453rd BG Museum build: P-51D Mustang Petie 2nd. COMPLETED p.12

The IP looks much better now, and the overall cockpit detail is superb. I have always thought that the moulded on throttle quadrant on the Tamiya P-51 was a little flat but yours stand out very well after painting.

Stay safe.

John

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful cockpit work Giorgio, and like Ced, am especially intrigued by the worn floor boards - very realistic result!

Pretty happy with that myself, Cookie - thank you! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, you are sorting this out nicely--best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The IP looks much better now, and the overall cockpit detail is superb. I have always thought that the moulded on throttle quadrant on the Tamiya P-51 was a little flat but yours stand out very well after painting.

Stay safe.

John

Thank you John :thumbsup: I decided to keep the kit detail for the throttle part because the PE alternative looked very flat to me, while Tamiya representation can be brought to life with some judicious painting - which, BTW, isn't completed yet.

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi Giorgio

Really enjoying this build, as I do all of your builds, you are a talented modeller

Quick question - 'decanted Tamiya silver'  - how do you do that without filling the room with spray?

Thanks in anticipation

Geoff

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Kitsticker said:

Hi Giorgio

Really enjoying this build, as I do all of your builds, you are a talented modeller

Quick question - 'decanted Tamiya silver'  - how do you do that without filling the room with spray?

Thanks in anticipation

Geoff

Thank you Geoff :thumbsup: It's pretty simple, really; what you need is a (preferably) plastic straw, the size of the spray can nozzle (or wider). I prefer the bendy ones

bend-straw-500x500.jpg

Then you need a glass pot (I normally reuse Tamiya paint pots); remove the lid, put some kitchen clinging film on the aperture, making sure it's tight on the border, so as to avoid any paint leaks. Take the straw, cut the long end at almost double the pot height; the cut should be diagonal, so that you can pierce through the top of the clinging film. Fit the short end of the straw to the spray can nozzle; you want to use some blue tack around this end, again to prevent leaks. I also add some masking tape to secure the bond between nozzle and straw. Pierce through the clinging film with the other end and spray away!

I do recommend you try this in a safe place, of course. Once you're done, don't put the lid back on the pot: you need to let the propellant evaporate from the paint. What I do to just lean the lid on top of the pot so that it leaves a small gap, and let it like this overnight. Then you can screw the lid back on tight.

HTH

Ciao

PS: there are many YouTube videos about how to do that, with all sort of variations. Just search for "decanting spray paint", it will help you visualize what I've jut written.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Until I discovered AK Extreme metals my favourite Tamiya sprays were AS12 amd TS42, Bare Metal Silver and Light Gunmetal. I still have an old Tamiya pot containing something which could be AS12 but the label has come off. Have you kept any over long periods and if so are they still useable?

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure I once kept the can for a few years, and the same for the decanted paint.

If yours hasn't dried out, I think you're still good to go. You may want to add a drop or two of cellulose thinner in your airbrush cup, but I don't think this is strictly necessary 

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Thank you Geoff :thumbsup: It's pretty simple, really; what you need is a (preferably) plastic straw, the size of the spray can nozzle (or wider). I prefer the bendy ones

bend-straw-500x500.jpg

Then you need a glass pot (I normally reuse Tamiya paint pots); remove the lid, put some kitchen clinging film on the aperture, making sure it's tight on the border, so as to avoid any paint leaks. Take the straw, cut the long end at almost double the pot height; the cut should be diagonal, so that you can pierce through the top of the clinging film. Fit the short end of the straw to the spray can nozzle; you want to use some blue tack around this end, again to prevent leaks. I also add some masking tape to secure the bond between nozzle and straw. Pierce through the clinging film with the other end and spray away!

I do recommend you try this in a safe place, of course. Once you're done, don't put the lid back on the pot: you need to let the propellant evaporate from the paint. What I do to just lean the lid on top of the pot so that it leaves a small gap, and let it like this overnight. Then you can screw the lid back on tight.

HTH

Ciao

PS: there are many YouTube videos about how to do that, with all sort of variations. Just search for "decanting spray paint", it will help you visualize what I've jut written.

Thanks Giorgio!

That sounds so easy but I am just imagining how many ways it could go badly wrong - try and explain to the 'other half' why the carpet is silver all of a sudden...............I think I'll watch the videos, and do it out doors!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I attempted decanting paint once … It took me a while to clean up the mess and I needed to replace the glass jar as it was ruined. I consider it a Witches art the same as rigging bi-planes. 😉

Ooh, I can manage it without too much mess now so does that mean I can also rig biplanes?  :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's a lot easier than it sounds, guys :D But Geoff @Kitsticker, I think it's wise to try outdoors for the first time :winkgrin:

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Ooh, I can manage it without too much mess now so does that mean I can also rig biplanes?  :smile:

If that's true, I have some hopes for when I get round the only biplane I have in my stash... :frantic:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2021 at 6:50 PM, Fritag said:

Have you tried the Tamiya laquer alu paints Giorgio? I’d be interested to know how they compare.

