Mig-21 SM - Eduard 1/72

Hello,

I had a hard time deciding  which livery I wanted for my Eduard 72nd scale Mig-21 MF.

Then I decided for a russian aircraft with one of those complicated camos with several coulors. I found an interesting aircraft in white 17.

It is a 5 + 1 colour camoed aircraft  (+1 being the emerald green patches which might be repair works or touch ups…)

This actually is a Mig-21 SM (SM being basically being the domestic version and MF beig the export version).

White 17 belongs to the 1st Squadron ou the Fighter-Bomber 18th Regiment – 303rd Composite Air Division based at Galyonki Air Base as seen in 1985 (well that is what the decals instructions claim.)

I actually found several profiles and several decals for this Aircraft (Lindenhill decals, RV Aircraft, Tally Ho decals and others, and no two camo pattern description was the same. Unfortunately although this aircraft seems to inspire many, I could not find any photo.  

I decided to stay with the Tally Ho interpretation because it was close to the RV Aircraft scheme (at least two patterns were close – Linden Hill and other profiles were very different) and also because it came with a 4 view description.

White 17 is a late Mig-21 SM and it is very close in details to a Mig-21 MF.

Studio 

21042809312924262417392919.jpg

21042809312824262417392918.jpg

Daylight

21050310153124262417399912.jpg

21050310153524262417399914.jpg

21050310153224262417399913.jpg

21050310152924262417399911.jpg

Eric B.

• Like 72
  • Thanks 1

Oh my!!!!!  This is one very impressive Fishbed and it`s complimented nicely with the equally impressive Fulcrum.  The complex paint schemes make for one stunning and attractive subject.  Eduard Fishbed`s are the perfect canvas for presentations such as this. :goodjob: 

Mike

Hello, 

Thank you dearly all for your kind words..

@ Mike, you are right... The Eduard kit is a very nice kit. Long time I had not built a kit with no aftermarket resin or photo-etched parts. 

@ Kenny : tow bar actually is my only equipment - it comes along the Mig-29 in the Trumpeter box - no aftermarket here...

@ Albert : thank you about photography - why I like to shoot in daylight. 

Cheers

Eric B.

Thank you, 

The complex camo was the reason of the choice.

I have more Eduards Mig-21to build - this one being the first try on them; There are plenty of other interesting liveries to contemplate.🤔

Daylight photograph normally is the end mark of a building project for me.

Cheers

Eric B.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:01 AM, BerndM said:

Excellent work and very convincing presented.

This goes for the MiG-29 as well.

Thank you, 

Reminds me I still have to present the Mig-29 here... 

Cheers

• Like 1

17 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wow!

The photos suggest a real MiG... just that photos back then we're not that good :D

Thank you really, 

Turned back time here - 2021 photograph of a 1985 aircraft 😁 - Something's wrong..

Cheers 

Eric B.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

This is a short addition on colours mixes :

All paint from the  Gunze/Tamiya ranges.

* Light green H312 + H303
* Sand : H72 + H11 
* Dark brown : H304 + H84 +XF1 
* Undersurfaces light blue : H67 + H11 
* Middle green : H304 
* Dark green (repair work?) : H26 +XF1 + XF5 + H302

Regards 

Eric B.

• Like 1

Hello 109,

I am Sorry I did not record paint mixes.

Except I know for white (H11) colour I know it was between 10% - 20% white on 90% - 80% main color.

For other colours it was more like eye guestimate due to the colours being close I guessed a variation in mix ratio would not show that much. Ii is more a matter of balance between different camo colours (I personally built up painting in different phases and different mixes...)

Cheers

Eric B.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:23 AM, Eric B. said:

I could not find any photo.

This is an exceptional build Eric, I wonder how long before some of your daylight photos make it onto the net as "photos of the real thing". it looks that good

:)

Steve.

• 2 years later...