453rd BG Museum build: P-51D Mustang Petie 2nd. COMPLETED p.12

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

Lovely cockpit G.  Seat looks really nice and the belts were definitely well worth the effort!

Thanks Steve, glad you like it :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, great job--regarding the radiator---is that decanted Tamiya paint with a wash--sorry if I missed it.  Thanks for the paint decanting video link--again, this is looking solid!  Best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin :thumbsup: Yes, that's exactly it, decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium, airbrushed and with a black tempera wash.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Thanks G, one follow up question (sorry)—Do thin the decanted paint—I am thinking the decanted paint is thicker than Alclad or similar—your effort turned out great!  Cheers, Erwin

I don't thin decanted Tamiya paint, it flows through the airbrush beautifully (and I use a cheap and worn one for that, as I don't want to go with aggressive cleaning afterwards on my Paasche or PROCON BOY).

I have sometimes added a drop or two of cellulose thinner in the airbrush cup when I wanted to have a bit of a show-through effect of the base coat, but that's about it. HTH

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great work Giorgio! 😇 looks like you’re all buttoned up too. Those belts do look rather good. I’m still to do mine. Maybe while a “paint is drying” task. 😀

Wonderful stuff.

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

Hello Mr G

Don't you forget the tiny oil cooler.... To place it once the wing is glued on is a nightmare....

Guess how I know it ????

I did it twice.... one my Tamiya and my Eduard ones....

I know, a donkey that fell twice in the same ditch is a .... 

Ma come ?? I did'nt tell the forbidden word....

Very good an so precise job Maestro Giorgio !!

CC

• Haha 1

Hi everybody, apologies for the lack of updates, but life and (mostly) Euro2020 got in the way :D . I actually did work on this last WE, so this update covers two WEs worth of modelling.

Mailbox first, though:

On 26/06/2021 at 10:17, The Spadgent said:

Great work Giorgio! 😇 looks like you’re all buttoned up too. Those belts do look rather good. I’m still to do mine. Maybe while a “paint is drying” task. 😀

Wonderful stuff.

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup:  I'm quite happy with them belts myself, it's always a bit of a struggle to make PE belts looking realistic...

On 01/07/2021 at 09:57, corsaircorp said:

Hello Mr G

Don't you forget the tiny oil cooler.... To place it once the wing is glued on is a nightmare....

Guess how I know it ????

I did it twice.... one my Tamiya and my Eduard ones....

I know, a donkey that fell twice in the same ditch is a .... 

Ma come ?? I did'nt tell the forbidden word....

Very good an so precise job Maestro Giorgio !!

CC

:rofl: 

You mean this, CC?

fuselage8

The way it's engineered, you need to fit it in before joining the fuselage halves. Good thing I remembered :D :winkgrin:

OK, let's see what I've been up to: the center line seam required more work than I anticipated, taking the most of two modelling WEs' time. Lots of sprue gloop was used

fuselage2

fuselage3

fuselage4

fuselage5

From the above pic, you can clearly tell this is not a modern Tamiya mould...

fuselage6

Some areas needed multiple passes, like here, right in front of the windshield, where the whiteboard marker revealed some small gaps after a first sanding/polishing round

fuselage7

Anyway, after more sprue gloop and the occasional use of CA + flour, we have this

fuselage9

fuselage10

fuselage11

fuselage12

There are still some fresh TeT signs form running it along the rescribed lines and rivet, as you can see. Some of the underbelly will need more touch ups, but I'll do that when most of the components are in place. I obviously still need to sort the area right aft of the small air outlet visible on the above pic, but I think I will just glue a thin plastic strip to hide the center seam.

Tail:

fuselage13

I then test fitted the engine cowling; not too bad from starboard

cowling1

... but quite some misalignment port side... :frantic: 

cowling2

I also did check that the exhaust stacks can be fitted at a later stage (they can)

cowling3

Chin air intake glued in place

cowling4

And the good news is, that TeT softened the cowling plastic enough to grant a decent fit (compare to the above port shot to see what I mean)

cowling5

Just a bit of tidying up needed, but a lot easier than I anticipated.

