453rd BG Museum build: P-51D Mustang Petie 2nd. COMPLETED p.12

On 02/11/2021 at 17:54, Brandy said:

Gorgeous work on the wheel wells Giorgio, they look fantastic!

Ian

Cheers Ina, thank you :thumbsup: 

I managed a bit more work on this during the WE; first off I did check the wings dihedral (thanks to @antonio argudo for the scheme :thumbsup2:):

wings21

Looks pretty good to me :)  

How about with top wings on?

wings22

Still good (don't get fooled by the slightly different perspective). So I glued the top wings in, and here's where we are at now:

wings23

Getting close to the painting stage now - I still need to sort the gunsight, after which I can glue on the windshield, then the tail planes and then start painting :) 

That's it for the day, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 14

Hello Mr G !!

Well done on the 'Stang too !!

I worked a bit on mine last week, see you are doing great as multi builder !!

Slow but deadly good....

Congrats my friend; have a Mc Chouffe on my behalf !

Huh yesterday I tasted and tested the Maredret triple... Maredret is a mere 20kms from my home...

Tasty !! I'll bring some for SMW 22 !!

Sorry for the drift, it happen sometimes with such good beers....:cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/11/2021 at 13:02, corsaircorp said:

Hello Mr G !!

Well done on the 'Stang too !!

I worked a bit on mine last week, see you are doing great as multi builder !!

Slow but deadly good....

Congrats my friend; have a Mc Chouffe on my behalf !

Huh yesterday I tasted and tested the Maredret triple... Maredret is a mere 20kms from my home...

Tasty !! I'll bring some for SMW 22 !!

Sorry for the drift, it happen sometimes with such good beers....:cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

Cheers CC, thank you :thumbsup:

On 13/11/2021 at 15:29, TheBaron said:

At last.... 😁

:bleh:  :bleh: :bleh:

On 13/11/2021 at 17:01, hendie said:

I was going to say something similar, but I'm too polite :D

So sensitive of you.... :rofl:  :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely wings. 👏👏👏👏

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Another rainy WE, so more progress on this (and the Phantoms, but that's another thread :winkgrin: ) . After an overall tidying up of the wings, I needed to do something about the gun barrels; here's how Tamiya represents them

wings24

So I thought I would at least replace the outer barrel for the inner machine gun, and drill out the other two. Like this:

wings25

wings26

What I did was to insert a small length of pipe, coming form the things you put at the end of electric cables to allow for a screw-in connection - this stuff

cavetti.jpg

Still, I wasn't completely happy with the outboard guns, so I replaced them with brass pipe

wings29

More like it, I think.

Then I did a dry fit of some bigger missing bits, like flaps, tail planes, main wheel legs and tail wheel

dryfit5

dryfit6

The tail planes needed some encouragement to align properly (in the form ob blue tack blobs)

dryfit7

I also wanted to check if it is possible to insert the gunsight after having installed the windscreen; turned out it is :yahoo:

dryfit8

dryfit9

So I set the gunsight apart, waiting for some inspiration before dealing with it, and dipped the windscreen in an Aqua Gloss bath - now curing.

I had previously glued in the front part of the radiator intake

20211113_172335

I then glued in the tail planes 

wings30

So here's where she stands as of tonight

wings31

Just need to glue in and mask (or maybe the other way round...) the windscreen, then I can actually start with the painting stage :winkgrin: 

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 18

Hi G,

Really enjoying this build, if and when I build a Mustang (who knows eh?) I will refer to this constantly I'm sure!

Just one thing - do you think it now looks as if there are two different calibres of wing guns?

And a technical issue that you (and the BM collective) may be able to help me with - do you scrape the paint off the contact areas when attaching additional parts - for instance when you attach the canopy will you be scraping the paint off the cockpit edge where it attaches, or glue directly on to the paint

Cheers guys and gals!

Geoff

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good work on the gun barrels, at least you didn’t have badly fitting inserts to deal with.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup2: Kind of Tamiya about the wing engineering, right? :D 

57 minutes ago, Kitsticker said:

Hi G,

Really enjoying this build, if and when I build a Mustang (who knows eh?) I will refer to this constantly I'm sure!

Just one thing - do you think it now looks as if there are two different calibres of wing guns?

And a technical issue that you (and the BM collective) may be able to help me with - do you scrape the paint off the contact areas when attaching additional parts - for instance when you attach the canopy will you be scraping the paint off the cockpit edge where it attaches, or glue directly on to the paint

Cheers guys and gals!

