Westland Scout rotor blade colours?

Pat C

Pat when I made mine I only found dark green uppers and black below

My Wasp had grey blades though

Scoutinga-930-008.jpg

P1120735.jpg

These tallied with all the research photos I could find, hope that helps

• Like 2

Ah yes now you mention it I was looking at Wasp pictures and assuming the Scout would have the same colour blades- I took some good pics of the Scout rotor head when I visited Middle Wallop last year but can’t make out the blade colour due to the poor light 🙄

Pat 

• Like 1

I’ve had a look at the HAAF Scouts this morning and as Perdu says above. Blade lower surface is black. The upper surface is green (same shade as the camo). The leading edge of the blades are a very dark brown probably an inch in depth which looks like erosion rather than a protective strip aka Gazelle. There is a fine line (cream) of sealant around the 3 sides of the trim tab. The rotor head and mast are all green. 

anything else drop me a line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks @speedy

I took this pic last year and reckoned the rotor mast and blade arms were dark grey (compare to the camo green) but again the light isn't great in TAFM. You reckon it's more of a green colour?

51191581026_ab64892b25_b.jpg

52 minutes ago, Pat C said:

Many thanks @speedy

I took this pic last year and reckoned the rotor mast and blade arms were dark grey (compare to the camo green) but again the light isn't great in TAFM. You reckon it's more of a green colour?

51191581026_ab64892b25_b.jpg

I’ll double check again tomorrow. They’ve got 2 in at the mo so will look at both.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

My take would be on the rotor-head and transmission casings being Dark Admiralty Grey.

That was exactly my thought - but I can see how that could look green in that light.

It is green in the majority of the Scout pictures in my research archive but that one does look a bit of the dark grey side, was it an airframe that had been painted in the later grey/green scheme I wonder?

• Like 1

I have a load of shots of Scout rotor transmissions and some do look very dark grey but mostly like these
westland-scout-ah1-xt626-25-of-54.jpg

Green and grey here

Green and dark earth here
20160903-112709.jpg

And this one was green and black I recall

635-14.jpg

Not any use for the shaft and gear but it looks as if they got an overall splash of colour after main servicing happened and this one does look like a dark grey.

• Like 1

I had a second look today and both look dark green. So based on the above you can’t really be wrong.....

• Like 2