SS, unarmed

vppelt68

SS as in Super Sport, Chevrolet's simple way of branding the sporty performance versions of their normally not so sporty not so performance oriented models. But oh boy, what a change those two letters in some cases could lead to! This time it's the mid-80's boxy GM G-body mid size Monte Carlo, :hmmm:if you're interested, you better read more here:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/1983-88-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-buyers-guide/

I bought and built one of these Monogram NASCAR models when they became available back in 1983. My build back then was Darrell Waltrip's 1982 Piston... erm, Winston Cup winning, Mountain Dew sponsored Buick Regal. Believe me, this Chevy Monte Carlo kit is at least 98% the same plastics!

2021-05-17_07-57-34

I bought this kit last week, with an intention to build it in the Revell-o-Gram GB next year. Yeah, right. Instead, there's now three more of these on order :coolio:. Tonight I started messing with the parts, and a few hours later I had only managed to assemble these small subassemblies :rofl2:

2021-05-17_09-24-57

Shouldn't these go together the other way around? Anyway, this bud's for me :cheers:

• Like 8

It would've taken me umpteen hours (and actually it would've been impossible) to brush paint the roll cage after it was assembled. Thanks to viewing several hpiguys Workshop YT videos of their Salvinos JR ~ Monogram NASCAR builds, I knew that even a rookie like me could handle the paintwork with a rattle can. In my case, a 10+ years old can of Games Workshop Chaos Black!

IMG_20210518_175133

I would've never achieve a finish like this with a brush, btw. The driver's "window" safety net I masked with tape, as that will later be painted red. While I had the rattle can at hand, I also shot the '57 Chevy chassis and some other parts too, Chaos Black. It was a perfect weather in my outdoor paint shop, no ⛈️

IMG_20210518_175058

• Like 8

Nice to see this making an appearance in the GB, it's coming together quickly. Since this was first mentioned in the Revell o Gram GB thread I've also spent more than a few hours on YouTube watching videos of Salvinos JR builds as well as some 1980's NASCAR races. I'm very tempted to build one of mine as I've got about a dozen Monogram NASCAR kits in the stash along with a few AMT kits.

• Like 1

Ok the chassis is done and the decals are on the carbody.

IMG_20210528_203242

Wait, it still doesn't look right :hmmm:

IMG_20210528_203333

Maybe I should try it the other way around, the carbody on the decals... no, not any better :winkgrin:

The fit of the engine wrapping exhaust headers is not good down there, but improving that would've required too much work. Once the decals are applied and the carbody on the chassis, I'll never lift her up to see the belly!

Seriously (who, me :whistle:) the SS is now taking an early summer holiday. The decals need more UV treatment to get rid of some yellowing and I'll get back to finishing this just before the GB ends. Sounds like a good plan, eh? tbc...

V-P

• Like 6