Airfix 1/76 88mm Gun & Sd.Kfz.7 Tractor - finished

JeroenS

Hello everyone, I'll be building the old Airfix offering for the 88mm Gun and Tractor. 

20210517194326-32e27133-me.jpg

It's the 2012 rebox from the 1967 kit so I hope the mouldings will still be ok. I built Airfix's small scale Scammel and Tank Transporter a while ago which is from the same era and was still good to build.

At first glance the parts look pretty good so things should work out fine I reckon. 

20210517200239-26f538ab-me.jpg

As it is, I may have too many builds on the go but still, it could be worse. One more can't hurt 🙂 

I may be able make a start on this later this evening. 

• Like 10

I always wanted to build one of these as a kid, either couldn’t find it or didn’t have enough pocket money when I did see one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

All that's left of the one I did at least 45 years ago.

I imagine your's will turn out better than mine.

I have to say the gun actually looks that old! Nice. And anyway, you still have stuff from long ago, exactly nothing survived from my first modelling career back in the '70's and early '80's. My models always fell apart after a month or two. 

• Like 1

Hi Jeroen and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. Looks like a good choice of kit for this GB too. I'm looking forward to following you progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Tiniest bit of progress. The moulds have seen better days but let's not complain about that shall we. This kit is older than I am. And yes, I've seen better days too. So I decided not to let it bother me too much. I clean up to the best of my abilities and I don't think it's too noticeable unless you're wearing Optivisors 🙂 

So, I thought I'd start with the trailer. Font axle assembly and gun mount completed. 

20210518212445-9b5e4db4-me.jpg

Annnd that's it for now... it does take a bit of time though, what with these small parts, some careful cleanup around pointy bits and such... 

• Like 7

Crikey. I remember buying this when it first came out and being quite excited about it too.  1967? Worked out I was 14 but thought I was younger. 
looking forward to seeing this one play out 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

... and also I loved the plastic colour because it meant that you only had to paint the tyres... :)

I know exactly what you mean... In fact, I didn't even paint my models as a kid. I liked the building process, but I had no idea how to paint them and the times I tried the result was... not satisfactory. So I relied totally on the colour of what they put in the box 🙂 

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:
5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

... and also I loved the plastic colour because it meant that you only had to paint the tyres... :)

I know exactly what you mean... In fact, I didn't even paint my models as a kid. I liked the building process, but I had no idea how to paint them and the times I tried the result was... not satisfactory. So I relied totally on the colour of what they put in the box 🙂 

Indeed, as a wee lad building was fun and easy, painting was a struggle as I had little choice of paints and not much in the way of a paint brush. I can't forget those old 48 scale Aurora kits moulded in glorious coloured plastic - purple Messerschmitt 109, black Focke Wulf 190, yellow Japanese Zero, blue P-38 ( I think ) and a Spitfire ( blue or silver maybe ? ) and many others in various interesting colours. At least the colour of the plastic in newer kits is a bit more mainstream realistic.

cheers, Graham 

• Like 2

I thought maybe I could finish the gun assembly tonight. Yeah right, try the centre part with the barrel... Cleanup and repairs cost me 1,5 hours!

This was after removing most of the mould lines. 

20210520214213-c7c310ee-me.jpg

You can see there's still lots of stray bits to remove. Not to mention the two big fat ejection marks, as usual in inconvenient places. 

After round 2. 

20210520214213-626be45a-me.jpg

Really, a couple of separate parts would have been much better. But this is all one part. 

After round 3 of repairs. 

20210520214214-4c8f89e7-me.jpg

This will do. 

20210520214212-df1b6ed8-me.jpg

I drilled the barrel as well. 

• Like 13

Hi Jeroen. It is odd that, when you think something's going to be fairly quick - it often takes a lot longer!! I've had that a couple of times on my two builds for this GB. Looks like you've done a good job of cleaning it up though! Very presentable! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

So, today I'm doing nothing but modelling. It's been too long since I've had such a day so I feel entitled 🙂 

I finished the gun assembly. It looks pretty good considering the age of the kit. 

20210523115303-96fec5ee-me.jpg

It's not stuffed with detail but there's enough there. 

20210523115303-1f7aa07b-me.jpg

The gun itself can move up and down. 

20210523115304-ed7ebc57-me.jpg

20210523115304-fc06a146-me.jpg

And here it is with both bogies (wheels dry fitted). 

20210523115302-d2538c55-me.jpg

I can now start on the tractor unit. 

• Like 8

The chassis and body built up well enough, no troubles there. 

20210523203609-8783db9b-me.jpg

20210523203609-b10bd9e3-me.jpg

20210523203608-34b5cba3-me.jpg

I'll paint both parts separately and put on the road wheels and tracks before mating them. 

• Like 9

You are making excellent progress Jeroen and you are really making it look fantastic for such an old kit! Very well done!

Your photography is excellent too.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

So, a quick question about the tracks... They are of the "rubber band" type, I've never had to deal with those before. Any "don't do this" type of tips? Can I spray them with Mr Surfacer primer? Is it best to paint them before or after mounting them? What kind of glue to use? Thanks!

20210528124339-36318e19-me.jpg

On 5/19/2021 at 7:19 AM, AdrianMF said:

I was the same with the original Airfix Bf109G in that lovely pale blue. Propellor and wheels all black and a coating of H27 on the top of the wings and fuselage. Looked the bees knees to me at the time.

Clive

• Haha 1

That's looking rather good so far old fruit :speak_cool: .

As far as the tracks go they can be entertainment itself.During the last LTAT I built a Churchill tank and had to work for it to get the tracks anywhere near.I used cellulose thinner to thin the paint in the vain hope that it would stick,it's at school at the moment so I can't have a look but I think that the paint is still intact and happy.It is possible to stretch the tracks in hot water,the temptation to pull them overlength is difficult to avoid.I'm still toying with the idea of making a proper stretcher that is adjustable for length and waterproof to do the job properly.

• Like 1