453rd BG Museum build: P-51D Mustang Petie 2nd. COMPLETED p.12

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Great cockpit work Giorgio!

Thanks you Cookie! :thumbsup: But there's still a lot more to come, it all still looks quite flat - and I need to do something for those pre-painted PE.... :) 

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ahhhhh gotcha. 🙌 I can see the tape now I know I’m looking for it. 😀

Yep, I should have mentioned before :D 

4 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Amazing--Cant wait to see what you do with the NMF--best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin! :thumbsup: It's gonna be mostly decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium, with some polishing here and there and some other metallics for variation - I have a few ideas...  :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 3

On 05/06/2021 at 07:25, Biggles87 said:

I put matt varnish on my Eduard  IPs before attaching them, bit late for you now, sorry.

John

Thanks John - I don't think it's late at all, my next move is going to be some drybrushing and then some matt varnish on the IP. I think it's gonna work.

On 05/06/2021 at 09:18, perdu said:

More wonderful painting from the maestro, lovely floor.

I just said that didnt I?

Lovely wooden floor, very good G.

Thank you Bill, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Alright, here's a bit of progress on this too: before painting the sidewalls, I removed the molded in oxygen hose and scratch built a new one from the usual copper wire wrapped in thinner copper wire

hose1

This was then airbrushed Tamiya Flat Balck as a base coat, followed by Tamiya Black Green; after that, I dipped it in Future

hose2

Once cured, I drybrushed it with Lifecolor Matt Yellow and sealed it with a coat of Aqua Gloss, by brush

hose3

It was then time for painting the sidewalls: again, Tamiya Flat Black as a base coat, airbrushed

cockpit11

Interior Green to follow; for that, I used Tamiya Cockpit Green XF71, adding some Tamiya Flat Yellow. I airbrushed the seat

seat6

The sidewalls

cockpit13

cockpit14

the tub

cockpit15

and, using a paper sheet as provisional mask, the two side PE part, whose color was nothing like the one I sprayed (and looked nothing like a proper color, anyway)

cockpit12

A bit of brush painting was needed, to complete the painting and touch up the black consoles

cockpit16

Tub unmasked and ready for detailing

cockpit17

That's it for the day, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 18

This looking very good Giorgio. Sorry for being AWOL till now, the eternal tug of war, 1/48 naahh!, P-51D maybe, Petie 2nd OK then, 'specially seeing as I did one in 1/72 last year.

DSCF3138

Its a cool scheme for one of these & I've enjoyed a catch up on this to now. :) Carry on. :D

Steve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Steve, thank you! :thumbsup:  Nice little Mustang you have there! (I could never build a WWII propeller fighter in 1/72, way too tiny for my abilities :frantic: )

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm really enjoying your crisp paintwork, Giorgio.  😎   

I concur with Biggles' thoughts above regarding matt coat on colour etch.  The orange-peel texture of the printing is unsightly, so before applying a matt finish coat, give the etch a couple of coats of your favorite acrylic floor liquid.  It will smooth that texture out with magical self-leveling properties.

All these 453rd BG Museum builds have me yearning to hack out a Tamiya Mustang, or maybe just hack one up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 08/06/2021 at 00:47, The Spadgent said:

Looking grand. Those side walls are looking nicely detailed. 🙌

Johnny

Cheers Johnny, thank you :thumbsup: The kit detail in those areas is pretty kit, the PE will sure add to the general look, but I think there will be a few small additions to tart it up more - I will see after the detail painting is done :winkgrin:

On 08/06/2021 at 05:39, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Looks great--really liked the PE improvements--best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin :thumbsup:

On 08/06/2021 at 08:41, Jackson Duvalier said:

I'm really enjoying your crisp paintwork, Giorgio.  😎   

I concur with Biggles' thoughts above regarding matt coat on colour etch.  The orange-peel texture of the printing is unsightly, so before applying a matt finish coat, give the etch a couple of coats of your favorite acrylic floor liquid.  It will smooth that texture out with magical self-leveling properties.

You do have a pint there, Jackson - thank you! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

Et voilà !!

Now, I feel eager to get back to my ponies....

It's your fault !!! 

