A pair of cheap brothers

Over the last few days I got the cockpit parts painted up and assembled

Revell%201-72%20Fokker%20Dr.1%2C%20Manfr

Whilst closing up the fuselage the engine was attached, bottom and middle wings on as well

Interwing struts added, engine cowling and tailplanes on,

The instructions don't tell you but on the one piece interwing strut the portion between the bottom wing and the middle wing is shorter than the portion between the middle wing and the top wing. Get them upside down and they don't fit well.

Some fillers on the underneath seams, far more than what it needed

After I sand down that fillers I need to paint some areas red before more parts go on

Oh, and I drilled out the carb intakes on each side of the fuselage

• Like 5

As it is this evening; mgs mounted, overall a couple of coats of Humbrol 60 Scarlet. The paint  under the starboard lower wing has dried rough so I need to smooth that and re-paint and do a couple of tiny touch-ups

There is also a ghost seam along the bottom of fuselage. It doesn't show in the photo but it is visible to the eye. I'll need to sort that or it'll annoy me

• Like 5

On 6/15/2021 at 8:56 PM, Black Knight said:

As it is this evening; mgs mounted, overall a couple of coats of Humbrol 60 Scarlet. The paint  under the starboard lower wing has dried rough so I need to smooth that and re-paint and do a couple of tiny touch-ups

There is also a ghost seam along the bottom of fuselage. It doesn't show in the photo but it is visible to the eye. I'll need to sort that or it'll annoy me

I'm by no means an expert on WW1 aircraft but I think that Fokkers had a seam along the bottom where the canvas was joined. Maybe a small bit of stretched sprue to actually highlight it rather than try and eradicate it.

Clive.

• Like 1

Hi Black Knight. Looks like you are making excellent progress with this build too. Looking very impressive! :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 17/06/2021 at 18:35, dad's lad said:

I'm by no means an expert on WW1 aircraft but I think that Fokkers had a seam along the bottom where the canvas was joined. Maybe a small bit of stretched sprue to actually highlight it rather than try and eradicate it.

Maybe so, but I've filled it. Maybe next time

I had a short break from modelling

Back on this; some small paint touch-ups, some details painted and the top wing is now on

I'll slap some paint on the top wing and cabane struts then I suppose I'd better tackle the rigging.

I think there are only 5 more kit parts to put on; the rudder (painted & ready), 2 wheels (painted & ready), prop (painted & ready), foot-step. I think I'll try adding the lifting grips on the rear of the fuselage. I may make a better job of them on this than I did on Lothar's Dr.1

Getting a good smooth paint finish on this is as hard as it was on a MiG 15 in bare metal silver which I built recently

• Like 4

Another sleepless night so I got out the other blue box Dr.1 again

I got some painting done

~~~Just to show that its not the frames from the first one

• Like 1

I've just gone and bought another blue box Dr.1 (04116 kit, the better one). Only £6.99 on ebay

Oh dear, How sad, Never mind

(in my bestest Windsor Davies / Battery Sergeant Major Williams voice )

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I've just gone and bought another blue box Dr.1 (04116 kit, the better one). Only £6.99 on ebay

Oh dear, How sad, Never mind

(in my bestest Windsor Davies / Battery Sergeant Major Williams voice )

I’m very tempted to do the same after reading this thread. To make myself feel better about it I’ll check the LMS first.

Rigging is finally finished on the first of Manny's Dr.1s. Paintwork is being touched up and some details painted. I need to add the lift grips and the pilot's step.

Work continues on Manny's second Dr.1, maybe some photos later but they are sort of just repeats of no.1 build

Yesterday I got all my stash moved from storage to my flat to sort it out

Guess what?

I found another blue box Dr.1!

Not in the WW1 types box but in with the F4 Phantoms!

Oddly, it was sealed up but the kit wasn't in a bag and there are no decals / transfers

• Like 4

Not really if you knew how mixed up my stash has become

Here's the spooky bit; in the bottom of that F4 Phantom box is a Revell kit. With markings for a German F4F of JG71 'Richthofen' !

This one; https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04615-f-4f-phantom-ii--103784

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

mixed up my stash

Excel is your friend! With a sharpie labelling each box of boxes!!  Obviously, I was told this by a friend who has a worse stash problem than me…. :)

Regards,

Adrian

I have it all on spreadsheets and every box of boxes is marked, but over the last few years its all got mixed up with me not putting kits in the correct boxes and/or updating the spreadsheets, so its time for a new stock-taking

The first of Manny's Dr.1s is finished. I'll take the glamour photos for the Gallery later.

I used the old kit's decals and they went on very nicely. I did use a cross decal from my file sheet on the fuselage as the black cross on the kit decal was too thin

As the second of Manny's Dr.1s is today

• Like 4

Another super result! When they are side by side, is there a massive difference between the old and new mouldings? I have the new kit so I know it has more parts and very nice detail, especially inside, but I just wonder if that shows up on the shelf, because the old one looks pretty good to me.

Regards,

Adrian

Both kits have their good points and bad points. 

I prefer the engine in the older kit. It has more detail on the crank case. Its an unnecessary build to put the intake pipes on as a part, moulded on as in the old kit is fine. The machine guns on the old kit are fine. The propeller on the new kit is better and more accurate. The wheels on the new kit are slightly better with hub detail on the insides. The new kit has the inter-wing struts as one part, much easier for to get the top wing aligned but they and the cabane struts have very fine locating pins which dissolved in the glue

Fokker Dr.1 425/17 of Manfred von Richthofen, April 1918

Fokker%20Dr.1%2C%20Manfred%20von%20Richt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi BK. Just been checking out your Fokker Dr.1 425/17 of Manfred von Richthofen in the Gallery. What a supeb result!! You really have done a fantastic job with this build! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Now, where we?

Work continues

As it sits this evening

I'll slap some Scarlet on that top wing tonight

I'm just doing the same build sequence as I did for the first of Manny's Dr.1s

Ps. The tailplane struts and the cabane struts* were short moulded. I stretched some kit sprue for the tailplane struts but just balanced the cabane struts in place

* it was the rear strut of each pair

• Like 2