Takom's M3 Lee is a pretty good kit marred by horrible decals. These things are thick as stickers! The markings, such as they are, are from war games held in South Carolina in early 1942; hence the funny stars. 

When I first finished this model at the start of 2020 I was really unhappy with my paint job and initial weathering attempts. I was about to throw it out, but I was studying Steven Załoga style on Missing Lynx and decided to try his light oil wash (Naples yellow) and dark dry-brush (Vallejo Olive Drab) approach to modeling a dusty tank. The lower hull and running gear were done up old school style with misty coats of earth colors. Some of the texturing on there is from my previous attempt at weathering, and kind of complements this one. I noticed that I have forgotten the ring of exposed steel on the rims.

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out (minus the decal edges you can see through the mud and dust layer -UGH!!) and will continue to practicing to emulate Zaloga's style on future models. It might not be the most realistic approach but I find it a lot less stressful for me, than trying to get pigments to stay exactly where I want them to! :)

PXL_20210518_010230576-XL.jpg

PXL_20210518_010216988-XL.jpg

PXL_20210518_010208827-XL.jpg

PXL_20210518_010200508-XL.jpg

• Like 25

Looks really good, especially the dusty surfaces! 👍

2 hours ago, SoftScience said:

the decal edges you can see through the mud and dust layer -UGH!!

If the pasted decals are too thick, sand them with 1500 or 2000 sandpaper before applying the varnish. In some places, the decals are scratched and the paint starts to show through. Looks natural enough:

spacer.png

I really liked this method and was very happy when I came up with it.

Vytautas

P.S. Maybe this is important, I use Micro Sol and Micro Set for sticking decals

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks really good, especially the dusty surfaces! 👍

If the pasted decals are too thick, sand them with 1500 or 2000 sandpaper before applying the varnish. In some places, the decals are scratched and the paint starts to show through. Looks natural enough:

spacer.png

I really liked this method and was very happy when I came up with it.

Vytautas

P.S. Maybe this is important, I use Micro Sol and Micro Set for sticking decals

Believe me, I applied microset, sol, Mr. Mark Softer, and all kinds of other solvents to these monsters. I also sanded them down with micromesh.  Trying to feather in the edges. It sort of worked on the turret decals, where there were no bolts to get in my way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SoftScience. Annoying about the decals but it certainly hasn't spoilt your fantastic M3 Lee!! I think the finish and weathering you have achieved are absolutley first rate!! Awesome modelling. Well done on getting it finished! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I really like it. I prefer painted on dust effects rather than pigments - far less messy!

You've certainly nailed it on this one. 

• Thanks 1