My P-51B & D double build (next after the P-38F) is going to use Tamiya lacquers on at least one of them for precisely this purpose.  So far I’m a big fan of them

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So far I’m a big fan of them

I’ve got some of the flat aluminium and sparkling silver that you used so nicely on the P38 as it happens.  Do you think the finish is as smooth as with alclad all other things being equal (e.g. operator competence :D)……

Edited by Fritag

Great job Mr G

Thanks for the explanation about decanting....

I did it in a bit more barbaric manner, I get outside and spray a bit in a cleaned custard pot....

Now, the first time I did it, I misjudged the spraying power of a Tamiya can.... 

So the plastic has been washed out and the grass was Coral blue....

I know, i know... I'm helpless...

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 6

Don't know how I missed this Giorgio. I seem to say that a lot lately!

Excellent choice of subject and excellent work so far. I do like a P-51 (I'm building my third at the moment).

Carry on with your excellent work!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’ve got some of the flat aluminium and sparkling silver that you used so nicely on the P38 as it happens.  Do you think the finish is as smooth as with alclad all other things being equal (e.g. operator competence :D)……

Yes, I think so - subject to the usual caveats of surface prep being fundamental as every single blemish shows up!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 18/06/2021 at 13:11, corsaircorp said:

Great job Mr G

Thanks for the explanation about decanting....

I did it in a bit more barbaric manner, I get outside and spray a bit in a cleaned custard pot....

Now, the first time I did it, I misjudged the spraying power of a Tamiya can.... 

So the plastic has been washed out and the grass was Coral blue....

I know, i know... I'm helpless...

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, and no problem :thumbsup:

And yes, you are helpless.... :rofl:  :rofl: 

On 18/06/2021 at 17:35, Terry1954 said:

Don't know how I missed this Giorgio. I seem to say that a lot lately!

Excellent choice of subject and excellent work so far. I do like a P-51 (I'm building my third at the moment).

Carry on with your excellent work!

Terry

Glad you like it, Terry :thumbsup: Believe it or not, this is only my second Mustang, with the first being a 1/32 Dragon kit of this very same aircraft, built ages ago and now in the plastic spare parts bin box :D

Welcome on board anyway :) 

Quite some substantial progress to report this week, or so I think.

First off: the seat received some detail painting, weathering, PE belts (boy, those were fiddly! :frantic:) and a final flat clear coat

seat7

Detail painting, black tempera wash and highlights by drybrush for the tub too (all sealed with a flat clear coat, of course)

cockpit23

cockpit24

and the sidewalls

cockpit25

cockpit26

On starboard side I added a couple of decals from the spares for the oxygen regulator and for that gauge right underneath the canopy opening handle - not necessarily accurate, but once it will all be buttoned up, they should contribute to the look :) 

Don't mind the green patch on the black area, that's not going to be visible once the tub is in place.

Radiator glued underneath the tub

cockpit27

Then I glued in the IP and the control column

cockpit28

Tub glued to starboard fuselage half and oxygen hose added subsequently

cockpit29

cockpit30

And the fuselage halves glued together (I also added the oil radiator before doing this, but forgot to take a pic)

fuselage1

I had to use quite some sprue gloop along the fuselage seam, unusual for a Tamiya kit. The tail especially needed filling, but also the underside, in places.

Anyway, this is now curing for a few days before I tackle the seam - it needs to be absolutely blemish free, given the almost overall NMF finish of this subject.

All comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

• Like 27

Looking very nice indeed Giorgio.

I too have never built a P51, even as a kid. I never built a B24, B17, Lanc or Halifax either!

Oh dear....

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 21/06/2021 at 06:07, Stew Dapple said:

That's beautiful work Giorgio B) 

Cheers,

Stew

On 21/06/2021 at 07:30, Biggles87 said:

Agreed!

John

On 21/06/2021 at 11:25, CedB said:

Stunning :) 

On 21/06/2021 at 11:49, Terry1954 said:

Awesome, awesome, awesome ....................... and did I mention awesome!

Terry

Stew, John, Ced and Terry: thank you guys, glad you like it :thumbsup:

On 21/06/2021 at 15:45, hendie said:

Nice work Giorgio - your fiddly belts were well worth the effort

Thanks Alan :thumbsup: I'm still not crazy about PE belts because they are rigid and it's hard to make them look like they lay down in a natural way, but in this case the amount of detail in them surpasses the lack of flexibility. If I had to scratch build them in a more malleable material, I very much doubt I'd have been able to put in even half of the details.

23 hours ago, Brandy said:

Looking very nice indeed Giorgio.

I too have never built a P51, even as a kid. I never built a B24, B17, Lanc or Halifax either!

Oh dear....

Ian

Of course, you only build biplanes.... :rofl: :whistle:

Thanks Ian :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1