1:35 Manned Mech Walker

Is it going into combat or just a work vehicle?

I suppose a work vehicle could just about any colour.

Safety first! Hi vis maybe.

A converted machine might have camo sloshed over its original paint job.

Nice thing about making it up as you go along is that ain't no one got room to argue about it being wrong!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've entered the home stretch on this one. I got everything in primer and ready for paint. Unfortunately, the primer went down a bit heavier than I intended and softened some of the finer details...oh well. A small spray can of Tamiya or Mr. Surfacer is quite expensive around here (and usually out of stock), so I sometimes get by with grey primer from the hardware store. This is a case where I regret that decision a bit. Maybe switching to the Mr. Surfacer for airbrush would be a better way to go. The problem is, my wife is very sensitive to solvent vapors, so I'd have to move the compressor outside for that. 

spacer.png

The primer revealed that the upper arm armour needed a bit of work, so I sanded it back and attached these wrap-around plastic card bits to enclose the mechanics.

spacer.png

After all the fretting over a color scheme, I just went with a simple grey green with some yellow markings. The green is a mix of hellblau and hellgrün acrylics from Mission Model Paint.

spacer.png

For this model, I tried painting the chips with a brush for the first time (rather than my usual go-to hairspray method). I'm a bit crap at it, so it looks cartoonish to my eyes, but I think the further weathering steps will tone it down a bit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

These calipers made a very convenient handle for this during painting. 

spacer.png

I'm getting close to finishing. A bit more weathering, then assembly. I imagine that final assembly will be difficult because the limb connections are just ball joints. I will have to rig a way to hold the parts in position while the glue sets up. 

Also the figure needs to be painted, so I expect I'll be watching some figure painting videos on Youtube  in the near future.

Thanks again for any interest.

P.

Edited by Photon
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...