1/700 KMS Bismarck——"Operation Rheinübung" 80th Anniversary

Hi mates

Here comes my latest collection, a collaborate work by my friend and myself, to memorize one of the most famous WWII battleship, KMS Bismarck which was sunk 80 years ago.

The model was mainly built by my friend Xiaohui Mu, retouched/modified/rigging and photoed by me.

Kit:

Flyhawk 1132S 1/700 Bismarck deluxe ver.

Aftermarket goods:

K2 studio 3D printed Bismarck barrel canvas

YX model 3D printed anchor chain

Shipyard Bismarck PE & metal parts full set

Shipyard Bismarck metal badge

Flyhawk metal barrels (shorter ver. to fit canvas)

Northstar 1/700 Kriegsmarine sailor figures

Modelkasten 0.06mm metal rigging

Customize ordered wooden deck & acrylic clear cover

It took us more than 4 months to finish it and hope it will match the 80th anniversary of Bismarck's short voyage in North Atlantic.

Thanks for watching.

01.jpg02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Edited by haneto
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 1

I also used some newspaper when Bismarck was sunk, downloaded from Internet as background to take photos.

Hope it will remind you about the history and story behind this ship...

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

That's all.

Thanks for watching!

43.jpg

44.jpg

Yufei Mao

• Like 19

Looks at my half complete 1/350 scale Bismarck, looks back to this page, looks again at my version, then at bin, wipes tears away, decides not to bin, but goes to bed early.

Seriously though, amazing build, not sure how you packed such detail into so small a scale, and as Bitzer has said, rigging is quite exquisite (probably the best I've seen)!

Oh here come the tears again...

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Er ...bit lost for words, I am finding it hard to accept that this is 1/700, simply beautifully done, and as already said, the rigging would be insanely good for any scale.... er .....sorry, ran out of words again !! 
Brilliant

At any scale this is a masterclass in modelling, but 1/700th makes it even harder to understand you you both managed this. Just superb on every level, build, painting and even photography. Outstanding work well done.

Quite incredible! Thanks for sharing with us all. I’ve been thinking of trying my hand at a ship and 1/700 would the scale of go for and this makes me want to get the bank card out and give it a go!

Edited by GRK

Gidday again, I guess it's no coincidence that you've posted this model just now. It's eighty years ago today (18th May) that she sailed from Gdynia. She was sunk on the 27th. RIP all sailors of any navy who died serving their country.

And I'll repeat, a superb model with exquisite detail. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

This beggars belief, outstanding in every way, the aircraft being recovered by the crane is insane in its finesse and detail, congratulations to you both on producing such a model.

Thank you all for your encouragement and nice comments!

Yes it was not an easy job to do, especially considering the size as of 1/700 scale.

But thanks to Flyhawk kit's high quality and lots of useful references around, much of time and effort has been saved.

I highly recommend Flyhawk kit to any one who is interested in Bismarck, especially in 700 scale.

In my view it's even more detailed than the Trumpeter 350 scale kit. ;) 

On 5/18/2021 at 4:06 AM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Looks at my half complete 1/350 scale Bismarck, looks back to this page, looks again at my version, then at bin, wipes tears away, decides not to bin, but goes to bed early.

Seriously though, amazing build, not sure how you packed such detail into so small a scale, and as Bitzer has said, rigging is quite exquisite (probably the best I've seen)!

Oh here come the tears again...

David

Thanks David! I'm sure by using correct tool and skill, you will definitely get there.

I used stretched plastic sprue rods to apply super glue, with a very fine tweezer.

Have a try and you will find it not so difficult, just patience will do the trick. 

19 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday again, I guess it's no coincidence that you've posted this model just now. It's eighty years ago today (18th May) that she sailed from Gdynia. She was sunk on the 27th. RIP all sailors of any navy who died serving their country.

And I'll repeat, a superb model with exquisite detail. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff and yes, you read my mind! :) 

I selected the date to tribute the historical story behind her.

Hope it will remind different memory for different people.

I was recalled watching National Geographic documentary telling how Dr. Robert Ballard found Bismarck wreckage with lots of old veteran's comments.

It was so impressive that I still feel some of their voices wandering around my ears sometimes.

I believe that is the true charming point brought by a model work, to me.

Yufei

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for your nice moments mates!

So today is the 80th anniversary of Bismarck’s sunk, 27th May 1941.

Let us memorize the lost lives in that incident 80 years ago.

Thanks again for your watching.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...