Hasegawa 1/48th TA-4J (OA-4M) Skyhawk

I've had a bit of a lull in the production line lately but managed to get this one across the line today for our very own Skyhawk Group Build. It's the TA-4J Skyhawk kit converted to an OA-4M using the following:

Steel Beach - OA-4M Conversion Set

Quickboost - A-4 Ejection Seats

Reskit - Skyhawk Wheels

Eduard Brassin - LAU-10/ A Zuni Rocket Pods

Furball Aero - Low Viz Devil Dog Scooters.

I took care of one of the kit errors by lifting the front flap area up to be level with the top of the wing. I also replaced the pitot tube with a pin and some tube to make it a bit sharper than the plastic one. Painting was done using Hataka paints which sprayed great but the green really isn't even close to the colour of the decals, which is disappointing. I'm certain the paint is several shades lighter than FS34095 but equally the decals look a lot greener too. Either way it's what it is and I couldn't motivate myself to repaint it. All glossed with Future and then matted down again with Xtracrylix Matt Varnish. A bit of dirt came from Flory Models Dark Dirt and some AK Interactive Landing Gear Wash. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out but still niggled by things that could've made it better.

hPBSbMl.jpg?1

5N66c3q.jpg?1

Uz2fUrL.jpg?1

ciF4tkG.jpg?1

urjQ8dB.jpg?1

ALrVxQ6.jpg?1

aDrmtcb.jpg?1

wBHMytE.jpg?1

IfFZm3U.jpg?1

WunjlwE.jpg?1

c6fhBa7.jpg?1

G3olEtR.jpg?1

soW0o6R.jpg?1

Aa2EvNS.jpg?1

As usual, comment and critique welcomed

Thanks for looking

Pete

Edited by Peter W
  • Like 58
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Peter W said:

I've had a bit of a lull in the production line lately but managed to get this one across the line today for our very own Skyhawk Group Build. It's the TA-4J Skyhawk kit converted to an OA-4M using the following:

Steel Beach - OA-4M Conversion Set

Quickboost - A-4 Ejection Seats

Reskit - Skyhawk Wheels

Eduard Brassin - LAU-10/ A Zuni Rocket Pods

Furball Aero - Low Viz Devil Dog Scooters.

I took care of one of the kit errors by lifting the front flap area up to be level with the top of the wing. I also replaced the pitot tube with a pin and some tube to make it a bit sharper than the plastic one. Painting was done using Hataka paints which sprayed great but the green really isn't even close to the colour of the decals, which is disappointing. I'm certain the paint is several shades lighter than FS34095 but equally the decals look a lot greener too. Either way it's what it is and I couldn't motivate myself to repaint it. All glossed with Future and then matted down again with Xtracrylix Matt Varnish. A bit of dirt came from Flory Models Dark Dirt and some AK Interactive Landing Gear Wash. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out but still niggled by things that could've made it better.

hPBSbMl.jpg?1

5N66c3q.jpg?1

Uz2fUrL.jpg?1

ciF4tkG.jpg?1

urjQ8dB.jpg?1

ALrVxQ6.jpg?1

aDrmtcb.jpg?1

wBHMytE.jpg?1

IfFZm3U.jpg?1

WunjlwE.jpg?1

c6fhBa7.jpg?1

G3olEtR.jpg?1

soW0o6R.jpg?1

Aa2EvNS.jpg?1

As usual, comment and critique welcomed

Thanks for looking

Pete

Great scheme!  I think you got it right.  The USMC often used markings that did not match the camo or low vis paint scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

looks great to me!

were these used ad aggressors? 

Hi exdraken - no these were only used as forward air controllers and wore several schemes during their service. I know what you mean though because it does look like an aggressor scheme.

38 minutes ago, supersonic said:

That's a damn fine looking Skyhawk, Top Notch paint job!

Did you use paint masks or how did you achieve that pattern?

Hi supersonic - I used white-tac to mask the pattern, as shown on the furball decal sheet. 

• Thanks 1

Superb work mate, been watching your group build thread and enjoyed seeing this one come together. That scheme must have been an absolute headache to mask to match the decal demarcations but well  worth it, that and the twin seat configuration really suits her! Love the asymmetrical rocket pods too :)

Edited by stoohoo
  • Like 1