Well done an fine painting Maestro G

Are you going to try Alclad one day ?? or AK Xtreme metal...

Congrats for the oxygen hose, I changed it on my Mustang(s) too !!

Can't wait to see it painted....

And a bent wing bird on your bench...:evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Et voilà !!

Now, I feel eager to get back to my ponies....

It's your fault !!! 

Well done an fine painting Maestro G

Are you going to try Alclad one day ?? or AK Xtreme metal...

Congrats for the oxygen hose, I changed it on my Mustang(s) too !!

Can't wait to see it painted....

And a bent wing bird on your bench...:evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

9 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I recommend AK Extreme Metal, never had much success with Alclad, and it stinks.

John

Thanks both :thumbsup: No Alclads for me, thanks - I've already successfully used AK Extreme Metal, I still have a stock of a few Model Master Metallizer paints, but my go-to alu paint is decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium from a rattle can. It sprays beautifully from any airbrush and you can sand and/or polish it to vary the look. You will see a bit of all of them in this build, I promise :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

my go-to alu paint is decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium from a rattle can.

Have you tried the Tamiya laquer alu paints Giorgio? I’d be interested to know how they compare.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Have you tried the Tamiya laquer alu paints Giorgio? I’d be interested to know how they compare.

I haven’t,  Steve. Next time I go to my LHS, I'll check if they have some.

A major bonus of decanted Tamiya paints is that you can airbrush them straight onto bare plastic and they are very tough and durable. Plus the pigments are very fine, so any re-spray for touch ups blends in perfectly. 

Ciao 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some more done on this, albeit not that much.

IP: I gloss coated it, then went on with some Lifecolor Dark Grey drybrush, then flat coated and a drop of Tamiya Gloss Clear was added inside the bezels, to simulate the glass

ip5

A bit more like it now, I think.

Cockpit floor: I used the sponge technique for the wooden area, to represent the black coating wear caused by the pilot's feet

cockpit18

A quick dry fit of IP and tub inside the fuselage, just for the sake of it

cockpit19

Then I added the rudder pedals to the IP assembly, after having dry brushed them with some alu paint, given a black tempera wash and a flat clear coat

20210613_212412

PE parts glued on the tub (and over painted by brush for both the interior green and the black); also, I made a start on detail painting

cockpit20

Same on the sidewalls: PE parts and some detail painting, but still a long way to go

cockpit21

cockpit22

That's it for this update, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 21

10 hours ago, giemme said:

IP: I gloss coated it, then went on with some Lifecolor Dark Grey drybrush, then flat coated and a drop of Tamiya Gloss Clear was added inside the bezels, to simulate the glass

A bit more like it now, I think.

Definitely.  Interesting that the pre-painted PE causes (not quite) as many problems as it solves!  Nicely dealt with G.

Looking forward to the Giorgio magic bringing it all to life :D

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hendie said:

Nice work G.  That detail painting looks a bit tricky but going on your past record I am sure it will not pose any problem to a man of your caliber 

Thanks Alan :thumbsup: I don't think there's anything particularly tricky here, it's just that I'm not getting as much bench time as I'd like - plus sharing it with the other build doesn't help either ... :frantic::D 

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The details are looking splendid. That green looks good too. 👏👏👏

Johnny

Cheers Johnny, thank you :thumbsup: I'm pretty happy with the interior green myself, although it is quite deceitful: you need to photograph it with the correct light source and settings to get the vivid hue it has in real life (before I go over it with weathering, anyway... :winkgrin:)

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Agreed! Particularly like the worn floor. Stunning stuff :) 

Thanks Ced, glad you like that :thumbsup: Pretty happy with it myself :) 

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Definitely.  Interesting that the pre-painted PE causes (not quite) as many problems as it solves!  Nicely dealt with G.

Looking forward to the Giorgio magic bringing it all to life :D

Thank you Steve :thumbsup: I'm not a great fan of pre-painted PE. The ideal situation to properly detail a cockpit, to me, is to have a mix of resin parts, unpainted PE, clear acetate with printed gauges for the IP and ...  a bit of scratch building, of course :) . More or less what happened with my EE Lightning build, but also when I built the MC205 Veltro.

Ciao

• Like 1