Douglas Taskmaster 1/35? Home made (ish)

Hi 👋 thought I'd come bother you lovely people for a while.

A friend and I used to work at a molding and resin casting company here in Birmingham many moons ago. It's funny, when I worked there I had little to no interest in the actual hobby. I liked the molding and casting part more, all the different resins and metals, all the different kinds of rubber molds etc. 

Some of the work we did, I've seen here on this forum too 😀

Anyway.

The boss would let us have bits and bobs for our own use and silly me, never really grabbed much that was on offer. Just the odd figure, tiny machine gun or car body I had molded myself as a momento. My friend however did. 

He gave me a little box a few years back that had a Douglas Taskmaster in. He made one himself ages ago and put together a little homemade kit for me to. 

I need a bit of a break from rigging Ww1 wingy things so I'm here with this. 

2021-05-16_01-20-48

It doesn't really need much fettling, just assembly. 

Im not sure about the trailer bit. Anyone have a link to a picture? 

🐧

Edited by FPDPenguin

• FPDPenguin changed the title to Douglas Taskmaster 1/35? Home made (ish)

There's a little bit in the bottom that accepts a coin cell to make the beacon flash. 

20210516_225453

I bagged a free sample of this stuff ages ago, seems like a good time to test it out, now it's out if date 😂

20210516_231529

Had to scrape away a bit here over the gearbox to get the engine to sit a little better. 

20210516_231546

Seats have already had the mounts made. 

20210516_231620

Seats and front bumper on. The hutch is already made too. 

20210516_233042

Same goes for the back. 

20210516_233059

Dry fit of the wheels to what we've got. 

20210516_233730

Realised after uploading the pic that I took it with the wheels on the wrong way around 🙄

20210516_233752

All credit to my pal here. He's thought of everything. 

Battery, exhaust and bits to be added tomorrow, getting late now. 

Oh, superglue seems to work just fine. Has a bit of working time maybe 2-3 minutes, but as soon as it goes, it's jelly for a few seconds then it sets rock solid. 

I'm not sure if this is in the right section of the forum. But thanks for looking 👍

🐧

• Like 5

Satin white paint undercoat, a little bit of xf1 black here and there, and then on with the layers and layers of yellow paint. 

20210517_194013

20210517_194007

You can't see it very well in this pic but the clutch and brake pedal need replacing. There are significant bubbles in it, I think my friend cast these at home without a vac tank. 

Will get some other bits painted and report back. 

🐧

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Like 5

In the daylight today sat at the window it dawned on me that this is way to yellow. Going to need a little orange on it. The yellow base should help though. Just need to be careful not to create shadow in the wrong place. 

This is a neat project! too bad about the bubbles....can you fill them with some putty? or, leave them open and start adding rust!  As for the yellow, I've done some work recently with yellow, and had the same brightness challenge.  I was able to knock the color back by applying various washes of diluted acrylics.  A go-to of mine is Life-Color Dust 1.  I make sure it's really diluted, then add several layers, checking effect every now and then, letting it dry and decide if more is needed.  This process might take some patience, as the first wash can either look horrendous, or too thin, but it usually looks different when dry.  The faint beige tone over the yellow can make it look less sharp.  If the goal if to be a bit more weathered, I've used a very diluted wash of anthracite before the dust with nice results. 

Cheers

Nick 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stickframe said:

This is a neat project! too bad about the bubbles....can you fill them with some putty? or, leave them open and start adding rust!  As for the yellow, I've done some work recently with yellow, and had the same brightness challenge.  I was able to knock the color back by applying various washes of diluted acrylics.  A go-to of mine is Life-Color Dust 1.  I make sure it's really diluted, then add several layers, checking effect every now and then, letting it dry and decide if more is needed.  This process might take some patience, as the first wash can either look horrendous, or too thin, but it usually looks different when dry.  The faint beige tone over the yellow can make it look less sharp.  If the goal if to be a bit more weathered, I've used a very diluted wash of anthracite before the dust with nice results. 

Cheers

Nick 

I will probably weather this, a lot. I'm thinking of making a diorama and this could be extra for it. 

I'm definitely going to give a few goes with some rust looking wash. Maybe even a light dusting of an orange color first. 

I've got some humbrol rust wash but never used it. It's enamel stuff. 

🐧

On 5/16/2021 at 9:46 PM, FPDPenguin said:

Im not sure about the trailer bit.

Looks fine to me. Front and rear you want an L shaped length of scale 1 inch rod in each pintle. Usually painted red.

What time period is this for? We had yellow way back, then we went green in the 70's, now it's yellow again.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looks fine to me. Front and rear you want an L shaped length of scale 1 inch rod in each pintle. Usually painted red.

What time period is this for? We had yellow way back, then we went green in the 70's, now it's yellow again.

I guess whenever it was yellow/orange 😂

• Haha 2

I've spent a lot of time blatting around on one of those!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Dave

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Coors54 said:

I've spent a lot of time blatting around on one of those!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Dave

Cool, they do look fun. Any details of note you can remember? The levers are they silver or black? What's on the dash dials? Was the floor always painted the same color or did it change at all? 

Finding pictures of these bits and bobs is proving to be a bit of a challenge 

🐧

It was over twenty years ago and it had been repainted many times, so anything you do would be correct. The gear lever knob was black!

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 21/05/2021 at 08:13, Coors54 said:

It was over twenty years ago and it had been repainted many times, so anything you do would be correct. The gear lever knob was black!

Dave

Would you happen to remeber if the rear of it had black diagonal lines on it?