A pair of cheap brothers

Two similar but different kits to be done in the markings of two brothers, one of which is extremely famous.

Read through to find out who they are,  :lol:

Two Revell Fokker Dr.1 kits

One is the very old Revell kit dating from 1966. This boxing being from 1978

Revell%201-72%20Fokker%20Dr.1%2C%20Lotha

The second kit is a more recent one, from 2003.

Revell%201-72%20Fokker%20Dr.1%2C%20Manfr

Now this is where it all gets messy or confusing. I'm going to sort-of cross-kit these.

The older kit has the decals of Manfred von Richthofen's 425/17 of April 21st 1918 but the decals are in a very poor state

The newer kit has Manfred von Richthofen's 425/17 of March 1918 plus ones for Lothar von Richthofen's 454/17 of March 1918

I intend using the decals for Lothar on the older kit and making up the necessary Balkenkreuz for Manfred's Dr.1 from spares or painting over some Cross Pattee markings

I may draw on some spare decals in my files, including from this sheet

The older Dr.1 kit cost me £7.94 and the newer one £8, both off ebay from different sellers and those prices included postage

For some odd reason the prices of 1/72 Fokker Dr.1 kits are going Uber on ebay.

I can, and might pick up, a very old but new issue kit of a 1/48 Fokker Dr.1 in my LMS for £8

I hope to get on to these very soon.

I only have one 1/72 Fokker F.1 and five 1/72 Fokker Dr.1s built and as yet I don't have 425/17 of April 1918 done. Its about time I corrected that omission 

• Like 13

Hi Black Knight and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. A what a great idea for a project, or two, as well! Really looking forward to following your progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

I don't know if this is

a. good

b. bad or

c. sad

Over the last couple of days I've bought two more Dr.1. 

One each the same as the two above but each one a bit cheaper. They should be with me about the middle of next week.

I hope to get started on these two this coming weekend. At the moment I'm finishing a MiG 15, two Gnats, an Pe-2 and refurbishing & correcting an old build of an Airfix Dr.1 which they issued as an F.1

• Like 3

On 20/05/2021 at 22:05, Black Knight said:

I don't know if this is

a. good

b. bad or

c. sad

I  vote option A :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

The second blue-box Dr.1 arrived this morning

That one cost me £7.49 inc postage off ebay

I'm thinking I could do M v R's Dr.1 425/17 of early March 1918 and of late March/April 1918 - just cos I can

I have MvR's 152/17 made

• Like 2

I've made a start.

By chance, I'm starting on Lothar's Dr.1  By chance as the old Revell kit box was on the top of the pile

Nothing to show yet, Just cleaning up the parts, drilled some holes for rigging, a bit of primer on some parts. Usually I don't prime except after using fillers but this strong red plastic needs some grey primer.

Either this old kit was really good in its day or Revell re-cut the mould at some time because generally the detail is very excellent on it, A bit heavy on the wings' fabric but the engine and machineguns have nice detail.

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

At least he didn’t option Good, Bad and Ugly :D

oh, I'd never call the Fokker Dr.1 ugly!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I'm starting on Lothar's Dr.1  By chance as the old Revell kit box was on the top of the pile

Oooh a Lothar build ! Is it this build ? Id like to follow as his Yellow planes are some of my favorites. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Well this has a theme running through it :) 

The old Revell WWI kits were all pretty nice (if not entirely accurate sometimes) but the newer release of the Dr 1 is amazing. 

Looking forward to your build(s), and your take on the “olive drab applied badly with a broom” paintwork.

Regards,

Adrian

A lot of the minor parts are painted and ready to fit.

This old kit just has an oversized seat for the supplied pilot. I cut the seat down and cobbled up a bit of a cockpit interior

The fuselage halves have been joined. The seam needs some fillers and then smoothing down, then the wings and engine and its cowling can go on

This might be a rather quick build.

• Like 5

The second of the latest kits arrived this morning

I put the decals from the first older kit under my UV light and they've cleared up nicely. I think they may be useable

• Like 2

Just to show I'm actually working on this.

Lots of time between stages as I use enamel paints mostly and they take time to dry. Plus it takes time to drill the small holes for the rigging and control wires.

Earlier this evening; control horns added to the rudder, elevators and ailerons and holes drilled for their control cables, matt white acrylic on the aft half of the fuselage and the tail planes & rudder

All the small parts are painted and ready to go on;

I see I need to tidy the paint job on that wheel on the right, although it looks fine in the hand

I use gloss orange enamel as an undercoat/base coat for yellows and reds. A coat of gloss orange on the aft half of the fuselage and tail planes and a first coat on the top of the top wing. I'll leave this to dry overnight, then yellow on the fuselage & tail planes. When thats done I can move the masking onto the yellow so I can do the streaky olive-green on the forward half of the fuselage and the top of the lower wing (the top of the middle wing is done)

Look for 454/17, about 2/3rds down on here to see what Lothar's Dr.1 will (well maybe, should) look like when its done

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/416/59/4#2

• Like 7

Masking on these wee DRs is fiddly. Measure for the cross, put tape on, measure again, remove tape, adjust spacing and replace tape, repeat. . . . 

Some colour is now on Lothar's DR.1. 

As its a Revell kit they recommend their yellow, number 15. As it happens I have a tin of this so I thought I may as well use it. Even thinned its quite thick and dries very fast but coverage was excellent

Major assembly can begin and some painting touch-ups and improvements

By happenstance, the newest issue of Cross and Cockade has an article about Sir Albert Ball's letter to the Richthofen brothers' mother 

• Like 3

Sleepless night so I put the time to use.

With a lot of the parts pre-prepped it doesn't take long to assemble

I need to let the glue set on the first set of inter-wing struts and the u/c assembly before I continue.

I've rigged the u/c. That has made it a bit more solid

• Like 6

The old Airfix kit was a bit on the heavy side but the Revell kit when it first came out was much better with nice thin wings - I built 2, one Manfred Von R in red and one Fritz Kempf in green with his lettering above the wings" - Kempf - remember me" or whatever. I have a Roden FI to build as the machine Voss used. I bought a load of White Ensign Colourcoats WWI paints - Fokker green/olive being amongst them., together with the paler green for a Pfalz DXII. Must make a start on them and the Eastern Express kits before long. Maybe in the High Wing GB - we will see.

Yours is looking good BN.

Pete

So far; almost all the rigging is done, just the aileron wires to do, after the top wing is complete. Some small details added as well

The decals from the old kit, this one, were put under my UV light for a few days and they've de-yellowed quite nicely. I've also given them a coating of LDF

Before

After

• Like 5

Hi BK and well done on getting your build into the Gallery!! A fantastic and colourful result! Very well done and and thank you for building it in this GB. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the 'Likes' here and in the Gallery peeps.

They are appreciated

I've never started on Manfred's Dr.1s 

I'm nearly finished with a Tiger I tank and a Fokker Eindecker E.III is on-going but should be finished soon so I may start the Dr.1s soon

• Like 3

I started on one of the newer Dr.1s this evening.

Nowt to show yet, just slapping some grey primer on parts that aren't going to be red

This newer kit is superb; fine details in the cockpit, holes through the tailplanes for control wires, rigging and control wire places marked for drilling out

I was going to do the two Manny DRs together but now I can't be bothered. One at a time will do

• Like 2