The old "femme fatale", Citroën 2CV in 1/24 scale

I recently modelled the iconic Citroën 2CV from quite an old 1/24 scale Tamiya kit. The quality of the kit was ok but didn't reach the excellent level of their current kits. I sprayed the red parts with Tamiya Italian red TS-8. For the other parts I used Humbrol enamels and Vallejo colors.

The vehicle has a very long history that began already in the 1930's. The last car came out of the factory in 1990. Almost nine million Citroën 2CV's In total were manufactured during the four decades. The abbreviation 2CV actually means "deux chevaux" or two horses (though not referring to the level of horsepower but to the taxation category of the car 🙂)  History has it that the specs of André Citroën for the new vehicle were "an umbrella on four wheels enabling four people to transport 50 kg of farm goods to market at 50 km/h if necessary across muddy and unpaved roads. The car wasn't to consume no more than 3 l/100 km. One design parameter required that customers be able to transport basket of eggs across a freshly ploughed field without breakage 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 22

Lovely work on this legendary car.

In Germany these cars were nick named "Ente" which means duck. Many proud owners had large stickers with cute ducks on their vehicles.

Today a well restored vehicle costs mare than a new one back in the days. Its always anice sight to see one on the street.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Lovely work on this legendary car.

In Germany these cars were nick named "Ente" which means duck. Many proud owners had large stickers with cute ducks on their vehicles.

Today a well restored vehicle costs mare than a new one back in the days. Its always anice sight to see one on the street.

Thank you BerndtM,

In Finland you can every now and then see these cute cars in the streets. The nickname in Finnish is "Rätti-sitikka" Rätti means a rag (comes probably from the textile roof and Sitikka is something like Citty 🙂 As we say in Finland ; a dear child has many names!

Cheers,

Einar

• Like 1

Not sure about Rag City, but duck is certainly more kindly to the car than the UK nickname of Tin Snail. While I'm not personally a 2CV fan, the model looks very good.

I am a bit intrigued by the roof though - are the rolled up and closed roofs separate parts which just sit loosely in place?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spiny said:

Not sure about Rag City, but duck is certainly more kindly to the car than the UK nickname of Tin Snail. While I'm not personally a 2CV fan, the model looks very good.

I am a bit intrigued by the roof though - are the rolled up and closed roofs separate parts which just sit loosely in place?

Hi Spiny,

Thanks for the compliments! The British nickname of the 2CV is quite nasty, I must say 🙂 The roof of the Tin Snail is in two parts in the kit. Either you use the streched "rag" or the rolled-in one. They both sit in without glueing.

Cheers

Einar

Thanks Phil, I,m very interested in the 2CV and of course some of the facts are from the net.

Cheers,

Einar

Nice to see. I also have this kit, which I finished in yellow, and a 1:1 scale version in non-standard pale green and white. They're certainly different from modern cars! I also have an unbuilt 1:24 Revell 2CV kit that I have long intended to convert to right hand drive to create a model of my real car, but that project hasn't yet progressed beyond thinking about how to reverse the dashboard layout. One day...

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Nice to see. I also have this kit, which I finished in yellow, and a 1:1 scale version in non-standard pale green and white. They're certainly different from modern cars! I also have an unbuilt 1:24 Revell 2CV kit that I have long intended to convert to right hand drive to create a model of my real car, but that project hasn't yet progressed beyond thinking about how to reverse the dashboard layout. One day...

Jon

Good luck with the project Jon!

Cheers,

Einar

Great build Well done.Love the colour.Got one in my collection but not of that quality .Couple of years ago I was in Monaco just after F1 race & a little 2cv was circuiting with all the supercars. It held it's own against all the wedges.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Old John said:

Great build Well done.Love the colour.Got one in my collection but not of that quality .Couple of years ago I was in Monaco just after F1 race & a little 2cv was circuiting with all the supercars. It held it's own against all the wedges.

Thank you John for the compliments and the nice memories!

Cheers, 

Einar

• Like 1