Well, that's it for the day, all comments welcome.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
Missing pic
  • Like 19

Yup Mr G !!

Precisely this one.....

Very good job on tidying the seams....

I encountered the same thing on mine, Mumbling about the famous Tamiya "Shake and bake".... :whistle:

Painting is not far away now..... :dog::dog:

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Lovely work Giorgio. Those seams didn’t stand a chance.😃 I’d be interested to see if the Tamiya kit does something crazy with the gun pods on the wings. The revell ones were a right PITA. 🙌

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/07/2021 at 21:35, hendie said:

Coming along very nicely Giorgio.  There doesn't appear to be anything that you can't sort out easily with a bit of elbow grease.

Thanks Alan :thumbsup: All easily fixable, but I think I'll have some more work to do on the bottom seam, once the first revealing coat of metallic paint goes on.... :frantic:

On 05/07/2021 at 06:29, corsaircorp said:

Yup Mr G !!

Precisely this one.....

Very good job on tidying the seams....

I encountered the same thing on mine, Mumbling about the famous Tamiya "Shake and bake".... :whistle:

Painting is not far away now..... :dog::dog:

Sincerely.

CC

Cheers CC, thanks :thumbsup: I think the mould shows its age, plus as I said the engineering of the parts isn't on par with more modern Tamiya offerings.

On 05/07/2021 at 08:19, The Spadgent said:

Lovely work Giorgio. Those seams didn’t stand a chance.😃 I’d be interested to see if the Tamiya kit does something crazy with the gun pods on the wings. The revell ones were a right PITA. 🙌

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup: The gun pods are molded on the wings on this kit, they don't come as a separate piece. Which is good, seeing the trouble you had to undergo, but will present a challenge in terms of tidying up the seam line, because the wing arrangement is the traditional one, top and bottom to be joined along the leading and trailing edges.  :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 1

You’re beating the seams into submission.

i remember the lower fuselage seams being very ‘ un-Tamiya ‘ on the last one I built. We tend to expect modern Tamiya engineering standards but have to remember that the P-51 was produced several decades ago.

John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2021 at 14:43, Biggles87 said:

You’re beating the seams into submission.

i remember the lower fuselage seams being very ‘ un-Tamiya ‘ on the last one I built. We tend to expect modern Tamiya engineering standards but have to remember that the P-51 was produced several decades ago.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup: You are right, of course: this kit definitely shows its age. Still, it's a Tamiya, so see below for the wing fit.

Alright, time to get back working on this baby; to complete the seam tidying up, I still had to fix the area behind the small air exhaust. I glued a strip of very thin styrene on it, so as to hide the seam completely

fuselage14

This was then refined with a razor blade and some sanding

fuselage15

Similar procedure for the engine cowling

cowling6

with the addition of some PPP

cowling7

You may have noticed that I removed the small vent just ahead of the wing root; it is not present in Petie 2nd wartime pics, and someone mentioned over in Johnny @The Spadgent's thread that it shouldn't be there in early versions of the P-51D, IIRC. I did also fill in the IFF antennae panels on the tail fin, again not present on this version

tail1

tail2

A missing detai inside the main air intake: there should be some sort of actuator center line, so I scratch built it form thin brass sheet (0.1mm) and glued in place with Gator's Grip, after carving two slots to fit it in 

intake1

Then I went for some dryfit of the wings; first off, the main gear bay roof

wings1

I actually had to enlarge the hole on the mounting peg on the right; after that, the fit was perfect

wings2

Now, I think we all know that the Tamiya representation of the main wheel well isn't entirely accurate, because the back part of it shouldn't be boxed out, but should go back to the main spar; I didn't feel like fitting in a resin replacement, because I couldn't find one readily available but also because it looks like a lot of job (and a risky one) for a very small reward. Not much of it is going to be seen anyway, so I think I'll improvise with some plastic hacking and sawing and some scratch building. For now, back to the fit: bottom wing to fuselage, almost perfect

wings3

Top wings on, same result

wings4

wings5

This is typical Tamiya fit :) 

That's it for now, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, giemme said:

Now, I think we all know that the Tamiya representation of the main wheel well isn't entirely accurate, because the back part of it shouldn't be boxed out, but should go back to the main spar; I didn't feel like fitting in a resin replacement, because I couldn't find one readily available but also because it looks like a lot of job (and a risky one) for a very small reward. Not much of it is going to be seen anyway, so I think I'll improvise with some plastic hacking and sawing and some scratch building.

