There and Back Again

AdamT87

I've been a modeller for nearly twenty-five years now. I started as a child with a craze for building model aircraft kits. In my late teens I switched my attention over to tabletop wargaming with the occasional scale modelling project here and there. In recent months I have switched back to scale modelling mainly focussing on AFV's and Aircraft kits. I've got a nice stash of kits I need to now get cracking on - I have nearly completed my first kit which is a Rye Field Model Jagdpanther G2. 

I'm looking forward to chatting to fellow modellers, having a great resource for bits of advice and to be able to follow builds that other modellers are doing for inspiration 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdamT87 said:

I'm looking forward to chatting to fellow modellers, having a great resource for bits of advice and to be able to follow builds that other modellers are doing for inspiration 🙂

A very warm welcome, from a wet and windy Somerset.
This is probably the best resource for any of your modelling questions, and some of the builds that get posted are amazing, such skill. I’ve recently got bitten by the ship bug and the help and advise I have received has been amazing.

Jon

• Like 1

Hello Adam … :post1: from the windy city of Chicago, Ive been building since 1979 and am mostly aircraft myself. How are United doing this year, don't get to see a lot of games this side of the pond. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

A very warm welcome, from a wet and windy Somerset.
This is probably the best resource for any of your modelling questions, and some of the builds that get posted are amazing, such skill. I’ve recently got bitten by the ship bug and the help and advise I have received has been amazing.

Jon

I quite fancy doing some ships myself at some point. Nothing with any rigging though!

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Adam … :post1: from the windy city of Chicago, Ive been building since 1979 and am mostly aircraft myself. How are United doing this year, don't get to see a lot of games this side of the pond. 

Dennis

I'm a Man Utd fan. I think this season has been in terms of the quality of football the best since Fergie retired. We were quite a hard watch for a few years under Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho. 

I think I started around 95/96 it was with the Airfix and Revell kits that come with a brush and little pots of paint. Many aircraft kits followed on from those and at one point I think I had maybe 70-80 kits jammed in my bedroom (hanging from the ceiling, on shelves, in boxes).

I'm doing an Eduard Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 for my first aircraft build. Just about to start it actually.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AdamT87 said:

I'm doing an Eduard Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 for my first aircraft build. Just about to start it actually.

Done a few of these, take your time and study the instructions carefully. Its easy to miss something, but they do go together nicely. 

9 hours ago, AdamT87 said:

I quite fancy doing some ships myself at some point. Nothing with any rigging though!

Gidday Adam, welcome aboard. I'm into ships myself, mainly 1/600 scale. I don't do rigging or PE on my models. Any idea on what you wish to do? Regards, Jeff.

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Adam, welcome aboard. I'm into ships myself, mainly 1/600 scale. I don't do rigging or PE on my models. Any idea on what you wish to do? Regards, Jeff.

Yes PE can also be a pain in the backside! I have just managed to order some Tamiya mini photo etch pliers which I hope will solve some of my problems. 

In terms of ships I haven't given it too much thought considering most of my attention does go towards AFV's and aircraft kits but if I was to do some ships it would be some of the WWII based stuff. 

• Like 1

Yeah, WW2 is my main area of interest also, but I'd like to do some WW1 ships as well, to accompany my HMS Iron Duke of 1916. I've done a few 1/72 aircraft as a kid, a P-38 twenty years ago and a P-61 just a couple of years ago (scratchbuilt aircraft in 1/250 and 1/600 not included). AFVs I've never done, the tracks put me off.

1/600 is my preferred scale for ships but the range is very limited, here anyway. I've done some 1/700, good detail but the small size I found a bit taxing. 1/350 is probably too expensive and too large for my display cabinet, although I have a few of them also. I'd be interested in following what you construct if you do start a build thread.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamT87 said:

Tamiya mini photo etch pliers which I hope will solve some of my problems. 

Can I suggest you might want to get one of these tools for bending PE.
https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/accessories/tools/hold-and-fold/

They are expensive, but you only buy one once and they make bending longer pieces of PE very simple and error free. You only really get ONE chance to bend PE, as it doesn’t take kindly to being bent several times.

Jon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Faraway said:

Can I suggest you might want to get one of these tools for bending PE.
https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/accessories/tools/hold-and-fold/

They are expensive, but you only buy one once and they make bending longer pieces of PE very simple and error free. You only really get ONE chance to bend PE, as it doesn’t take kindly to being bent several times.

Jon

Hi, Jon

I actually have a Trumpeter Large Photo Etch Bender that I do use but for small parts things like clasps you need to make multiple bends on very small parts. I think it's also a case of practice makes perfect. 

It might sound daft but whats your method for applying superglue to very small PE parts? I've seen people using homemade superglue applicators from sewing needles I think I'm going to try that. 

Edited by AdamT87
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Yeah, WW2 is my main area of interest also, but I'd like to do some WW1 ships as well, to accompany my HMS Iron Duke of 1916. I've done a few 1/72 aircraft as a kid, a P-38 twenty years ago and a P-61 just a couple of years ago (scratchbuilt aircraft in 1/250 and 1/600 not included). AFVs I've never done, the tracks put me off.

1/600 is my preferred scale for ships but the range is very limited, here anyway. I've done some 1/700, good detail but the small size I found a bit taxing. 1/350 is probably too expensive and too large for my display cabinet, although I have a few of them also. I'd be interested in following what you construct if you do start a build thread.

Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

I have been taking photos of my current build which is a 1/35 Jagdpanther. I could perhaps start a blog using some of the photos already taken and carrying it on from there.

I do plan on recording my builds as I know I've found other build threads and video tutorials really helpful. They can also be costly as you inevitably end up seeing a kit or product you like and it ends up in your shopping basket 😅

1 hour ago, AdamT87 said:

It might sound daft but whats your method for applying superglue to very small PE parts? I've seen people using homemade superglue applicators from sewing needles I think I'm going to try that. 

Adam. I can’t use Superglue/CA as I’m allergic to it. So I use either UV activated glue, two part epoxy or quick set PVA. First choice is the PVA, as it dries clear and holds well.

Jon

10 hours ago, Faraway said:

Adam. I can’t use Superglue/CA as I’m allergic to it. So I use either UV activated glue, two part epoxy or quick set PVA. First choice is the PVA, as it dries clear and holds well.

Jon

I do have some of the Ammo by Mig Ultra Glue for PE parts but I find it isn't really strong enough if you require an instantaneous bond.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AdamT87 said:

They can also be costly as you inevitably end up seeing a kit or product you like and it ends up in your shopping basket 😅

It's called "Building a Stash", which is one of the (often incurable) afflictions that modelers can suffer from. 😁

16 hours ago, AdamT87 said:

I have been taking photos of my current build which is a 1/35 Jagdpanther. I could perhaps start a blog using some of the photos already taken and carrying it on from there.

That's the way to go, I think. A photographic record of your proceedings can also be a useful reference if problems arise on future builds. Plus it's nice to reminisce at times when mojo declines a little. I record all mine now. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

It's called "Building a Stash", which is one of the (often incurable) afflictions that modelers can suffer from. 😁

The ‘stash’ is one problem, nice one though. The biggest problem is, what to do with the finished kits. Mine seem to be pooping up all over the house, no idea (of course) how this comes about. :lalala:

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Faraway said:

The ‘stash’ is one problem, nice one though. The biggest problem is, what to do with the finished kits. Mine seem to be pooping up all over the house, no idea (of course) how this comes about. :lalala:

Well one thing I did do just as I got back into scale modelling was buy a 6ft display cabinet. It has models in it already!...well models still in their kit boxes - still the box art is nice 😄

• Like 2