Wingnut Wings AEG G.IV (late)

This monster took me the best part of a year to finish.  I fell a little bit out of love with WNW on this one as I struggled with the decals which were hard to get to stay down on convex surfaces and turned very brittle even after finishing with matt varnish.  Also an aileron vanished into thin air from my table so I had to scratch a replacement which was a first for me.  However as with all WNW kits the level of detail, quality and fit is fantastic with the engines’ models in their own right, although I struggled to get a nice rusty matt finish on the exhausts despite using AK pigments.  Anyhow on with the pics, constructive criticism gratefully received!

51183027181_3e3d2a73eb_b.jpg

51154070617_193590c580_b.jpg

51147008886_6624c17483_b.jpg

51155511589_eea2e29272_b.jpg

51147683419_6467256da4_b.jpg

51147664509_c6a3ccb9f6_b.jpg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 4

Everything about that is outstanding, the props, the leather seats, the engines, especially the engines. What an amazing work of art.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Very nice work on this AEG... I've not long finished this kit as well.  I got the 'early' variant but finished it as a 'late' version using the kit pieces.  I had to buy alternative sheets of lozenge transfers as the WnW markings are the larger, chunkier lozenges. 

I agree that the engines are models in their own right.  I did find the rigging between the fuselage and engine nacelles to be extremely fiddly, although very eye-catching when everything is complete.

You've done well with this kit, especially as it is time-consuming, but the end result is excellent.  Well done... :-).

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, theskits62 said:

One of my favourite WW1 aircraft - what a fantastic job. I have one but haven't quite plucked up courage to tackle it yet

I would really encourage you, it’s not hard, just time consuming, and maybe the decals will behave better for you, or you can get some aftermarket ones.

7 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Very nice, I am part way through this beast myself. I hope it looks as good as yours.

I hope you put some pics up when it’s done!

12 hours ago, Viking said:

Everything about that is outstanding, the props, the leather seats, the engines, especially the engines. What an amazing work of art.

Cheers

John

Thank you, I’m a big fan of your Albatross.  You're right, every sub-assembly is a model in its own right.

Can't see anything wrong with this - looks superb.

Decals supplied in their earlier releases were good.  For some reason, though the later releases  started to suffer on the decal front.  

Regards

Dave

• Like 1