Geoff

Thank you Geoff :thumbsup:

The guns are all the same caliber, but the barrels of inboard ones don't protrude from their external casing, while the others do. Like this:

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/p-51-guns-kevin-kanarski.jpg

As for painted edges: I try to keep them as clean as possible before gluing, but in this case, I'm going to use Formula 560 glue for the canopy (it's vinyl based and dries clear) and I want to keep the black edge around it, so I won't scrape it off. To tell you the truth, when using Tamiya Green Cap I don't bother too much either, especially if the join is then out of sight, because it melts plastic, paint and all. Instead, I think it is crucial having clean edges when using CA glue, otherwise the bond will be on the paint layer and not on the actual plastic. HTH

30 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Splendid progress Giorgio. I especially like that cockpit shot from the port rear aspect. Guns are looking great also. Superb!

Terry

Cheers Terry, thanks - glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very good job Mister G !!

I did the same on my mustangsssss

But you get a bit further... As usual...

I just bored the gun barrels an insert syringe needles...

Congrats....

I smell primer and paint ??? Is'nt it ??

Sincerely

CC

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the photo G, that shows it beautifully - and I never spotted before that the inner muzzle is different, you have captured it perfectly

And thanks chaps for the advice about glueing painted details, that is worth knowing

Cheers

Geoff

• Like 1

On 15/11/2021 at 12:41, hendie said:

I'm with you on the paint/glue thing Giorgio. as long as you don't have an inch thick layer of paint, the glue will dissolve it and get through to the plastic.

That interior is stunning.

Great minds and all of that, right? :rofl:  Thanks for the praise! :thumbsup:

On 15/11/2021 at 14:28, Fritag said:

Coming along splendidly G.  The cockpit and wheel bays look very impressive in situ. 👍

Thank you, Steve - glad you like them :thumbsup:

On 15/11/2021 at 22:55, corsaircorp said:

Very good job Mister G !!

I did the same on my mustangsssss

But you get a bit further... As usual...

I just bored the gun barrels an insert syringe needles...

Congrats....

I smell primer and paint ??? Is'nt it ??

Sincerely

CC

Almost, CC, almost... see below :D  :thumbsup:

On 16/11/2021 at 10:09, Kitsticker said:

Thanks for the photo G, that shows it beautifully - and I never spotted before that the inner muzzle is different, you have captured it perfectly

And thanks chaps for the advice about glueing painted details, that is worth knowing

Cheers

Geoff

No problem Geoff, glad if I could be of any help :thumbsup:

Alright, getting very close to painting this one, but not there yet; I had to take care of a few things first, like the windshield. Here it was, after a bath in Aqua Gloss

windshield1

I first masked the outside with Oramask, cutting the excess away with a #15 blade and a razor's edge

windshield2

Then I masked the inside with regular masking tape (the blue tack blob is there to complement the masking, as I might have been a tad overzealous with the razor blade.... :banghead: )

windshield3

I then sealed the masks edges with Aqua Gloss, brushed on with a fine tipped brush, and airbrushed it with a coat of Tamiya Flat Black

windshield4

Once gloss coated (Aqua Gloss by brush again), I removed the inside masking and glued it in place using TeT

windshield5

A smear of PPP was needed on the central portion of the join

windshield6

Next thing: the wings and their laminar flow. There are quite a few threads on BM on this subject; to make a long story short, I decided to go with this scheme:

A6Bg5UH-1024x922

beCbCrm-1024x922

as it looked the more convincing to me. So I used PPP to fill in the puttied panel lines, top side:

wings32

and bottom

wings33

The PPP will shrink a little bit, but I'm actually counting on that: my goal wasn't to completely obliterate the panel lines, because in some pics you can see a hint of them under the smooth surface of the wings. So the idea is to spray some primer on the relevant areas, followed by the metallic finish, and hope to see a shadow of a panel line afterwards. Will see if it works or not.

Next WE I think I can actually start painting this baby; for now we stop here. All comments welcome, as usual.

Ciao

• Like 16

What the  doodaa the what

the hooolah the what the heck the WWWWWWWW?? (words   escape me, clearly)

This is just amazing

I at least, am in awe

k/G

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, hendie said:

I like you thinking on the use of the ppp. It sounds like it should achieve the effect you're after - hopefully :D

Me too.  If there’s any cosmic consistency it will shrink a little.  It does when you don’t want it to after all.

Actually I think it’ll do the job even if it doesn’t shrink.  Micromeshing the wings will take a little of the PPP out leaving a shallow concave line.  At least it’s always done that when I didn’t want it to when filling panel lines with PPP

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Another lovely update Giorgio.

I've steered clear of PPP most of the  time cos I don't like the ease with which it can come away again when sanding, but in this case I reckon it will work fine.

