A Tribute build 1:32 Hawker Tempest V NV-728 "US-X" 56 Punjab Squadron - April 1945. My uncle's aircraft - Sgt P C Brown Update - recently discovered gun camera film of him in action!

9 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Stunning, what history, did ye fly Typhoons?

As far as I know he went straight from Texans in Canada to Tempest Vs at OTU..then Tempest V . Post war he flew Tempest II s. Thanks for the compliment! 

Regards, Andy

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Reg Gibson said:

Great build,  great story , good luck with your search

Thank you Reg. I'm glad you enjoyed this post. You know only too well how emotional a journey this kind of thing is. 

Regards, Andy

What a beautifully finished Tempest.  It was clearly an important journey for you in making it. Thank you for sharing the story with us.  In the Hardback first edition of the Big Show by Pierre Closterman I think there is a photograph of Peter Brown  taking off on a mission.  I don't know whether the picture picture is in any later editions.🙂

Colin

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

What a beautifully finished Tempest.  It was clearly an important journey for you in making it. Thank you for sharing the story with us.  In the Hardback first edition of the Big Show by Pierre Closterman I think there is a photograph of Peter Brown  taking off on a mission.  I don't know whether the picture picture is in any later editions.🙂

Colin

Thank you so much Colin.

I'll have to investigate this further 

I seem to recall PC describes taking off for a sweep in snow and ice and describes having little confidence in one new , young and inexperienced pilot's ability to take off in formation safely.. think he refers to this pilot as 'Brown'. There were no other pilots on the squadron named Brown at that time . seems likely it's my uncle. 

It's a great regret that i never got to talk to uncle as an adult about his service. Wish i could time travel back to 1980 and sit down with him.

Regards, Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, what an absolutely amazing story! My heart sank when I read the bad news early on, but so pleased your Uncle survived the war. That generation were quite amazing, and it is sad that he passed so young despite seeing through the storm.

Your Tempest is exemplary, and the diorama is perfect, just busy enough to bring it all to life. And thank you for giving a name ("Rebecca") to my pain; I am right now seeking something similar for a bubble Spit!

Andy

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Notty said:

Firstly, what an absolutely amazing story! My heart sank when I read the bad news early on, but so pleased your Uncle survived the war. That generation were quite amazing, and it is sad that he passed so young despite seeing through the storm.

Your Tempest is exemplary, and the diorama is perfect, just busy enough to bring it all to life. And thank you for giving a name ("Rebecca") to my pain; I am right now seeking something similar for a bubble Spit!

Andy

Hello again Notty!

Thank you for your compliments on my Diorama and the Tempest. it's Boys Own stuff... his story for sure.. 

I think it is the Rebecca aerial. Though that might also be the short 'pole' that sticks out of the bottom of the fuselage! i did find information somewhere that stated Tempest Vs had Rebecca fitted and used as a RDF tool.   Having done a quick search online i can't find any pictures / articles to support my naming explicitly.. maybe it's a VHF radio 'whip' then? ... but for sure the guitar string method worked an absolute treat for me. 

It was an absolute pleasure to build this model for the personal story behind it. I'm humbled by people's reactions to my modest efforts.

Cheers, Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to A Tribute build 1:32 Hawker Tempest V NV-728 "US-X" 56 Punjab Squadron - April 1945. My uncle's aircraft - Sgt PC Brown today would have been his 99th Birthday!!!
On 16/05/2021 at 00:55, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I know this is an old post but.. amazingly I managed to find some gun-camera film of Uncle Peter in combat on  26th March 1945 on the IWM website

I'm still gob-smacked and have verified and cross referenced my latest discovery against the official sources. 

• Like 1

• Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to A Tribute build 1:32 Hawker Tempest V NV-728 "US-X" 56 Punjab Squadron - April 1945. My uncle's aircraft - Sgt P C Brown Update - recently discovered gun camera film of him in action!