453rd BG Museum build: P-51D Mustang Petie 2nd. COMPLETED p.12

On 19/05/2021 at 15:26, 72modeler said:

Shhh! Mum's the word! I have the two Tamiya Mustangs, a Tamiya razorback and bubbletop Thunderbolt, a Tamiya Birdcage Corsair, two Revell F-86D's (for their slatted wings), two Hasegawa and one Academy F-86F, and a  Monogram and Trumpeter F-100. Keep it under your hat, lest the GSPD (Gentleman's Scale Police Department) come and carry me off and make me build Mach 1 kits until I repent!) :sorry:

Mike

OK, with that many 1/48 kits, you need to change your nickname, Mike :D  :D  

Here's a quick update, everybody: I added some cabling to the radio compartment

cockpit1

I also scraped off some detail from the port side console, as it will be replaced with a PE part

cockpit2

Then I airbrushed some Tamiya Deck Tan on the cockpit floor, in preparation for the wood effect

cockpit3

The seat assembly got glued together

seat1

and some missing details added: side bars

seat2

and on the back side, an envelope-shaped documents container and some sort of bump, clearly visible from period pics

seat3

The seat will be completed with PE harness and belts.

I also removed the raised detail form the IP, again to be replaced with PE parts

IP1

Didn't pay much attention to the surface finish, since it's all going to be covered with Eduard PE parts.

Not much, really, but I'm getting closer to painting the whole cockpit.

All comments welcome :)

Ciao

• Like 16

Goodly constructioneering G

(PS. don’t tell anyone I said ‘constructioneering’; or ‘goodly’ for that matter - altho’ that at least is a proper word) :blush:

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 3

On 5/19/2021 at 3:26 PM, 72modeler said:

Shhh! Mum's the word! I have the two Tamiya Mustangs, a Tamiya razorback and bubbletop Thunderbolt, a Tamiya Birdcage Corsair, two Revell F-86D's (for their slatted wings), two Hasegawa and one Academy F-86F, and a  Monogram and Trumpeter F-100. Keep it under your hat, lest the GSPD (Gentleman's Scale Police Department) come and carry me off and make me build Mach 1 kits until I repent!) :sorry:

Mike

My son...

As there is at least a Corsair and some Sabre !!

You are forgiven...

For your sin, Go buy 2 More 1/48 Corsair !!

The bent wing Lords Do like equity don't you know ???

Equity plus one is better in matter of Corsairs !!

Thou shall count three, not two, it's one too short, not four either , it's one too much....

No Don't throw the Corsairs...

Father CC from Connecticut... 

• Haha 6

Great job Mr G !!

I like the way you upgrade the Tamiya kit !!

Finally, we share the same lunacy did'nt we ???

What has made my task easier is that I use the Eduard parts as templates....

Congrats !! fratellino !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

On 24/05/2021 at 05:20, Stew Dapple said:

Good progress Giorgio; all the prep-work may not be the most exciting, but it will look great when it's all painted up and the etched stuff added B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers Stew, thank you! :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

Goodly constructioneering G

(PS. don’t tell anyone I said ‘constructioneering’; or ‘goodly’ for that matter - altho’ that at least is a proper word) :blush:

Alright, I won't tell anyone :winkgrin: - are you sure about "goodly", though? :rofl:  Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Great job Mr G !!

I like the way you upgrade the Tamiya kit !!

Finally, we share the same lunacy did'nt we ???

What has made my task easier is that I use the Eduard parts as templates....

Congrats !! fratellino !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC! :thumbsup: I only have a Hasegawa P-51D in my stash, not much to copy from that... :shrug:  :D 

Ciao

Nice prep work Giorgio. I especially like the 'some sort of bump' on the backside (fnaar!).

Lovely detailing :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice prep work Giorgio. I especially like the 'some sort of bump' on the backside (fnaar!).

Lovely detailing :) 

I only use technical terms, you know... :rofl2: It's this thing you see here, anyway (this image was linked in Johnny @The Spadgent's thread by @antonio argudo, I hope he doesn't mind me re-posting it)

cockpi10.jpg

BTW, looking at it again, I just noticed there should be two "lips" on either side of the headrest, facing backward. Looks like a nice detail to add. Must remember to do that :winkgrin: Thanks Ced! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 9

7 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

Ciao Giemme, glad you use that picture, but I must inform you that the  case container behind the armour seat is a post war used "only" in Swiss Mustang, not in USAFF  😑

Ooops... Muchas gracias, Antonio - you mean the thing in the green circle, right?

cockpi10

7 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

I recommend you check this build with very useful reference for the cockpit details, keep the good modelling. cheers

Thanks for that too, lots of stuff in there! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

apologies for missing reveille over the last few days/weeks Giorgio - that life thing keeps getting in the way at the most inopportune moments. I'll try and be more punctual in the coming weeks.

It's also bloomin' difficult keeping up with all these 453rd builds (seems like there's 453 of them...), not to mention Ced (oops, I just did!) building 6 aircraft in a matter of days. 

Seems it's taking a long time to get to the paint stage :D

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Ooops... Muchas gracias, Antonio - you mean the thing in the green circle, right?

no problem, Yes, that one, well, up to you if you want to change it, I also added that long ago in my Mustang kit before I knew it was swiss only,😅 cheers

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Haha 1

Waaaahhhhhhh. I’m late. I’m late. For a bery important date!!! 🤪🤩 Welcome to the party. 😍 Another Mustang. Crikey I better watch my back, there’ll be more detail in this little wonder than in my bigger sister. You’re doing a splendid job already. I’ll tag along of course. 

