Airfix BF109E-4 (1/72) and hurricane MK1 (1/144)

I managed to pick up a bf109e-4 from Bill's hobbies yesterday in Coleraine for 6.99. Hope to start soon but will have to clear the bench of projects at the moment, such as a big build diorama with 3 tanks, one plane and about 20 odd figures...so will defo need the four months dead line. But looking forwards to this and interested to learn how to do the cloud camo/make the camo look air brushed with a hairy stick! Without this GB I wouldn't have even picked up this but really glad it honed me into it!

IMG_20210515_164743

Not totally sure of the composition as of yet, if I'll do as on the ground with wheels down and a bit of conversion..uhmm butchering as I call it! Or if it will be in dog fight. 

Edited by Muchmirth
Title change
  • Like 6

Hi Muchmirth. Welcome to the GB and with what, looks to be, a really good choice of kit. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to add this lil mini (never done a 1/144 before but hey ho) Found this on ebay for 3.00 (postage was £2.80) so I still come in under the tenner with the bf109 being £6.99 and the hurc for 3.00 at a total of 9.99!!! Well chuffed with that as I have a good idea now. 

Screenshot_20210521-111304

Mind you I'm still in position to build either yet...so have to finish my il-2 (including rockets and machine gun fire effects and one pilot and gunner,) Then I can begin...hopefully in two weeks or less.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Finally got here!!!

I got started about two days ago and have a few pics below. Note: I do have the strangest model making painting regime known. So yes their is a lot of painted on the sprue parts etc: 

P1020255 P1020256

I'm not sure with the pilot if this is the actual colours, I kinda went off piste with this!

P1020261

P1020262

P1020263

You may notice the pre-shading over the top of the first coat of light blue. Its not very neat and like rough ad ready so not every happy with this but figure quite a lot will be covered up with the next two coats. 

P1020269

P1020268

P1020266

Its a start for now. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Muchmirth said:

Its a start for now. 

That's not just a start, it's a great start. I am looking forward to seeing what you have planned with the Hurricane too.

Best of luck with your builds.

John

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

That's not just a start, it's a great start. I am looking forward to seeing what you have planned with the Hurricane too.

Best of luck with your builds.

John

Thank John, much appreciated comments!!

Well belting along now...further update tonight. 

Wings on: with a little filler in a tiny gap at the back joint of the wings to fuselage. 

P1020272

Bit of a mare with the rear fixed wheel: It went on fine and then I noticed a tiny bit of flash which I hasn't removed before. So I took it back out and went to cut it out and my hand slipped and cut a chunk out instead, so no I've re-fit with the wheel facing right down to the fuselage, where the cut is, to try and hide it. It doesn't look right but hey ho couldn't really avoid this one.

P1020273

Next flaps attached to the wings:

P1020274

P1020275 P1020276

Going to straighten that left hand side machine gun, noticed through the pic it looks bent.

I painted the canopy: I do this free hand, maybe I should mask it off, now I have the right tape but doesn't look to bad in 'real life' yet not as great in the pics. Odd but their we are. 

P1020278

Enjoying the build. So tomorrow I do whole coats of the plane maybe one or two depending on time and then gloss coat the whole canopy, the Vallejo gloss varnish does great for the these. 

Thanks for all kind comments added so far!

• Like 3

It’s looking very nice so far.

A cocktail stick with a nice sharp point can do wonders to clean up canopy framing.

If you are brushing a mottle camo pattern, cut an old brush down to around 3/16 inch and then dip in paint, wipe 95% of it off and stab the brush on the model to build up the stippled areas. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Hey Adrian, thanks for the tip, genius idea...I was wondering how you do that. I'll give this a go for the mottle camo.

Thanks

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s looking very nice so far.

A cocktail stick with a nice sharp point can do wonders to clean up canopy framing.

