453rd BG Museum build: P-51D Mustang Petie 2nd. COMPLETED p.12

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2021 at 01:21, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, the cockpit looks 1st rate—looking forward to how you will sort out the wheel wells—I am confident it will be awe inspiring—best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin :thumbsup: Wait no more, see below for the wheel wells extravaganza - I wouldn't know about awe inspiring, though.... :shrug:

Hi everybody, time to get some substantial job done on this, I really don't want to be the last one to turn in a model for the museum build :D 

Wheel wells: loosely basing my efforts on a picture of the Aires resin bay, I proceeded with removing the moulded in back wall (starboard side first) and gluing in a new one made form plasticard sheet, 0.5mm thickness

wings7

I used bits from the removed plastic to strengthen the bond

wings8

Then I had to enlarge the spars or whatever they are called (defintely need to upgrade my aeronautical English :banghead:);  I had to do that in two steps, as tracing the back wall profile on the upper wing was almost impossible

wings9

Here's a dry fit

wings10

Port side was easier, having the other one as template

wings11

So I glued in the central well section, added some sprue goo along the joins of the scratch built sections, sanded to shape and did another dry fit

wings12

This is what you get to see, and looking from a  very odd angle

wings13

Not sure it was actually worth the hassle, you guys will be the judges. Anyway, I now need to add some cabling and piping inside the wheel bay, before I can glue the bottom wing to the fuselage.

Next time though - meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 22

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Cor! That’s looking rather splendid. 👌

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, glad you approve of! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, hendie said:

Well worth the effort Giorgio, it all counts in the end

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well worth it, gorgeous scratch work Giorgio!

Thank you Alan and Cookie, will see how it looks under a coat of (metallic) paint.... :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

very well work on the wheel wells Giorgio,  be careful with the dihedral angle in the Tamiya kit, it can be flat, maybe some reinforcement will help to keep the right angle, here is a diagram 

Muchas gracias, Antonio :thumbsup: Also for the heads up on the dihedral; however, I did check and it looks like there's plenty of it in this case. I'll post some pics during the week to show what I found

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good start on the wheel well improvements, I'd call the transverse pieces ribs. Don't forget the holes.

John

Ribs, right! :doh: Thanks :thumbsup: Which holes are you referring to, please?

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi Giorgio

This is the best I can find at the moment, taken from my well worn Squadron P-51D Walk Around. You can see some of the holes  in some photos, and in others where the electrical and hydraulic lines pass through some of the ribs. Perhaps @antonio argudo will come up with some better pics, he likes Mustangs and seems to have lots of photos of them. I was going to suggest looking at one of the 1/32 Revell builds but they don’t have the holes either, bet you wish you hadn’t started the improvements now.

IMG_2304 IMG_2303

Hope this helps

John
PS: In case you’re wondering about the colours, I think the photos were from a post WW2/Korean War aircraft when everything had been overpainted, probably several times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2021 at 11:26, Fritag said:

:rofl2:

That was a joke right? :D

No, not really... :D  :D  :D  Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

On 27/09/2021 at 11:41, Terry1954 said:

That wheel bay is starting to look the biz Giorgio, well worth the effort IMHO. With wiring etc it will look great.

Terry

Cheers Terry, thank you :thumbsup:  There's lot of wiring to add... :frantic:

18 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Very impressive build progress so far...

Serkan

Thank you Serkan :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Brandy said:

Definitely worth the effort.

Spars support the wing end to end, ribs form the shape from front to back. 

Those are ribs.

Ian

Spars and ribs, got it! Thanks Ian :thumbsup:

57 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Giorgio

This is the best I can find at the moment, taken from my well worn Squadron P-51D Walk Around. You can see some of the holes  in some photos, and in others where the electrical and hydraulic lines pass through some of the ribs. Perhaps @antonio argudo will come up with some better pics, he likes Mustangs and seems to have lots of photos of them. I was going to suggest looking at one of the 1/32 Revell builds but they don’t have the holes either, bet you wish you hadn’t started the improvements now.

Hope this helps

John
PS: In case you’re wondering about the colours, I think the photos were from a post WW2/Korean War aircraft when everything had been overpainted, probably several times.

Thanks John :thumbsup:  I think I'll have to cheat somewhat here; first off, most of those holes are in a position where I won't be able to fit any drill bit. Secondly, the central wheel well section is glued with the bottom wing, while the ribs are on the top wings, so I'm gonna have to add the cables and pipes in sections, creating the illusion of them passing through the ribs. Taking also into account that in the end, the only visible part will likely be the central one, I think it should pass muster. I'll see as I go along, anyway.

As for the colors, after much reading on the subject, I think I'll leave the bay interiors in an unpainted aluminium finish (i.e. I'll spray some Tamiya Alu on them)

Ciao

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

HI everybody; taking advantage of the long WE I finally bit the bullet and completed the main wheel bay with some scratch built piping and cabling. As I mentioned in my last post, I had to cheat a bit as regards cables passing through the ribs, like this:

wings14

Once the wings got mated (dry fit only), here's how it looked

wings15

Few more details added, from copper and solder wire, various sizes

wings16

Similar treatment for the other side

wings17

I then airbrushed a base coat of Tamiya Flat Black, followed by decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium, again by airbrush

wings18

And, after some detail painting and a black tempera wash...

wings19

About the well interior: after much reading about the subject, I determined that there is no way to know which part exactly were painted YZC on any given aircraft, unless clearly showed in a period pic. So I went for what I think it's the most likely configuration for a D-10, painting YZC the ribs and the main spar. BTW, I mixed Lifecolor Flat Yellow and Flat Black and brushed it on, to reproduce YZC; I nicked this advice from someone here on BM, can't remember who at the moment - it looks like it worked, though, so thank you whoever you are :) 

Eventually, I glued the bottom wing to the fuselage. I will let this cure properly before gluing in the top wings, in case some action is required to obtain proper dihedral.

wings20

That's it for this update, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 21

17 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Beautiful work in those wheel wells Giorgio!

Terry

17 hours ago, Fritag said:

Seconded.

Cheers Terry and Steve, thank you guys! :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Hamden said:

Those wheel bays look superb as does the rest of your work

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger, glad you like them :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely pipes! 🤩 Great paintwork too as always. I hate trying to get colours “right” it’s a ruddy minefield and can really slow a project. What you have looks amazing. 😇

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup: I agree with you regarding colors, in that it's a minefield; I tried to make the most sensible decision, I just hope it's not too far off. I really didn't want to jeopardize any more this build, after all I think James is gonna want to have these models back sometimes... :rofl: 

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Those pipes are smokin' G.

Thanks Alan, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

Stunning little details as ever G, really like how the UC is coming together!

Rob

Thank you Rob, it was about time I got going with this :winkgrin:  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, perdu said:

What lovely pipework, I bet it was hard to stop them leaking when you filled them with hydraulic fluid.

Gorgeous highlighting.

👍

I cheated, I used wine. So I could recover the spilled liquid - environment friendly I am, right? :winkgrin:  :rofl:

Ciao

• Haha 3