lgYjxoCOg4Bhfe_a5bn3TmwwEJsLUasb_m

ap5Yy3UqFWh2QEjt6gg8wbNigKgEzwYtNv1k0278

Scuff marks at the wing roots are done by the standard Alclad Airframe Aluminium/Maskol/paint/"stiff brush abrasion" method.  This looks a bit stark at the moment, but after the oil pin wash/pastel weathering later on, it will blend in more.

Next step - industrial quantities of kabuki tape masking, ready for the red/white stripe lower colours!  I will be going with the kit decals for the stripes, so this means painting the red on the sub assemblies, then gluing the wings and tail planes on, before then adding the decal stripes to ensure correct alignment.  Should be fun!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Typos
  • Like 7

So, change of plan here.  Having gone to the trouble of laying down a layer of white primer on the lower layer (and then having to the touch up the white specks that seemed to migrate to the upper surfaces of the wings) I am going with plan #1 - masking then adding the red layer, rather than use the kit decals.  I was also swayed by the 1:1 painting plans mentioned above - this will make placement of the relevant tape masks much easier.

Just waiting for some Tamiya 2mm "tape for curves" to arrive now...

Icarus

• Like 1

So, a bit of a delay whilst I awaited delivery of the 2mm tape.  Happily this arrived this morning, so I had a chance to replicate the somewhat flamboyant lower surface camouflage..

So far, so conventional, although the strips of removed masking tape on the cutting mat are a bit of a giveaway...

m3EyV_qA0lw28J1-rumTvquGBlShViT92xWuN8md

Ahem...

zRq4jumQTKUJRjS888p9AoPadPxl2qCaZRDUXfsp

A few minor touch ups needed, but overall I think the masking approach looks to have been a success.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 8

Good evening everyone.  The upswing in the CoVID rates have meant work has been busy, but I did get a bit of time this weekend to add the decals, and I am now in the midst of the weathering process.  These aircraft would not have been too weathered in use, so aiming to not overdo it, with a light oil pin wash and some pastels.  The chipping reflects reference photos.

Bvp-_AnekvJyOzUGsla2vBDrKBMj7vnLz-mQig2h

xkqzXlJLtQBafOmBUwo83GoVqDRhFZd66hokhTZb

As you can tell, the canopy has only been placed on in the top photo.  Still need to add the intrepid pilot, who would been Lt Heinz Sachsenburg according to the instructions.

I am also mid way through building the u/c.  Will add the delicate bits, then a final Satin varnish before installing the Lt and ending with unmasking the canopies.  Hoping to have this finished this week at some stage, so I can then focus fully on the T2 Jag in the Unarmed GB.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 4

• Icarus changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 Focke-Wulf Fw190 D-9 JV44 +FINISHED+

OK, well after some slow progress, the finishing straight for this build was actually pretty short.  All done.  The canopy isn't fixed as you can see in the photos.

nsnHR31Gts5_cn_BBnpk3CPk7tTNTsjf3ISGnuHa

bU9De51qsa5hjwMGI7G4bwPEMAvDxnGEilVilViM

0AA1U_Fi7x2Yosb6DW6qbeAYWVwO_8A47fXCjVlM

I'll put some decent photos in the Gallery.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions,

Icarus

• Like 4