Arii/Otaki Spitfire Mk VIII

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to join.
Here's my contribution.

Don't know what markings, yet. The decals look unusable. I would like to complete it in desert scheme.

I purchased this kit a number of years ago at a Ajax Model hobby show. Cost me $10 Cdn. (5.85 GBP -xe.com)

I actually bought two, I hope to complete both of these for this build.

(Seem like this whole pandemic I've been building Spitfires!! My other GB contributions have been spitfires. Like someone has said..... Can't have too many spitfires in your collection.)

kQLApC9.jpg

(Hopefully, I can complete this if I start this build at the beginning of the build - pandemic lockdown,

kids online learning and house dad/husband has not been good for building.)

• Like 5

Well....!!!!!

I just opened the second (sealed) Arii spitfire I purchased, and was very SURPRISED to find only the fuselage sprue, and canopy in the box!!!!

Has anybody have this happened to them?

(I'm assuming that because the box was sealed, it was not tampered with....  Oh well....)

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, CanadaMoe said:

Well....!!!!!

I just opened the second (sealed) Arii spitfire I purchased, and was very SURPRISED to find only the fuselage sprue, and canopy in the box!!!!

Has anybody have this happened to them?

(I'm assuming that because the box was sealed, it was not tampered with....  Oh well....)

Unfortunately yes… but in my case it was an unscrupulous hobby shop owner locally. He had a shrink wrap machine in the back. Either he would remove the choice bits for himself and reseal the box. That or they were returned kits and he would reseal them. We never could figure out which. So long and short he developed a bad rep and went out of business eventually. Not sure where in Canada but maybe you got one of his re-boxed kits. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Unfortunately yes… but in my case it was an unscrupulous hobby shop owner locally. He had a shrink wrap machine in the back. Either he would remove the choice bits for himself and reseal the box. That or they were returned kits and he would reseal them. We never could figure out which. So long and short he developed a bad rep and went out of business eventually. Not sure where in Canada but maybe you got one of his re-boxed kits. 

And you should go out of business when you treat your customers in such manner....resealing ok but not when it is not complete!

@CanadaMoe those Otaki’s are still very nice kits given their age...

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

Hi CanadaMoe and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. Nice choice of kit - but very annoying that most of the parts were missing from the second boxing! Looking forward to following the progress of you first one though. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the Welcome and support on the incomplete kit.

There are all type of people around, just look at how pandemic masking has done to people. (ok... enough said.)

I checked my daughter's (sealed) F-16 kit that was purchased from the same vendor and it seemed complete. So... whatever and move on....

Just a quick update.

Cockpit is done( to my liking.)

I punched out some different size disc and use them on the IP for instrument dials, added oxygen tank, pressurized air bottles and voltage regular behind the seat.

So much for OOB.... I might the seat adjustment lever later and there's a brace that runs from the back of the headrest armor plate to frame 12 which I'll add later. It's just a simple piece of plastic. Seat belts were cut from transfer tape, using my electronic cutter, so now I have a file to cut future seat belts and painted.

8nqna6I.jpg

9YvOAzm.jpg

MWGTkWc.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just a short update.

Aileron have been shorten to MK. VIII specs.

Getting ready for the paint shop.

I've made a decision on the markings. American Spitfire Mk VIII HL * K - "Fargo Express".

Microscale decals for this aircraft, are coded HL * X. I'll have to cut a "K" to replace the "X"

SIrGBej.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

It is with great regret that I am unable to finish this build.

I am at the point where the azure blue and mid-stone are on, but will not be able to complete in time.

(one month vacation and kids getting ready for in person learning has kept me busy. I WILL when school starts be able to finish and post.)

With regrets....

Moe

• Sad 2