I've built precisely one Tamiya Mustang (in 1/72).  I dealt with the wheel well issue via trompe l'oeil painting.  The visible main spar portion was painted YZC, each progressive "gap" between the ribs was painted with graduated mixes of YZC and black, getting progressively darker moving outboard.

Overkill perhaps, as I'm the only person who ever looks at the undersides of my widdle airpwanes IRL.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very comprehensive update, I’ll be interested to see your solution to the rear wall of the wheel well.

When I built my Korean War Mustang I used the Meng kit which has the correct wheel well, but when I compared it with an Accurate Miniatures one built some time ago the difference was not really noticeable until I got much closer than the normal viewing distance. 

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/07/2021 at 21:22, Jackson Duvalier said:

I've built precisely one Tamiya Mustang (in 1/72).  I dealt with the wheel well issue via trompe l'oeil painting.  The visible main spar portion was painted YZC, each progressive "gap" between the ribs was painted with graduated mixes of YZC and black, getting progressively darker moving outboard.

Overkill perhaps, as I'm the only person who ever looks at the undersides of my widdle airpwanes IRL.  

Thanks Jackson. :thumbsup2: I don't think I'll go down that route, it's either modifying the kit bays or nothing

On 20/07/2021 at 08:36, Biggles87 said:

Very comprehensive update, I’ll be interested to see your solution to the rear wall of the wheel well.

When I built my Korean War Mustang I used the Meng kit which has the correct wheel well, but when I compared it with an Accurate Miniatures one built some time ago the difference was not really noticeable until I got much closer than the normal viewing distance. 

John

Thanks John :thumbsup:  What you say is true, probably the difference won't be very noticeable - we'll see.

On 20/07/2021 at 11:13, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio :) 

Looks like you're a convert to sprue gloop now? Certainly sorted out those seams…

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: Sprue gloop is perfect for those seams and dents where CA hasn't enough surface to "bite"

On 20/07/2021 at 22:40, TheBaron said:

Purposeful and highly pleasing work G - lovely progress. :clap2:

Thank you Tony, glad you like it  :thumbsup:

No updates, as I'm off to beautiful Sicily for a couple of weeks for my holidays. I'll keep an eye on you guys, though  :winkgrin:

Ciao 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 25/07/2021 at 22:53, Cookenbacher said:

Enjoy your holiday Giorgio!

Oh, the Mustang is looking sweet.

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup:

On 26/07/2021 at 00:00, TheBaron said:

Have yourselves a truly excellent time Giorgio.

I actually ahd, thank you tony :D :thumbsup: 

On 26/07/2021 at 04:43, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio, great work--given all you coaxing with filling issues around the nose/engine, I am really looking forward to how you will sort out the finish--looking strong!  Best, Erwin 

Thank Erwin :thumbsup: I'm not too worried about the nose area, because it will be painted blue, so hopefully that will hide some.... :whistle:

On 08/09/2021 at 00:47, The Spadgent said:

Wow! That is a great fit. Doing a splendid job on your pony Giorgio. Hope you had a great holiday. 🤩

Johnny.

Thanks J, I actually had.

So, it's been a long time since my last update here, but there we go (albeit with a very minor one). IP coaming painted and weathered

cockpit31

Tail light removed, I will scratch build a new one from clear sprue probably, the kit one ended up in rubbish after gluing and sanding

tail3

To complete the cockpit and before gluing in the windshield I still need to paint the gunsight, that Tamiya provides as a whole clear block, that needs some work to correctly represent the two reflector glasses, Before that, I wanted to tackle the main wheel wells issue; the black line shows how it is supposed to look like

wings6

I think I'll try with some plasticard and see what happens. Next time though - meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1