453rd BG Museum build: P-51D Mustang Petie 2nd. COMPLETED p.12

Some very classy work as ever G, I’ve just been catching up. Really is coming along superbly, loving the variation on the blue and the panels for the metal finish. 

hope all is well your end

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2022 at 17:50, perdu said:

Comments?

I am ghastflabbered at the extent to which you get all artistic G, utterly amazed.

Petie looking the business old friend.

You are way too kind, Bill, thank you. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

On 09/01/2022 at 18:23, Terry1954 said:

A great update Giorgio. The metallic finish is looking superb, and I love what you did to replicate the blue on the nose.

Yes, I agree that blue demarcation towards the very rear end should be higher, so that the whole rear part is almost horizontal, with reference to the fuselage. You'll sort it I know!

Terry

Cheers Terry, thanks! :thumbsup: Blue demarcation fixed now, see below :) 

On 09/01/2022 at 21:48, hendie said:

Lovely update Giorgio. That paint job looks superb

Thanks Alan, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

On 10/01/2022 at 03:19, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio, amazing update and fantastic results.  Quick question if I may, I notice that you dont make use of foil and I would have imagined using this medium could have assisted with creating a difference between some of the painted and NMF straight parts of the wing--I acknowledge foil is a tough medium on compound curve areas.  Please dont take this question as critique--the finish looks amazing and I will likely try to emulate it in a future, I am just curious if you considered the foil medium and decided that you could achieve better results with metalizers--& if so, why? (I always learn from you)  Speaking of learning, the jig you made for the canopy brace is a great idea--it is now in my hard drive and I will use it in the future. 🙂  Thanks for posting this amazing update--Best, Erwin      

Cheers Erwin, thank you! :thumbsup: As for your question: I've simply never used foil, and I'm quite happy with decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium as a base for any NMF paint job. Maybe I'll try one day, but for the moment I'm sticking with this system :winkgrin:

On 10/01/2022 at 07:48, Biggles87 said:

Great update G. Happy New Year.

The flaps came out well in the end, I'm also a fan of AK Extreme Metal.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup: AK Extreme Metal work very well, and they come ready to spray, so that's another plus for me :) 

On 10/01/2022 at 21:32, TheBaron said:

A bravura last update Giorgio but the highlight has to be the way that blue nose sings to the eye against the sleek silvers of the airframe.

This is going to look absolutely superb when finished.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tony :D :thumbsup:

On 12/01/2022 at 01:19, corsaircorp said:

Stunning job Mister G, Bravo !!

I really like the effect on the blue nose !

Petie will be a gem !!

Congrats !! 

CC

Glad you like it, CC! :thumbsup: I sure hope Petie turns out good!

That is beautiful Giorgio, as @perdu says, you are an artist!

Cheers Cookie, you too are too kind! :thumbsup:

On 15/01/2022 at 22:54, rob85 said:

Some very classy work as ever G, I’ve just been catching up. Really is coming along superbly, loving the variation on the blue and the panels for the metal finish. 

hope all is well your end

Rob

All is well around here Rob, thanks for asking - so I hope for you. Thanks for the praise too :thumbsup:

Alright, here's another progress report. First off, as I mentioned, I fixed the blue demarcation, both sides

painting28

painting29

You may have noticed that I also sprayed a gloss cleat coat on top of the blue area; this has made the patchwork paint effect stand out even more, but it's going to look subtle again once the flat clear coat and the weathering go on.

It was then time to paint the insignia on; I designed and cut masks for them with my Curio and using Oramask 810 vinyl. Masks placing for the first paint stage:

painting30

painting31

I sliced (with a razor's edge) the masks along the ailerons actuators so that they would conform better to the wing surface; the blue tack blobs were positioned so as to avoid paint leaking along the cuts.

I then airbrushed a deliberately uneven Tamiya Flat White coat, more or less insisting on the areas where star and white bands will have to be

painting32

I then placed the inner elements for the masks 

painting33

and airbrushed Lifecolor Matt French Blue, keeping it quite thick as a mix - again, with the intent of avoiding any unwanted paint leaks

painting34

painting35

I should mention that, prior to start painting, I sealed all the masks edges with Aqua Gloss by brush; similarly, after the white coat, I sealed it airbrushing Aqua Gloss again on top of it.

