Hunter GA 11

expositor

Regarding colour schemes, FAA Hunters went to overall Dark Sea Grey in the mid '80s. Richard Ward in his book on the Hunter in RAF and FAA service mentions 1984 and I tend to regard his work very highly

IMHO XE707 looks DSG to me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat C said:

Not at this hour of the morning Graham ! 😁 70/71 they would have been XDSG over white with various training squadrons.

Memory is certainly a tricky thing, but I was only at Dunsfold for 1 year over 70/71 (dates inarguable) and the RN Hunters I saw were in a colour that looked closer to DSG than EDSG.  Whether they were overall that colour is perhaps another matter, and in view of the evidence I'm not claiming that.

From my recall, and studying photos, EDSG is very dark when new, lighter and bluish when less so.  DSG is not very dark and not very bluish, ever.  A few years later I modelled an RN Buccaneer using DSG for a non-new EDSG and it didn't look right at all.

1 hour ago, Pat C said:

Pics all from public sources - what do we reckon?

p1788095959-4.jpg

51193930319_85d8a8da82_b.jpg

51192448137_ccbb2f1329_b.jpg

I would say these all look the same colour - however, check the pic linked below which has thrown me somewhat.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/368943394445533808/the above are

All the above painted Dark Sea Grey...Comparisons made between FAA Phantom FG.1s and Buccaneers regarding the tone of Extra Dark Sea grey has been the subject of debate for many years...

Edited by TEZ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Memory is certainly a tricky thing, but I was only at Dunsfold for 1 year over 70/71 (dates inarguable) and the RN Hunters I saw were in a colour that looked closer to DSG than EDSG.  Whether they were overall that colour is perhaps another matter, and in view of the evidence I'm not claiming that.

From my recall, and studying photos, EDSG is very dark when new, lighter and bluish when less so.  DSG is not very dark and not very bluish, ever.  A few years later I modelled an RN Buccaneer using DSG for a non-new EDSG and it didn't look right at all.

DSG is lighter than EDSG but not hugely so: reflectivity is 10% for EDSG and 13% for DSG.

One thing I noticed is that whenever applied as a single colour on FAA types, DSG looked darker compared to the same colour used with Dark Green on RAF types. My feeling is that the presence of a darker colour in the RAF scheme made the grey look lighter than it was

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

XE707 is definitely EDSG. I helped in the preparation in a small way.

Guess it's my monitor that made it look lighter. Did she wear traces of the original paint when first arrived at the museum ? I've seen pictures taken while serving with FRADU and looked standard DSG as the other Hunters in those days

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 8:23 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Just spotted this thread.  Here's my FRADU FAA RN GA4 conversion, built 2007, using the Revell F6 kit as start point.

Whilst this model was a subject in a ARC GB during build, the photos were photobucket - lost.

The conversion parts were compared with other available sets, but no match established.

Revell-Hunter-GA11-001.jpg

Airbrushed overall Humbrol 164,  Dark Sea Grey.

I'd bumped into Neil Robinson, and I think Paul Lucas, on the SAM stand at IPMS Avon model show in 2005.
Paul sold me a resin GA4 conversion set for the then new Revell Hunter, consisting of a Harley Light nose. A mid section including two upper fuselage vents, a slightly smaller bore exhaust, and a hook. He said that a magazine article about the conversion, and offering the set for sale would soon appear. Well if it happened, I never saw it!
Much searching for appropriate decals, before starting this build. The nose and exhaust sections designed to fit the fit the kit without cutting, then fill the cannon ports and omit the shell casing collectors. I didn't risk that mid-fuselage section, prefering to represent the added vents with a blob of carefully positioned paint.
Represents XE861 VL, which at the time was a preserved and flying aircraft, based at Kemble, Gloucestershire.

I now have the masters for this set from Paul Lucas, but have not re-issued it yet, as I need to write up the instructions. It includes the Harley light, F.4 fuselage plug with 100 series vents , F.4 exhaust, tail hook and replacement main wheels and nose leg/wheel to correct under scale Revell parts. It should get re-issued in the Freightdog range soon, although the market is rather crowded. My set is the only one to improve the u/c.

Colin    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@TEZ what did you think of the pic of the GA11 with the T4s? They appear to have a different hue although On closer inspection the T4 wing looks a different hue to its fuselage so I wonder if it’s just light reflecting differently.

1 hour ago, Pat C said:

@TEZ what did you think of the pic of the GA11 with the T4s? They appear to have a different hue although On closer inspection the T4 wing looks a different hue to its fuselage so I wonder if it’s just light reflecting differently.

Hi Pat, can’t see the photo...Lots of variables concerning Dark Sea Grey. One, like you’ve pointed out, is how it’s affected by light. Weathering, wear and tear...Another one is the film/developing/photoshop stage. Another factor could be where the aircraft were sprayed after deep maintenance - Sea Harrier, and for that matter the Harrier in general went to St Athan for deep maintenance and finishing. The initial FRADU Hunters post ‘82 were sent to Hurn - Lovaux for refurbishment...

All I know is that GA.11s were painted the same as the Sea Harrier fleet post Falklands in overall Dark Sea Grey. A good comparison would be to find a photo showing a Hunter T.8M in the EDSG and White scheme alongside a Hunter in the later DG...

Edited by TEZ

1 hour ago, Pat C said:

Hi Pat, can’t see the photo...Lots of variables concerning Dark Sea Grey. One, like you’ve pointed out, is how it’s affected by light. Weathering, wear and tear...Another one is the film/developing/photoshop stage. Another factor could be where the aircraft were sprayed after deep maintenance - Sea Harrier, and for that matter the Harrier in general went to St Athan for deep maintenance and finishing. The initial FRADU Hunters post ‘82 were sent to Hurn - Lovaux for refurbishment...

All I know is that GA.11s were painted the same as the Sea Harrier fleet post Falklands in overall Dark Sea Grey. A good comparison would be to find a photo showing a Hunter T.8M in the EDSG and White scheme alongside a Hunter in the later DG...

• Like 1