If you are brushing a mottle camo pattern, cut an old brush down to around 3/16 inch and then dip in paint, wipe 95% of it off and stab the brush on the model to build up the stippled areas. 

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by Muchmirth
Spelling

Next update:

As I placed the grill in the chin rad too far back I was going to replace this with a spare piece of grill I had knocked up but it didn't work out, I tired but wouldn't fit right. 

Also couldn't get the paint off the middle section of the canopy as was all sealed in now with gloss (after a a bit of  smarten up with a cocktail stick), as this section is showing as frame in the picture on the back of the box but then I learnt it wasn't actually frame but just where the glass over lapped where it could open.

On the bf109 I have done the basic colours, all humbrol acrylic: I'm not totally happy with my painting as it too thick in parts. I also did a bit of a re-scribe as a result of the thickness of the paint. 

P1020282

P1020281

P1020289

P1020290

P1020291

Next for the bit I was most looking forwards to: The mottle camo!!!! For this next 'instalment'  I'm going to do bit of an experiment. I've gloss varnished the whole model in prep and will trial Adrian's suggestion of using the short brush on a piece of paper, building up the stippling with thin paint and also will trial a picked out sponge on the end of a pair of tweezers on the same page, side by side to see what works,.

Then the best outcome will go on the plane. 

Thanks all.

Edited by Muchmirth
Additions to post.
  • Like 3

So the experiment is below: Now it might be a bit lame and not exactly scientific but the result below is fairly similar to each other, so I tried both on the plane: The sponge is a little more cloudy, so I used this first to make a sort of 'spray paint' background whilst the bristles are more defined and pick out the squiggly lines. 

And this is the first light application on the bird:

P1020292

P1020294

Here is the otherside: sorry neither a great pic at mo.

P1020296

I have revisited this camo effect about five times, probably more in all honesty, retouched parts maybe as many as seven ore even eight times, I didn't keep an accurate account. It was very hard to make look half way decent as a lot of you may already know. I'm glad I glossed first, so that it wouldn't effect the base coats and helped the thinned paint spread/blotch out better. A lot of this was trial and error but that I knew prior. A lot was also putting it on and then removing but now its as point I'm happy with and looks...passable maybe. 

I hope to have finished in a few more days, further gloss coat, decals, matt gloss, canopy and prop stuck on and finally aerial.

Then onto the hurc!!

Thanks all.

Best for now

Paul

• Like 6

Now its time to switch to the Hurc. I must admit (epecially to John aka Nimrod) that I would never have looked side ways at a 1/144 model before this GB but I must say...I really reallty like them! What a pleasure to build....Done the way I should have done the Messerschmitt. The plastic on the revell kits is quite a lot nicer than the larger airfix model. Anyway progress below...

P1020312

Bit rough in patches but this will magically disappear next once I smooth the filler from the gaps.

P1020313

Below the obligatory pic of the paint pot beside the plane shot, first coat of pale blue on. PS. Love the box instructions, simply say pale blue, dark green and brown. Nice and straightforward like. 

P1020314

• Like 2

Next update, colours and weathering added: All my usual Vallejo acrylic applied with a brush. 

P1020315 P1020316

Then citadel leadblecher for the 'heavy' chipping effect (because I love the stuff). 

P1020319 P1020320

The panels lines and side ribbing have thinned revell anthricite (Thank you Mr Stix)

P1020318

Then I have gone for highlights, done with original three RAF colours, with an added dash of white, dry brushed into centre of surface areas and raised areas. 

P1020321

P1020317

Next gloss, decals, matt varnish, canopy, aerial and...posting to RFI/gallery!

Thanks all!

Edited by Muchmirth
added photo
  • Like 6

• Muchmirth changed the title to Airfix BF109E-4 (1/72) and hurricane MK1 (1/144)

Hi Muchmirth. Fantastic result! I am well impressed by your presentation of your models in the Gallery too!! Great idea. Very well done! :thumbsup:

Thank you for building them in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1