Upon removal of said masks, I was quite happy with the outcome: bottom wing

painting36

Top wing

painting37

Port 

painting38

Starboard

painting39

Port insignia showed some blue on the right white bar, so I fixed it by stippling on some Lifecolor Matt white with an old flat brush

painting40

After some minor touch ups, all the roundels received a protective gloss clear coat

painting41

painting42

The codes are going to be next (I made masks for them too, obvs :winkgrin:), once the clear coat has properly cured.

Meanwhile, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

On 16/01/2022 at 22:07, hendie said:

Lovely job Giorgio - superb detail painting once again

Thanks Alan, glad you approve of it! :thumbsup:

On 16/01/2022 at 23:55, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic masking work Giorgio, I love those stars!

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup: I'm pretty happy myself at the way they turned out.

On 17/01/2022 at 00:14, Terry1954 said:

Absolutely beautiful paintwork Giorgio and fantastic masking work. She's going to look awesome when finished.

Terry

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Terry! :thumbsup:

On 17/01/2022 at 06:54, mark.au said:

Really fine paint work there, this one is developing into a very nice model.  I must get around to a blue nos3 Mustang one day…

Thanks Mark! :thumbsup:  I think this is the coolest scheme for a Mustang!

On 17/01/2022 at 09:54, perdu said:

Superb!

Thanks Bill! :thumbsup:

On 17/01/2022 at 15:21, 81-er said:

The markings have come out really nicely

James

Thank you James, more markings painting below :) :thumbsup:

On 17/01/2022 at 18:04, Brandy said:

Is there paint yet?

Oh, wait, I think I'm a little bit behind.

Looking fabulous Giorgio, lovely masking.

Ian

:rofl: Yeah, this time you've fallen a bit behind, Ian - more painting below :winkgrin: 

On 17/01/2022 at 20:14, Navy Bird said:

Great work with the masking. She be lookin' good!

Cheers,

Bill 

Hopefully so, Bill - thanks! :thumbsup:

On 22/01/2022 at 00:39, The Spadgent said:

Sheesh! I know I’m an advocate of the…. Ahem.. “decal” but your paint work here G is something else. Total Boba fett nod in your general direction. I’m in complete awe. Jim is a lucky so and so. 🤩

Johnny

:rofl: You're pretty good with decals, I have to say :D :winkgrin: Anyway, with markings this big, for me it's a no brainer. See below for more :thumbsup:

Alright folks, not a huge progress to report, but still some progress was made. As I mentioned earlier, I did make masks for the code letters, so I airbrushed them on with Tamiya Flat Black:

painting43

painting44

Next two shots show the same, but after a protective Aqua Gloss coat

painting47

painting48

I did cut a mask for the port flap "walkway" (or whatever that thing is)

painting45

and airbrushed it with Italeri Flat Insignia Red

painting46

The marginal paint leaks were removed with a toothpick, but I forgot to take another photo :shrug:

A bit more detail painting: the canopy frame was airbrushed with decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium on the outside and Tamiya Flat Black on the inside. The black area was subsequently weathered by drybrushing some Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey and Light Gull Grey, followed but a flat clear coat

canopy_frame6

I then glued on the canopy (whose framing was brush painted with Vallejo Air Silver and Italeri Flat Black) with TeT

canopy_frame7

The blue tack was needed to spread out the front arms of the canopy frame, so as to get them flush with the clear part.

There was a last bit of construction I left behind, which was adding the brake lines to the main struts:

painting49

Here I used two different wires, one thicker (0.6mm solder) inside the scissor link, and a thinner copper wire for the actual line. I then airbrushed them with decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium

painting50

Drop tanks: after airbrushing them with AK Xtreme Metal Chrome, I brush painted the fuel caps with Lifecolor Matt Red thinned with Future

painting51

Same for the main AC fuel caps (they still need some more detail painting, though)

painting52

That's it for the WE, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 21

Wow, I am really sorry for missing this build Giorgio, she looks masterful sir.

I built the RAF Mustang III years ago it seems and she was a nice kit.

I have got this beauty in the stash, and it has made me think that I just might bring this kit forward in the line, so to speak.

DSCN2533

If I can get a finish 1/10th as good as your one I will be happy.