Johnny

• Thanks 1

Hello Mr G

Soooo, That's now a great technical build....

With the "Bumps" from @CedB and the "Lips" of yours.....

As a tech, I wonder about Technical terms....

Who will get a step further ???

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, hendie said:

apologies for missing reveille over the last few days/weeks Giorgio - that life thing keeps getting in the way at the most inopportune moments. I'll try and be more punctual in the coming weeks.

It's also bloomin' difficult keeping up with all these 453rd builds (seems like there's 453 of them...), not to mention Ced (oops, I just did!) building 6 aircraft in a matter of days. 

Seems it's taking a long time to get to the paint stage :D

No problem, Alan :thumbsup:  You must have missed something, though: I did paint the cockpit floor, at least a base coat... :rofl2: 

13 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

no problem, Yes, that one, well, up to you if you want to change it, I also added that long ago in my Mustang kit before I knew it was swiss only,😅 cheers

OK, great - thanks. I will remove it, it's just alu tape :) 

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Waaaahhhhhhh. I’m late. I’m late. For a bery important date!!! 🤪🤩 Welcome to the party. 😍 Another Mustang. Crikey I better watch my back, there’ll be more detail in this little wonder than in my bigger sister. You’re doing a splendid job already. I’ll tag along of course. 

Johnny

Welcome on board then Johnny! :thumbsup:  :D And thanks for the praise :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Mr G

Soooo, That's now a great technical build....

With the "Bumps" from @CedB and the "Lips" of yours.....

As a tech, I wonder about Technical terms....

Who will get a step further ???

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

I'd say they are highly technical terms, not just technical... :rofl2:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi everybody, there's been some progress on this build over the WE. I think someone mentioned paint, right? :winkgrin:  :D  

Well, there has been some paint. First off, completing the wood effect on the cockpit floor, I used a 5/0 brush and painted wood grain using Lifecolor Tan

cockpit4

I then thinned the same color to the consistency of a wash, added some yellow and some red (again Lifecolor) and brushed it over (with a final Future protective coat once cured)

cockpit5

I know not all the cockpit floor is supposed to be like that, but I did it that way just to have a wider area to evaluate the final effect.

The seat: I remove the envelope sized container, according to the info @antonio argudo provided, and added the headrest side lips from plasticard

seat4

Then it was time for some PE action; as I mentioned earlier, I will use part of the Eduard PE set, keeping the kit details where appropriate. In this case:

cockpit6

I did remove the PE black panel, as the kit part is much more 3-dimensional. Like this:

cockpit7

Starboard side, I didn't need to modify the PE part

cockpit8

but again, I will not use the parts that are supposed to replace the various panels, except for the central box shaped one. Here I also need to replace the molded in oxygen hose with something more suitable.

Next up, the instrument panel: the Eduard set supplies both a clear acetate printed film and a PE part for the actual instruments. I went for the printed acetate to represent the dials, rather than the PE part (I didn't want to add too much thickness)

ip2

The back of the clear plastic was brush painted with white, to make the gauges stand out properly

ip3

The kit IP was airbrushed with Tamiya Flat Black, and the PE IP and other bits got glued in place with Gator's Grip, plus some CA gel along the edges to secure the bond

ip4

This now needs some brush painting/dry-brushing to remove the shine and make it look more like a real thing. First it needs to cure properly, though.

The seat received a flat black coat too:

seat5

and so did the tub

cockpit9

and the rudder pedals and control stick

cockpit10

Lastly, the radiators were airbrushed with decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium, and a black tempera wash was added

radiators1

That's it for the day, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 17

Lovely paint on the floor panels. Don’t forget if you’re chipping that black paint to reveal the wooden floor do it quick. Or maybe you don’t if you’re not using chipping fluid? I used to leave the paint for days before chipping then wonder why it was a struggle to remove the top coat. Then I read the instructions on the bottle. 😲 Whatever you’re doing though keep it up as it’s looking amazing. 😀

Johnny

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hendie said:

Wise decision on discarding the PE swichboxes Giorgio. The kit part definitely look better 

Thanks Alan, glad you approve :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio :) 

Thank you Ced :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely paint on the floor panels. Don’t forget if you’re chipping that black paint to reveal the wooden floor do it quick. Or maybe you don’t if you’re not using chipping fluid? I used to leave the paint for days before chipping then wonder why it was a struggle to remove the top coat. Then I read the instructions on the bottle. 😲 Whatever you’re doing though keep it up as it’s looking amazing. 😀

Johnny

Johnny, I forgot to mention, apologies: I masked the wooden areas, I intend to follow a different approach. The idea is to go over them with a sponge, adding paint rather than removing it. Thanks for the tip, anyway - and the praise :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice work on the internal parts.

Stay safe             Roger

Cheers Roger, thank you :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Typically accomplished work Giorgio,  coming on nicely.  Likes. 👍

Thanks Steve, glad you like it :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Johnny, I forgot to mention, apologies: I masked the wooden areas, I intend to follow a different approach. The idea is to go over them with a sponge, adding paint rather than removing it. Thanks for the tip, anyway - and the praise :thumbsup:

Ahhhhh gotcha. 🙌 I can see the tape now I know I’m looking for it. 😀

• Haha 1