Sending the right signals

Paul821

After overindulging in GB's over the last two years I set myself a rule for 2021, that I would only build items for my "Exercise Meteor" project.

Apart from an Airfix B-17 all the aircraft required for the project have been build, I have plenty of lorries etc, so I thought what could I enter for this GB?

The answer is this:

DSC04332

The current price of this kit remains under £10 but as you can see I paid £3.00 for this. The railway element of Exercise Meteor will require six signals, so this will be a start.

Due to the overall work required on the layout  this It will be a slow build but should be completed within the timeframe of the GB>

• Like 6

LNER Lattice? Built several sets of those and also LMS signals many years back - they look pretty good.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

LNER Lattice?

You are correct. Strictly not accurate for my minor branch line, but should look the part.

• Like 2

Hi Paul. Welcome to the GB and that is an excellent choice of kit for this GB!! I used to build model railways and often used Ratio signals - even got a few of them to actually operate via their control cord system! Fun times. Looking forward to seeing yours in progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After taking a short break from the modelling table after the "Anything but Injections GB" I have made a start on this one, At least I am over the first hurdle, the instructions do warn you that the lattice work is very delicate and the sections of the uprights need to be removed very carefully. Out came my trusty  SAM scale rule and saw, which still works for this type of job.

DSC05005

The remaining stubs were taken off with my heavy duty Rolson knife which served my very well during must last few months in the land of cardboard. Thus the small pile of shavings. All I can do in the rest of the day is glue the pieces together and wait for them to fully dry over night.

Is there anyone else who is stall using the SAM ruler or can remember when it was issued? I seem to recall you had to save tokens from issues of SAM to obtain one.

• Like 3

Never before in my years of modelling have I ever taken a week to glue pieces together, but that is what it took me to get to this stage:

DSC05011

As you might see from the picture the contact points between the uprights are extremely small, added to this you have to align the pieces i all three dimensions. After a long period of trial and  error(s) it struck me that if I added the finials to the signals first this would allow me to work down the signals gluing short sections.

Hopefully the next stage will not be as difficut.

• Like 3

Very impressive progress Paul - especially with the precision of modelling required by something like these! You obviously have a lot of patience! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix