Best Mini Chisels

Tomjw

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for mini chisels? The main ones I need are flat and a minimim of 3mm width.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Afternoon Tom, @Tomjw just a suggestion, have you had a look at Swann Morton? They do a range of flat, narrow, chisel type blades. If you need something more substantial, have a look here:- https://www.hobbies.co.uk/veritas-3-piece-miniature-chisel-set

See ya next Saturday!

• Like 1

I've had excellent results with the Mission Models 2mm micro-chisel. Comes with multiple blades -- though the first one is still going strong 3+ years on.

Only difficulty I had was with the tiny set screw that holds the blade in...wouldn't stay tight...so I tacked it in place with a micro-drop of CA (easily 'reversible'), and haven' t had a problem since.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Afternoon Tom, @Tomjw just a suggestion, have you had a look at Swann Morton? They do a range of flat, narrow, chisel type blades. If you need something more substantial, have a look here:- https://www.hobbies.co.uk/veritas-3-piece-miniature-chisel-set

See ya next Saturday!

Excellent, thanks Paul. I'll have a look and let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Tom

• 2 months later...

Late to the show I know but maybe worth a look, https://www.micromark.com/Premier-Elite-10-Piece-Micro-Chisel-Set

At first sight they seem expensive but you get 10 chisels in all sizes for modelling, made from Stainless steel and exude quality. Shipping is reasonable too and they are on offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Late to the show I know but maybe worth a look, https://www.micromark.com/Premier-Elite-10-Piece-Micro-Chisel-Set

At first sight they seem expensive but you get 10 chisels in all sizes for modelling, made from Stainless steel and exude quality. Shipping is reasonable too and they are on offer.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't purchased yet, so not too late at all. They look really good. I don't mind paying premium prices for tools which will last for years.

Cheers,

Tom

9 hours ago, Tomjw said:

I don't mind paying premium prices for tools which will last for years.

My sentiments too, tools are an investment and good ones are priceless.

I have been looking for years and have tried different types, the Mission type, those that fit in an exacto handle etc but never found a good all rounder, they all have drawbacks.

The Mission type are long and narrow with a smooth shaft, not best for control, plus they seem to be made from steel only.

The Exacto type give a good choice of interchangable blades but you need different handles and they can sometimes slip in the clamping jaw .

The MicroMark set are made from Stainless, have a knurled aluminium body and come in most sizes you would need for modelling and if you break it down they are about £10 per chisel which IMHO is acceptable because you will only pay once.

Good luck with your search.

Gary

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 7:54 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

My sentiments too, tools are an investment and good ones are priceless.

I have been looking for years and have tried different types, the Mission type, those that fit in an exacto handle etc but never found a good all rounder, they all have drawbacks.

The Mission type are long and narrow with a smooth shaft, not best for control, plus they seem to be made from steel only.

The Exacto type give a good choice of interchangable blades but you need different handles and they can sometimes slip in the clamping jaw .

The MicroMark set are made from Stainless, have a knurled aluminium body and come in most sizes you would need for modelling and if you break it down they are about £10 per chisel which IMHO is acceptable because you will only pay once.

Good luck with your search.

Gary

Thanks Gary.  What I need is a good IPMS show to go to...😀

10 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

I have some superb Mineshima ones, they do square, v-shaped, round and flat ones that are super sharp and great quality. Of course, not cheap....

Les

Thanks Les. I'll look those up...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got three of the Trumpeter chisels - they are about £6 each - though I bought mine a few years ago for around £4 each.

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/trumpeter---mastertools-373-c.asp

Caveat, I have not had cause to use them much, and I’m not an experienced modeller, but on the occasions I have used them they have seemed sharp and did what I expected of them.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel for the heads up. I've still not ordered any so I'll look into these further. I always like using Paul's website.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm not impressed with the Trumpeters. I thought that they may be good enough but mine were not all that precise and not sharp enough. I think that a blunt chisel is probably as dangerous as a blunt scalpel blade because of the extra force required. I like the look of the Tamiya chisels, but I may also look for lesthegringo's Mineshima recommendation or the MicroMark set mentioned above.