Harrier "For Sale" Sign - Last Aircraft Carrier Landing

wellsprop

Hi all,

I belive this was taken following either the last landing or last take-off of a Harrier from a UK aircraft carrier. 

article-1335326-0C561786000005DC-895_964

Can anyone tell me which aircraft this is (or have a picture of the whole aircraft). 

It's certainly one of the FAA Harriers as the pilot has an 801 (edit I meant 801, not 809) Nas cover over his visor.

Cheers

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

t's certainly one of the FAA Harriers as the pilot has an 809 Nas cover over his visor.

So the pilot is most likely 809 NAS, but the Harrier has an RAF Wing Commanders pennant below the windscreen, which should help ID it - @NG899??

Edit - Possibly 1(F) Sqn ZG480?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/British-Aerospace-Harrier-GR9/1730875/L

@Dave Swindell good spot, all RAF machines flown by Navy crew and Navy squadrons. 

ZG480 - not sure as there are no yellow stencils above the footstep and the pennant is in a different place (ZG480 is further forward).

I think the FAA Harrier Gr7/9s did fly with Nas markings. 

It is GR9A ZG506/77A one of four GR9As - two each from 1(F) Sqn and 800 NAS - flown onto HMS Ark Royal at 10:56GMT on 19 November 2010 by Lt Chris ‘Casper’ Roy as Jedi 3, with the sign in place, for JFH’s last deployment on the ship. Under “For Sale“ are the words “One Careful (crossed out) Owner”. I believe Lt Roy received a reprimand for his actions and did not fly a Harrier again. Yes, his visor cover shows 801’s insignia; he flew SHAR FA2s with them.

The final Harrier of the four to land on was 800’s specially marked ZD351(/18A) flown by Flt Lt Richard Heap (Jedi 4). The first to land was 1(F)’s specially marked ZG477(/67A) piloted by Wg Cdr David Haines, OC 1(F) (Jedi 1), with ZD467/57A the second down piloted by 1(F)’s XO, Sqn Ldr Chris Cartmell (Jedi 2). 

ZG506 had an illustrious future. When Ark was berthed in Newcastle on its final cruise, ZG506 was displayed on the lowered No.1 lift. By this time the name of Wg Cdr LS Taylor had been added after the pennant on the starboard side of the cockpit; Linc Taylor had been OC 20 Sqn. The troublesome sign was still inside the cockpit but had been turned around to show it’s origins as parcel wrapping.

ZG506 was later repainted in the retro scheme and flown by JFH’s Force Commander, Gp Capt Gary Waterfall, on 15 December 2010, when it was the last Harrier to land on a memorable day. 

The last four Harrier GR9As to leave HMS Ark Royal between 09:00 and 09:10GMT on 24 November 2010 were, in order:

ZD351 Capt Mike Carty RM (800NAS)

ZG506/77A Lt Matt Fookes-Bale RN (800NAS)

ZD467/57A Flt Lt Em Rickards - 1(F) Sqn

ZG477 Lt Cdr James Blackmore RN - OC A-Flt 1(F) Sqn.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Edited by NG899
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Are the Harriers all retired?

In the UK yes, the US still uses them at the moment. We sold ours to the US for spares!

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

In the UK yes, the US still uses them at the moment. We sold ours to the US for spares!

Didn’t know. I’ve been under a rock. That’s Britain’s pride and joy.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Didn’t know. I’ve been under a rock. That’s Britain’s pride and joy.

10 years ago... big rock? ;)

WAS.....

• Haha 3

Chris Roy's sign got him a bit of an ear-wigging; there were concerns that a pilot might do something mildly embarrassing regarding the retirement, and Gary Waterfall had effectively promised that there'd be no humour which could be twisted by the media as part of the deal to allow coverage of the final launch. He wasn't incandescent about it, but could've done without the humour....

Chris Roy did fly  Harriers again  - he went off to France as a liaison officer, then on exchange to VMAT-203 about 18 months after the end of the Harrier in UK service

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...