Simon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 23/01/2022 at 23:23, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, wow!  The markings and metal

finish is coming together superbly!  Best, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thanks! :thumbsup:

On 24/01/2022 at 00:20, hendie said:

Superb masking and markings G.  Nice to see a splash of red in there now too.

Thank you Alan, glad you like it :thumbsup: A bit more of detail painting to do, and I agree it adds interest to the overall look :) 

On 24/01/2022 at 00:41, The Spadgent said:

Splendid work G. Code letters look the business as do the accent colours. Nice chrome finish on those fuel tanks by the way.👏👏👏

Johnny

Thank you Johnny! :thumbsup: Chrome finish courtesy of AK Xtreme Metal, very effective!

On 24/01/2022 at 06:29, Brandy said:

The codes and markings are perfect, she's turning into quite a "looker"!

Ian

Thanks Ian, glad you like it :thumbsup:

On 24/01/2022 at 07:25, Biggles87 said:

This is turning into a typical Giorgio masterpiece. Quelle surprise!

John

Vous êtes trop gentil, monsieur! :D 

On 24/01/2022 at 07:57, Hamden said:

What a STUNNING Mustang superb workmanship as always with your projects

Stay safe          Roger

Way too kind, Roger - thank you :thumbsup:

On 25/01/2022 at 21:14, Spookytooth said:

Wow, I am really sorry for missing this build Giorgio, she looks masterful sir.

I built the RAF Mustang III years ago it seems and she was a nice kit.

I have got this beauty in the stash, and it has made me think that I just might bring this kit forward in the line, so to speak.

No problem Simon, too many great things going on at the same time on BM, I know :D  :D 

That Eduard kit made me drool, BTW  :tasty: 

Belated WE progress report, but it was actually a very busy WE, so not much time at the bench.

Before starting the decals/stickers frenzy, I still had to add a detail, to wit the radiator flap actuator arm. I first marked where to drill receiving hole son the flap and inside the radiator outlet

radiator_flap1

I used a strip of Oramask for the outlet, so that I could guesstimate the center line properly, and to protect the paint job while drilling. The actuator was scratch built form 0.6mm brass pipe, tapered at the flap end just like(-ish) the real thing. A dry fit in place

radiator_flap2

radiator_flap3

It was eventually time for decals: I started with the propeller

decals1

As you can see, they look pretty thick. This had me worried, but as it turned out, they looked much better on the shiny metal finish. Drop tanks:

decals2

Serials

decals3

decals4

and wing fuel caps stenciling

decals5

Pretty happy with those. I hope I'll be able to complete the decal job during the week, so that I can begin with the weathering next WE.

As for the propeller stickers, I still have to go over them with a protective gloss coat, so I hope that will reduce the thickness effect. Fingers crossed!

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 22

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oooh lovely decals Giorgio. Looking forward to the weathering over those beauties. 😃

Johnny

Yeah, me too :frantic:  :D  Thanks Johnny! :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Many people think that Tamiya decals are too thick and don’t conform well, but yours don’t look too bad alongside the painted national markings.

John

As I said, posed on the black base of the propeller blades, they show all their thickness (I hope further clear coats will fix that). Instead, they really look like painted on over the metallic surfaces (in real life they look just exactly as in my pics).

As for conforming: the wing fuel caps stencils have the clear supporting film actually covering the caps themselves; a bit of Tamiya Mark Fit Strong made it conform to them properly. You just need to wait for the decal to cure a few minutes before applying it.

Ciao

• Like 1

So, where were we? Ah, right: decals. Looks like the ones on the propeller blades turned out better after a protective Aqua Gloss coat:

decals6

No trouble with the ones on the canopy

decals7

and with all the others on the main AC

decals8

decals9

Here's another pic after I airbrushed some Tamiya Smoke on the fuselage and the ailerons, which constitutes the beginning of weathering. before moving on with that, I'll let it cure overnight, then I'm going to seal everything with a gloss clear coat, before starting the proper weathering.

decals10

I did anyway achieved something in that respect, albeit limited to the spinner: oil dots on first

weathering1

Then I removed them with an old rag and applied a black panel line wash

weathering2

No flat coat yet, though - I need the oil to cure first. I will apply the same technique to the blue nose, obvs.

Next time, though; for now, all comments welcome.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
forgot one pic
  • Like 16