He111Z1 Zwilling

Ratch

About to start this build and looking at Italeri's colour call-outs. Now I know that manufacturers put in the paints from their own range that they deem suitable, but Italeri callouts have always struck me as being wide of the mark. They are saying Model Master 1591 Olive Green & 1764 European Green for the upper splinter with 1728 Light Ghost Grey under surfaces. I reckon RLM 70/71/65 (winter 1943, Russia) would be more appropriate, or do Italeri know something I don't?

Info/views/comments always welcome.

• Like 1

I think at this stage that the cockpit would have been RLM66 with the rest of the interior including wheel wells etc. painted RLM02.

This is the advice I've previously received via the forum  regarding the H-8 of mid-1941 period that I'm looking to build, after my Do217E.

Regards

Colin.

Ps. some later bombers had the splinter colours in RLM72 & 73 (maritime scheme) but 70/71 sounds right to me for this one

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought RLM66 was introduced in late 1943 :hmmm: With the Zwillings being built earlier wouldn't they have 02 interiors or would they have been repainted?

4 hours ago, Ratch said:

I reckon RLM 70/71/65 (winter 1943, Russia)

Agreed, on the basis that the only operational use of the Me 321 was on the Ostfront.

• Thanks 1

My understanding is that RLM66 for cockpit interiors was introduced much earlier than 1943, indeed some Bf109E's in the BoB began to feature this colour in the autumn of 1940 and I assume it would have been applied across all types as well. Always dangerous to assume I know without a definitive reference source but as I say the previous advice from this forum confirmed the use of RLM66 in Heinkel He111's in 1941 so this is what I will be using for my 1941 period H-8 conversion.

As for later bombers I did indeed refer to D0217's that were also employed in a maritime role at some point for mine laying and the like but were also employed in conventional bombing ops, such as the Do217E4 from 5/KG2 that attempted to bomb the Rover factory in Solihull in July 1942 almost hitting my late mom in the process.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

I think at this stage that the cockpit would have been RLM66 with the rest of the interior including wheel wells etc. painted RLM02.

That's what I was thinking, as well..

Mike

• Thanks 1

Just a final thought on this.

I've also ordered some Dunkelgrau/RLM74 to try instead of RLM66 simply because it is a slightly lighter shade and may achieve a better scale effect so I'll see how it goes when it arrives from Sovereign.

Regards

Colin.

I only ever use enamels so stick with Colourcoats as IMHO they are the best available but have heard good things about Vallejo and have quite a few that have been bought for me so I'll probably get around to using them properly at some point. To date I've just used them for painting interior details and for silver/aluminium parts such as oleos and found they brush on really well and then don't need a varnish before applying an oil wash.

Look forward to seeing the Zwilling in due course in all its glory as I'm sure it will give me extra incentive to get my H-8 done at some point this year as well.

Regards

Colin.

19 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Look forward to seeing the Zwilling in due course in all its glory as I'm sure it will give me extra incentive to get my H-8 done at some point this year as well.

Just to whet your appetite Colin...

51187755818_f631922342_z.jpg

• Like 2

That's an impressive and very quick start!

I'm now getting itchy fingers re' my H-8 project but I must try and stay focused on the Do217E first to avoid rushing it, but please keep me/us all updated on progress as it looks as if it will be a really eye catching model when finished.

Regards

Colin.

• Thanks 1