I've built two P-51's to date, with another on the almost complete (all 1/72) and never bothered with the wing joint paste, but it is clearly something that should be done. There will be others following, so must remember that next time.

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 22/11/2021 at 00:09, hendie said:

Nice job on the windscreen - looks very much the part.

I like you thinking on the use of the ppp. It sounds like it should achieve the effect you're after - hopefully :D

Thanks Alan :thumbsup: See below to check how it turned out...

On 22/11/2021 at 03:21, Kitsticker said:

What the  doodaa the what

the hooolah the what the heck the WWWWWWWW?? (words   escape me, clearly)

This is just amazing

I at least, am in awe

k/G

You are way too kind, Geoff - glad you like it :thumbsup:

On 22/11/2021 at 11:21, Fritag said:

Me too.  If there’s any cosmic consistency it will shrink a little.  It does when you don’t want it to after all.

Actually I think it’ll do the job even if it doesn’t shrink.  Micromeshing the wings will take a little of the PPP out leaving a shallow concave line.  At least it’s always done that when I didn’t want it to when filling panel lines with PPP

It did shrink, Steve; maybe even too much. See below :) 

On 22/11/2021 at 15:01, Terry1954 said:

Another lovely update Giorgio.

I've steered clear of PPP most of the  time cos I don't like the ease with which it can come away again when sanding, but in this case I reckon it will work fine.

I've built two P-51's to date, with another on the almost complete (all 1/72) and never bothered with the wing joint paste, but it is clearly something that should be done. There will be others following, so must remember that next time.

Terry

Cheers Terry, thank you :thumbsup: I never sand PPP, I just use a wet finger, a moist makeup brush or a moist regular brush to smooth it down and bring it to shape. As you say, it doesn't take sanding very well :shrug:

On 24/11/2021 at 16:23, Biggles87 said:

Good plan for the wings, I think there should be a hint of panel lines, especially aft of the gun access panels.

Good luck.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup: See below for the wings 

Apologies for the late replies, guys - I was out to Germany on a business trip for almost the whole week, so no modelling and almost no wi-fi... :banghead:

Anyway, I did mange something during the WE, to wit: masking 

masking1

masking2

The idea was to airbrush some primer on the wings and on the canvas covered areas (rudder and elevators), then airbrush decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium all over. 

I started airbrushing my usual mix of Vallejo Grey Primer and Future, but it turned out in an epic fail: i couldn't find a decent thinning, the thing would just clog my airbrush like concrete or spray so thin as to flood everything; so in the end I resorted to spraying some good old Tamiya Sky grey, thinned with cellulose thinner. This was the result

primer1

primer2

After a bit of clean up for some unwanted paint leaks, I set off to airbrush the metallic paint. I thought to show my setup for decanting paint, as in the past someone asked me how I did it; first off, I cut one end of a straw (the kind that bends) to have a pointy edge, and fix the other end to the spraying nozzle using blue tack (and masking tape to secure the join)

decanting1

Then I wrap the paint pot in some cling film, like this

decanting2

I then just pierce through the film with the pointy end of the straw and spray away like crazy :D Easy, and no paint spill whatsoever. Very important: I leave the paint in the pot with the cap just laying on top and leaving a small gap so that the propellant gas evaporates - it takes a few hours for that. If you don't do that, prepare for a surprise when you open the pot.... :boom:  :D 

So, spraying: it looks like the PPP thing sort of worked

painting1

As a reference, the gun access panels were left unfilled, and the difference is quite visible. I'm not sure it's enough, though; I may try adding some more PPP and spray another coat. What do we think?

Here's the bottom side, meanwhile

painting2

And a view from a diving angle

painting3

Those pics aren't the best, but with the paint still curing, I didn't dare handling the model at all.

Looks like the fun has begun: from now on (once it's all properly cured) it will all be about tone variations on the metal, before airbrushing the blue nose, the markings and all.

That's it for the day, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 15

Paint!!!

I really like the effect of the Tamiya over the bare plastic and primer to contrast the metal vs lacquer areas on the real thing, so cool Giorgio.

I've found that I have to paint over panel lines filled with PPP a few couple times then sand them down to get them to completely disappear. That being said, they look subtle enough next to the ammo covers that I'd be tempted to keep them as is.

• Like 1

Looking good to me too.

On the wing underside, the two large panels aft of the main undercarriage ( called the stress doors ) were unpainted natural metal according to my favourite Mustang book, “ Building the P-51 Mustang “ by Michael O’Leary.

John

PS I think leaving the gun access panel lines unfilled is the right decision as they were removeable after all.

• Like 1