Modifying Poses - Seeking Opinions and Advice

nheather

I have just ordered some 28mm plastic figures for Napoleonic skirmish war gaming.  I’ve gone with the Perry ones as they provided what I needed most efficiently and most cost effectively.

The only downside is the British infantry figures in particular, are all sculpted to be stood in line formation.  I want to model a small number, just six, as light company skirmishers.

Clearly the easiest would be to just buy six white metal figures but I’d prefer to keep them all plastic, and prefer not to spend any more.

They are multi-part figures (though the torso and legs are one piece) so I was hoping to reshape some of them to express a little more movement, less formality.  I have a good number of spares to practice on.

I wasn’t planning anything too drastic, never done anything like this before.  Thinking whether it is possible to heat up the plastic and gently bend the legs into different positions to suggest that the figure is running/jogging.  Maybe the most drastic is to repose a standing firing into a kneeling firing.  I'm thinking that creating a moving figure should not be too difficult but a creating a kneeling figure may not be possible because the jacket would need to drape quite differently.

Is this possible, reasonably easily, or am I mad even thinking of this.

By the way I’m not expecting anything that would be perfectly anatomically correct, just so that it looks the part at gaming distances.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It may be too late, and I don't know these figures, nor what type of plastic is used, but ...

I used to regularly change the pose of figures by cutting their elbows and knees*, and either bending them or straightening slightly.
If straightening, a sliver of sprue could help fill any gap.
In those days, I used tube cement (which I still find makes a better bond than CA) and enamel paint, which would be thick enough that it filled the joint.

*Preferably only part way through, but often the joint broke anyway.

• Like 1

I might still try but in the end I managed to buy a single sprue of Victrix flank company - they are not great but a little more dynamic so will pass better as Light Company skirmishers.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1