1/72 Airfix Spitfire 22 -£6.75 from Boyes

I would like to go with the Airfix Spitfire 22.

spit 22 b

I have had the kit for a while, so now seems a good idea (I am not sure why it has not been re-released by Airfix). Its a hopefully not difficult kit to make and I think that I made the above silver version about 6 plus years ago.  I gave the finished model to someone at work and watched over the weeks as bits gradually got broken off and lost in his office!  

Spit 22

I just realised that @PlaStix made this kit for the Spitfire GB last year so I will be trying to lift his ideas.  I won't be going down the etch route having seen the work done by PaStix - I cannot get that good level of finished work (a tiny folded etch seat -!!).  That said I think I have a spare instrument panel and maybe a resin seat and some Eduard spares along with a Xtradecals set.

• Like 7

Hi OH and welcome to the GB. I'm quite envious of you building this. I had a most enjoyable time making mine. I hope you enjoy your build too.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cool. Which branch of Boyes do you go to? Mine stocks paints, tools etc. and all that Warhammer rammel but not Airfix kits.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2021 at 21:25, TonyOD said:

Cool. Which branch of Boyes do you go to? Mine stocks paints, tools etc. and all that Warhammer rammel but not Airfix kits.

Unfortunately I got this sometime ago when they were clearing out their model section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Slight update

I am also trying to do a 'side -build' of an AZ/ Freightdog Spitfire 18, so progress has been artificially slow.  So all that has happened is some cockpit work and sticking the wings together, thus:

IMG_3653

The cockpit lacked the undercarriage lever setup (strange as the other Airfix 1/72 Spitfire kits have that detail), so i did some plastic scratch for that and did the O2 tubing (as most 1/72 kits lack), which is visible.   I put in some slightly made up basic detail to fill up the side walls.  The seat was replaced by one out of the spares box (for a Spitfire early Mk1 - but no one will know) and an unused Sutton harness from a Sword Vc kit I recently built.   I also used an etch instrument panel I had for a Spitfire 22, but it didn't really have any form of wow factor.  Spitfire cockpits in 1/72 are hard to see when buttoned up.  That's the extent of any simple added extras

Next is to glue the fuselage together and attach the wings.  technical stuff!

• Like 4

On 24/05/2021 at 16:20, Adam Poultney said:

Oooo I should be getting a couple of these soon; looks like a nice kit, can't wait to see your build

Thanks Adam, It seems a good kit, but for some reason Airfix have not done a re-release.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To tell you the truth, I had forgotten all about this!

I opened up an Airfix Spitfire 22 kit box yesterday to have a look and thought: 'Ah yes, I was building this'.  I was side tracked trying to build an AZ Spitfire 18 (which has now been sidelined) at the same time, and when that got put aside, so was the Airfix kit.

I have now dug it out and applied paint.

IMG_3658

Using Vallejo MSG.  and then used Vallejo Ocean Grey.

spit 2

RAD-V is the aircraft that I am looking to build the kit as.

Next was to mask off for the Tamiya Dark Green.

IMG_3664

Now back on track, if late.

As an aside I went to the Newark Air Museum Aeroboot which was a nice trip out with a lot of old aircraft instruments, along with a Merlin for sale (from a Halifax?) and the offer of a Puma fuselage carcass!  Sadly there were no irresistible kits to buy, but I did get some detail photos of their Tigermoth for a future Airfix build.

• Like 3