1/48 Airfix Bf109E-4, a bargain I just couldn't say no to - FINISHED

On 5/25/2021 at 2:59 PM, jackroadkill said:

As you'll be able to tell, I used the blue tack method here and still need to wipe away the oils it leaves behind.  

I switched to White Tack as it claims to be non greasy.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

I switched to White Tack as it claims to be non greasy.

Pete

I've been saying "I must get some white tack" to myself since I bough my airbrushing rig in January!  One day soon I might actually get around to it.  Hey ho...!

The new nozzle arrived today so the airbrush is back in action.  With that in mind I've masked off areas which will be painted yellow and also with the intention of sorting that pesky overspray.  Hopefully I'll get some paint on it tomorrow.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 27/05/2021 at 21:37, jackroadkill said:

The new nozzle arrived today so the airbrush is back in action.  With that in mind I've masked off areas which will be painted yellow and also with the intention of sorting that pesky overspray.  Hopefully I'll get some paint on it tomorrow.

spacer.png

The observant amongst us will have noticed that I wrote "Bf109 STGB" on the starboard wing.  Why I did this I couldn't say, as this is patently not that GB....  Anyway, I fixed the overspray and got the yellow on tonight, so hopefully I can crack on a bit over the weekend.  I've learned my lesson with this kit and will not be affixing the undercarriage until the very last moment, but other than that the majority of the kit is done.

I managed to make a small amount of progress this afternoon, despite being at a bit of a bottleneck, painting-wise.  She's not far off ready for a clear coat but I still need to attach the cowling, build the undercarriage (but not fit it; I learned from my mistakes the last time I built this kit and will only fit it right at the end of the build  along with the finicky bits like aerials and mass balances.  The spinner and backing plate need painting a dark green (RLM 82?) and the prop needs mounting using the brass rod and tube method.  Other than that she's not looking too bad.

spacer.png

• Like 7

21 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

The spinner and backing plate need painting a dark green (RLM 82?) and the prop needs mounting using the brass rod and tube method.  Other than that she's not looking too bad.

Was that dark green not RLM 70??  (I thought RLM 82 was later in the war).

Lovely camo job.  👍

Philip

8 hours ago, Prenton said:

Was that dark green not RLM 70??  (I thought RLM 82 was later in the war).

Lovely camo job.  👍

Philip

It could well be - in my above post I was being lazy and not checking my references, just hazarding a guess.  In fact, I'll check now.

Yup, 70 it is!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Very slow progress due to working on the farm this week.  It was the year's first cut of silage, which on a dairy farm is the busiest week of the year.  What I did mostly involved a lot of this:

spacer.png

There wasn't much time left to work on the Emil, and when there was I was too knackered to even think about it.

Even so, this morning I managed to get the main decals on.  The Almark decals I had for the build are a bit temperamental; they're very thin and very soft, so when you get them right they look brilliant but they can be a real swine when you leave them too long in the water, or try to move them off the backing too soon, for example.  Either way the model now looks like this:

spacer.png

I haven't needed to put any Micro Sol on the decals at all - one of the benefits of them being so thin and sticky is that they self-conform.  This can be seen especially well on the starboard wing's Balkankreutz.

Next job is the stencilling; I haven't decided yet whether to use the Allmark decals or the kit's own for this yet, but I want to do them tonight if possible so a decision is imminent.

Thanks,

JRK

• Like 7

Tonight I finished the Emil (something of a speed-build going by my standards).  I'll post it in the gallery but in the meantime here are some other ones I took.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've really enjoyed this build - I like the kit, dodgy cannon inserts and skinny prop notwithstanding, and am particularly chuffed to have managed to build and decal it for Less Than A Tenner.  I've a real soft spot for the 109, but as we're all familiar with Schoepfel's aircraft I won't bore anyone with the details here.  Thanks to everyone who's read this thread and to our hosts for organising and running the GB.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 6

• jackroadkill changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Bf109E-4, a bargain I just couldn't say no to - FINISHED
2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

A fantastic result, you really have done a brilliant job on this kit with some great painting and nice weathering.

It really is a satisfying feeling to have completed a model on such a budget isn't it, makes a very refreshing change.

Very well done.

Thanks Craig,

Yes, it's very satisfying indeed to have pulled the rabbit out of the hat reasonably successfully and also for very little outlay.  It makes me wonder why I have so many much dearer kits in my stash!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

That really is a superb looking 109. Your build, paintwork and finish are all very impressive!! Very well done.  :worthy:

Thank you for building it in this GB.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you for building it in this GB.

Thanks for hosting it, sir.  If I can get my Beaufighter finished (okay, started and then finished....) in time I'll do the IJAAF version for this GB, too.

• Like 1