A Tribute build 1:32 Hawker Tempest V NV-728 "US-X" 56 Punjab Squadron - April 1945. My uncle's aircraft - Sgt P C Brown Update - recently discovered gun camera film of him in action!

11 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Brilliant model and I so enjoyed the history behind it!  What a great tribute!   :worthy::clap2:

As I scrolled through your post, the scrapbook pic of the black Hurricane caught my eye.  I thought, hey, that sure looks familiar for some reason.   Then, I remembered, no wonder it seemed familiar:

Hobbycraft Hurricane IIC

Thanks a lot for including that Hurricane photo in your tribute; I'll be keeping that one if you don't object! 😀

Thanks Gary. 

Yes you may keep a copy of the scrapbook Hurricane pic. Must have come from a service magazine? Please feel free to use it for research though not for commercial purposes  and please if you use it elsewhere acknowledge the source. Think that's what should happen.. np! 

The WIP thread has two other Hurricane pics.. Uncle Peter sitting on the Starboard wing root and one of him in the cockpit. 

Thanks for your kind kind words of praise. Much appreciated!

regards, Andy

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Blanketyblank said:

Mklll it is then, and some Hannants burgundy coloured codes as well 

I think that's correct. definitely MkIII Lanc.

You might ask BMs Lanc experts if a 7 Squadron aircraft in Jan 1944 had burgundy Codes  and or black reg numbers? and also if they had any special squadron markings? 

Regards, Andy

36 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Brilliant model and I so enjoyed the history behind it!  What a great tribute!   :worthy::clap2:

As I scrolled through your post, the scrapbook pic of the black Hurricane caught my eye.  I thought, hey, that sure looks familiar for some reason.   Then, I remembered, no wonder it seemed familiar:

Hobbycraft Hurricane IIC

Thanks a lot for including that Hurricane photo in your tribute; I'll be keeping that one if you don't object! 😀

'Tis one and the same ! Gobsmacked even more! Lol.. 😂

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, woody37 said:

An interesting story and sorry he passed away at the young age of 60, he sounds like he was a great bloke. You've produced a superb tribute, I'm sure he would of been proud :)

Thank you for your kind comments Woody. Nice to feel his story has interested and touched people on BM. Uncle Peter was a lovely man. Sad he died so young. He did pack a lot in to his time here though! 

Thanks

Kind Regards, Andy

Just like to say THANKS to everyone who liked and commented on this project. I have been very touched by the impact on and the appreciation of others. The positive comments have made me feel quite humbled at times.

Its not everyday you get this kind of opportunity to tell a simple story of an ordinary man who ended up doing extraordinary things during wartime. It's been an honour and a privilege to tell Uncle Peter's story based on the verified facts. I'll keep his memory alive more so now. UP The Firebirds! Of 56 Squadron...

next project is a P47-D in 1:32 scale.. the Trumpeter kit.. which thoug expensive looks pretty damn good! 

It will be LM-C reg no 226628 based at RAF Halesworth in Suffolk. .. I have a connection to this airfield having a house in Southwold . also the pilot, Frederick Christensen allegedly took his female black cat Called Sinbad, in to the cockpit on missions. I have a girl cat called Zoe who is totally black too! This story amused me no end so I just had to portray this aircraft! Time to start a new WIP I think! 😉😀

Cheers! 

Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 2

Andy, that was an absolute treat to read and see. I enjoyed it immensely. The story is so personal and moving and it’s such a shame your uncle passed so young having gone through what he did.

The model is stunning, and really more so for the human angle. A diorama is an absolute must, even if can’t 3D print a pilot in your uncles image!

Andy

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Notty said:

Andy, that was an absolute treat to read and see. I enjoyed it immensely. The story is so personal and moving and it’s such a shame your uncle passed so young having gone through what he did.

The model is stunning, and really more so for the human angle. A diorama is an absolute must, even if can’t 3D print a pilot in your uncles image!

Andy

Thank you Andy. Glad you liked and enjoyed the build and the pretty amazing backstory. Very pleased you took e time to have a look and your positive comments are much appreciated! I am pleased with the results and proud to be able to have brought Uncle's story to a wider audience. I'm planning a diorama indeed. I may get my nephew to print a 1:32 pilot for me as that's his business 😀

Cheers!

Andy

You've done a fantastic job on that Tempest without a doubt...however I also thoroughly enjoyed the background story about your Uncle. Thank you so very much for sharing this with us. 👏

• Thanks 1

Stumps! Missed the reveal thread, all caught up now :)

Fantastic work Andy, she looks absolutely splendid. 

Thanks for taking us along in your journey of discovery. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Stumps! Missed the reveal thread, all caught up now :)

Fantastic work Andy, she looks absolutely splendid. 

Thanks for taking us along in your journey of discovery. 

Lol . I did think I should send you a PM to let you know! Thanks for your positive comments and appreciation Sat. Glad you could help me at times also with your knowledge and personal connection to Volkel.

Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AeroNautique said:

You've done a fantastic job on that Tempest without a doubt...however I also thoroughly enjoyed the background story about your Uncle. Thank you so very much for sharing this with us. 👏

Thanks Aero! I'm glad you like it and enjoyed the background story.. makes a build a bit more interesting I think. Cheers, Andy

32 minutes ago, occa said:

Wow you are lucky to have this many references, logs and photos about your uncle, this is just so awesome !!!

Thanks . Yes it took a lot of detailed research in archives and a lot of BM members gave me some of the material! 

Just wanted to tell his story and verify it with facts. Glad you liked it! Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

Brilliant tribute. The build took a lot more than you've admitted and it came out looking very fine indeed.

A fitting tribute, built from the heart. Appreciate the very well told story about your uncle and his experiences as well.

Thank you for sharing!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Alan P said:

Brilliant tribute. The build took a lot more than you've admitted and it came out looking very fine indeed.

A fitting tribute, built from the heart. Appreciate the very well told story about your uncle and his experiences as well.

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your appreciation Alan. Yes the WIP was quite long and detailed.. maybe too long! The build was enjoyable and even more so the discussions with other members. I'm indebted to so many people here for suggestions and hard verified evidence. Not a day went by when I didn't think about Uncle Peter. I'm so proud of him as a man and proud that he was my uncle and I could tell hiss story. I'm sure he would have approved. He would have been 98 on the 5th June! It's been my pleasure to share this and I'm humbled by the positive comments everyone has made. 

Cheers! 

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/08/2021 at 12:27, canberra kid said:

@Col Walter E Kurtz, thanks very much for the heads up on this over on my post, an extraordinary tribute, I know how frustrating and tricky but rewording it can be researching these parts of our families histories. You've done a cracking job with out build a truly marvellous tribute, well done! 

John     

Thanks John. Absolutely rewarding and that it's a relative I found it very emotional at times. I was proud to tell his story.  I'm sure your build made you think about your Dad too. I'm humbled when I read about these young guys and what they did. Very few of them left now too. Cheers

Andy 

• Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to NEW Diorama pics added..A Tribute build 1:32 Hawker Tempest V NV-728 "US-X" 56 Punjab Squadron - April 1945. My uncle's aircraft - Sgt PC Brown
3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

How do I get to see it?

John

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see this gorgeous model on the base. Great job 

Chris

IMG_0878

IMG_0879

There you go John. Added the pics as a reply.. hope you can see the pics?

Regards, Andy 

• Like 3