There once was a lady called Avia....

Davek72

So on Friday night I finished a big work project and on Saturday my mind turned back to modelling after some enforced downtime.  "Less than a Tenner" looks fun thought I but what do I have in the stash?  Not much is the answer!  There were a few job lot bundles but not sure how the rules work for those but then I spotted this:

51184077979_145533f6d0_b.jpg

I checked my Hannants account and found it was purchased on 23 March 2020 for the sum of £7.47 in one of their clearance special offers.  I think I picked it up to bump up my order to get free postage.

Now I really like Eduard kits and understand this is a good one but I genuinely don't know much about the aircraft.  What I do know is is really like the second scheme:

51184077934_2605298248_b.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to paint this 😉  I think dilute white and a very small brush.  Before anyone suggests it I cannot airbrush this fine.  Beyond my skills and eyesight.

The obligatory sprue shot.

51184077989_5de463d773_b.jpg

As always all comments very welcome.

Dave

• Like 12

I remember building the KP version of this when I'd just discovered them in a dusty corner of Beatties. The top wing wasn't level or square to the fuselage but I finished it and was proud of managing it :D Think yours will knock spots of that one. 

I'd go with dilute white and a brush. That looks like how the original was done from that picture and you can't get more authentic than that.

Andy

Looks like a nice kit!

As a total airbrush noob myself lacking the skills to freehand something like that my first thought was, spray it white, use a brush to paint the pattern with masking fluid then spray it green.

Full disclaimer that may be a terrible idea and I advise waiting to see if anyone else has a better idea 🤣

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I remember building the KP version of this when I'd just discovered them in a dusty corner of Beatties. The top wing wasn't level or square to the fuselage but I finished it and was proud of managing it :D Think yours will knock spots of that one. 

I'd go with dilute white and a brush. That looks like how the original was done from that picture and you can't get more authentic than that.

Andy

Thanks Andy I am sure your build was much better than you describe 😉

9 hours ago, Ravnos said:

Looks like a nice kit!

As a total airbrush noob myself lacking the skills to freehand something like that my first thought was, spray it white, use a brush to paint the pattern with masking fluid then spray it green.

Full disclaimer that may be a terrible idea and I advise waiting to see if anyone else has a better idea 🤣

Cheers Ravnos. That actually sounds like something I could manage 🧐. I may have to do some testing.

• Like 1

Hi Dave and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. And that looks like a nice kit too. Looking forward to following your progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

11 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Dave and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. And that looks like a nice kit too. Looking forward to following your progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

Some progress.   All of the cockpit components are done.  There is some lovely detail there but as is so often the case it is all going to disappear once the fuselage is closed up and the canopy on.  Never mind, as the old saying goes "I'll know its there".

51189586604_c263f60511_b.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

On 5/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, PlaStix said:

Nice to see this one underway Dave and good progress already! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

On 5/20/2021 at 9:35 PM, jackroadkill said:

I can't wait to see what you do with this build - she's a proper looker.

Thanks. It is going to be fun.  Whether she ends up a looker is another matter 😀

• Like 1

This is a kit I'll get hold of one day, looks interesting.  If brush painting the camo I would just use diluted white, maybe even kids watercolour paint.

For airbrushing I would spray the white overall then use mini-sausages of Blu-Tack to form the pattern and spray the Green.

:goodjob:

Davey.

LEGO!!................sorry.....just noticed your kit's there too!! Love Lego!

Your aircraft looks great too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 4 weeks later...

Made a bit of progress….

51258081680_1edb5cac88_b.jpg

But we may have a slight problem.  Looks like the carpet monster may have got one of the undercarriage stuts.   It’s not on the sprue and I can’t find it anywhere.  Doh.   If I can’t find it then this one is going to stall.

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Dave. Any joy finding the missing strut? I hope so, because your build was looking great in that last photo.

Kind regards,

Stix