IL2 M3 Sturmovick+++Finished+++

Morning all!

My less than a tenner entry is the Hobbyboss Sturmovick from their easy build range. I picked this up from the closing down sale at my local Toymaster store. Everything was 50% off and the model section had been almost picked clean when i arrived. So this one was available and at around a £5er i couldn't say no. I haven't built many Hobbyboss kits and this one was purchased purely down to the price.

As you will see from the photos theres not many parts. The wings and fuselage are ready assembled but theres a reasonable bit of cockpit to be added and some underwing cannon and rockets. Hopefully i can reignite some of the enthusiasm thats been lacking of late with this very simple build. Lets hope the fit is reasonable, i think these are intended as snap together but i will be splashing on liquid poly as required.

Some photos for your perusal......

TFL, Cheers Greg

51182359053_faf348ee89_z.jpg

51182927099_97274aa648_z.jpg

51183226900_6ed8ddbde7_z.jpg

51182143621_5087757115_z.jpg

51181455682_6f57ba884e_z.jpg

• Like 11

• GREG DESTEC changed the title to IL2 M3 Sturmovick

Looks good in the box especially at that price. I recently got a 'warehouse' Tu-2 for a tenner from Amazon, the only thing wrong with it was the lower box had water damage. Lovely detail, just needs the front glazed section and rear gunner position opened up and detailed.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Davey.

• Like 1

Hi Greg. Welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. Great choice of kit too. I'm looking forward to following your build of it. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Nice choice.

I do like these Hobbyboss easy kits. I have built a number when I need a mojo refresh.

Always impressed with the way they are packed.

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Looks good in the box especially at that price. I recently got a 'warehouse' Tu-2 for a tenner from Amazon, the only thing wrong with it was the lower box had water damage. Lovely detail, just needs the front glazed section and rear gunner position opened up and detailed.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Davey.

36 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. Great choice of kit too. I'm looking forward to following your build of it. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the welcome and your interest in my build. 

I've begun building up the cockpit, which is very concise. Test fitting the fuselage to the wing/tail assembly shows a bit of warping at the lower fuselage and stabilisers. Hopefully this will be resolved with a solid join between the main components. Cheers

Greg 🍺

• Like 1

Evening all!

This one is progressing at a rate of knots without too much effort, it has to be said. As you can see from the sprues theres not a lot of bits, but the ones that are there are pretty good. 

It didn't take long to get the main airframe together albeit that i needed abit of filler a t the wing roots, which was no big deal. The undercart pods did not fit per the instructions and i had to file a couple of slots in each to get them to pass over the landing gear. 

This allowed me to progress to the painting stage, and with a simple scheme i am almost ready to do the transfers. Hobbyboss markings have been iffy in my experience so fingers crossed them behave.

I should have this one in the bag by the weekend.

TFL Cheers Greg....

51191725551_a09b27d428_z.jpg

51191940208_8ec5a97c90_z.jpg

51191725501_95810d24b6_z.jpg

51192791965_68f806e146_z.jpg

51191725481_98a707b2e2_z.jpg

51191016677_07db9d6911_z.jpg

51192496789_f389601936_z.jpg

51191016567_e8f30fdb69_z.jpg

51192496744_22317d96e6_z.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Greg. I hope this Saturday finds you well. Looks like you have been making fantastic progress and it's looking excellent in it's paintwork! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. I hope this Saturday finds you well. Looks like you have been making fantastic progress and it's looking excellent in it's paintwork! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix 👍

hopefully it will be in the gallery tomorrow. I'll look and see what else I have that's suitable for the GB given there's loads of time left.

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

Well folks its finito benito!

I have to say i enjoyed this little kit, it was a nice relaxing build. The end result looks like a Sturmovick to me, and the paint scheme was not too challenging.

Photos in the gallery now, and heres one or two more for good measure.

Thanks for chumming me along, i'm going to start a new thread now for my next build, which may be a bit more challenging given its "vintage"

TFL Cheers Greg

51198574505_183a0262bb_z.jpg

51198574715_e5ce271e1a_z.jpg

51196798042_e85b511bc5_z.jpg

• Like 11

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That turned out brilliantly Greg.

I am by no means an expert on the Il-2 but that certainly looks like one to me.

I like the camouflage scheme too.

Very well done.

Cheers Craig 👍

Yes, I'm no expert on Russian aircraft in general 😉 I bought this kit purely as it was on sale. I like the colours on it too, something a bit different on the shelf. 

All the best Greg 🍺

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking great. :thumbsup: … I really want to do a Polish one of these now. 

Hi Dennis, and thanks for the feedback. A Polish version would look great, I think the old Airfix kits came with that option.Cheers

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

Hi Greg. Wow!! Third in the Gallery after only just over a week, and with an absolutly supurb build too!! Your paintwork looks amazing and the decals set it off beautifully! Very impressive modelling! :thumbsup: 

Thank you very much for building it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Wow!! Third in the Gallery after only just over a week, and with an absolutly supurb build too!! Your paintwork looks amazing and the decals set it off beautifully! Very impressive modelling! :thumbsup: 

Thank you very much for building it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix for the kind comments and hosting the GB. This build has been a mojo booster for sure, and the other entries are inspiring. 

I've started my second build and am looking forward to following many of the others.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

That's a great result! I've always discounted these "easy build" kits because somehow I thought they were "toys" or beneath my level of skill (hahahaha) but it looks like I should be taking them a bit more seriously.

• Thanks 1