A Tribute build 1:32 Hawker Tempest V NV-728 "US-X" 56 Punjab Squadron - April 1945. My uncle's aircraft - Sgt P C Brown Update - recently discovered gun camera film of him in action!

A really fabulous tribute, sounds like he would approved and been really proud of your work.

really like your weathering, nice and reserved which I feel is right for the aircraft. You have also captured a really nice sheen to the paint that’s hard to achieve.

Rob

• Thanks 1

Lovely build and an even better story. 
My mum’s cousin was a gunner in a 7 sqdn Lancaster that was shot down in January 44 and I would love to build a model of his plane myself. When I do I hope it turns out to be half as good as yours. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

A really fabulous tribute, sounds like he would approved and been really proud of your work.

really like your weathering, nice and reserved which I feel is right for the aircraft. You have also captured a really nice sheen to the paint that’s hard to achieve.

Rob

Rob, Most kind of you Sir! Thank you for your positive comments.

The Hataka Redline paints I find to be really good. I used the RAF Paint Set. Their Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey ,to my eye , look just 'right' for RAF cammo schemes. The cammo green is the Tamiya XF-81 Dark Green 2 RAF which I think is also right. I used Bluetac sausages to delineate the colours doing the ocean grey first then the green. I used this method on two previous RAF models and hope I've mastered it now! I've also found it helps to slip the hataka paint bottles in to my pocket for about 15 Mins before I spray them with lots of vigorous shaking beforehand. Works for me! 

I used Valejo Grey primer underneath and once I had sprayed the colours I brushed on single coat of HG Laminate Protective Coating Gloss Finish. I'd not used this product before. It's designed for Laminate floors of course😂But very happy with the effect on this project so will use this product again I think!

Regards, Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blanketyblank said:

My mum’s cousin was a gunner in a 7 sqdn Lancaster that was shot down in January 44 and I would love to build a model of his plane myself. When I do I hope it turns out to be half as good as yours. 

Thank you blankety for your kind comments about my humble build. I hope you do a tribute Lanc. If you need some help finding out the Aircraft details then PM me with as much as you know about your Mothers cousin. Full name,DOB, service number , rank date of Op on which he was shot down. I can have a look in the national Archives for 7 squadron Operations Record Book and see what we can find out for you! It will be a pleasure to! 

Thanks

Kind Regards, Andy

I had a terrible sinking feeling when I started to read your post but he survived the war. Sad he died aged 60, speaking as a 'youthful' 61 year old myself. 

Being a flyer, without his adventures. I can relate to how recent it all seems despite our age. I cannot imagine how it was in combat. Your uncle was something special. 

We can only imagine how it was. I would walk out to an aeroplane early in the morning conscious that there was so much that could go wrong or I could mess up. But at least no one was trying to kill me. Your uncle had that and the rest. They were heroes but wore that title lightly. 

It's a wonderful tribute. 

• Thanks 1

Andy your Tempest looks splendid, I’m glad you haven’t weathered the living daylights out of her.  Your subtle exhaust and mud staining are pretty spot on for a nearly new but hard-worked aeroplane.

My rendition of the Tempest in which your uncle scored his first (only?) air-to-air victory stalled when I misplaced one of the main undercarriage brackets: unbelievably it reappeared a few days ago in an area where I knew I’d looked for it so, happily, the game is back on.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, noelh said:

I had a terrible sinking feeling when I started to read your post but he survived the war. Sad he died aged 60, speaking as a 'youthful' 61 year old myself. 

Being a flyer, without his adventures. I can relate to how recent it all seems despite our age. I cannot imagine how it was in combat. Your uncle was something special. 

We can only imagine how it was. I would walk out to an aeroplane early in the morning conscious that there was so much that could go wrong or I could mess up. But at least no one was trying to kill me. Your uncle had that and the rest. They were heroes but wore that title lightly. 

It's a wonderful tribute. 

Thank you for your compliments Noel,

im almost your age.! Yes it does feel like very recent history to our generation. I never stop thinking of the absolute bravery my uncle and his service comrades displayed. He was scared out of his wits all the time.. he said as much to my Dad. He was a special man indeed. But I think he would have , like you say, worn the hero title lightly. He did what he had to do , his duty.  That's not to say his opponents were anything less either. Equally heroic. Regards, Andy

29 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Andy your Tempest looks splendid, I’m glad you haven’t weathered the living daylights out of her.  Your subtle exhaust and mud staining are pretty spot on for a nearly new but hard-worked aeroplane.

My rendition of the Tempest in which your uncle scored his first (only?) air-to-air victory stalled when I misplaced one of the main undercarriage brackets: unbelievably it reappeared a few days ago in an area where I knew I’d looked for it so, happily, the game is back on.

Thanks Steve! Glad you concur on the light weathering approach. 

Do tell about your Tempest! 

Yes Uncle Peter flew a sortie as part of an Area Sweep on March 22nd 1945 as Red Four with Fl Gordon Milne as section leader. He was in Tempest NV-970 Squadron Code "US-O" . They encountered 12 Fw 190 Doras of JG25 near Hesepe at 12,000 ft and engaged them. He shot at the enemy at 50 yards away striking hits on the port wing and fuselage. the e/a crashed in to the Dummer See.. lake and the pilot was seen to bail out at 1500 feet.  I have seen the facsimile Combat Report signed by my uncle in the National Archives.. history coming alive! Amazing! 

Please let let me know your progress on US O .. very interested and intrigued as to why you chose this particular a/c to depict? 

kind Regards, Andy 

5 hours ago, Bigglesworth said:

A handsome model and fitting tribute.  Well done.

Thank you Bigglesworth! Glad you like the model and appreciate the story too. A very personal tribute of course , but very representative of Uncle's generation and the deeds they did. Once I'd found out from researching what actually happened I had to tell the story!

cheers,

Andy

Brilliant model and as others have said a magnificent tribute to your uncle. Many thanks for sharing all that family history- what an eventful and fascinating career!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Blanketyblank said:

Lancaster mk III of 7 Squadron , reg JB717 . Squadron code MG-V lost on operations 29/1/1944. 😉😀L

The Squadrons ORB from National Archives shows your mothers cousin was indeed the Rear Gunner on this aircraft.The NA ref is AIR/27/101/2

19 pages long and shows 7 squadron ops , crews, aircraft , bombload and observations. 

Pilot- Wing Commander Ralph Erskine YOUNG, DFC, DSG

Navigator- F/L T BURGER

WOp- F/Sgt A G RYDER

Engineer- F/Sgt IT TAYLOR

Bomb Aimer- F/L F S WHITTLESTONE

Mid Upper AG- F/L HG MILLER

Rear AG - Sgt SG COHEN

take off time 23:58

Target BERLIN 1 x 4000 lb Cookie

4x 1000lb MC

assorted TIs and flares 

This looks to be a very experienced crew by their ranks. Sgt Cohen being the most junior member! The a/c commander being a Wing Commander no less! 

This was the crews second visit visit to Berlin that month. Sadly they were lost ☹️ RIP.

i hope this info helps! 

Regards, Andy

41 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Brilliant model and as others have said a magnificent tribute to your uncle. Many thanks for sharing all that family history- what an eventful and fascinating career!

Thank you so much Vulcan. It's been a great journey and it pleased me so much to share it with others.

its satisfying to tell my uncle's story and to have his service and sacrifices appreciated by a wider  audience! cheers! 

Regards , Andy

13 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks Steve! Glad you concur on the light weathering approach. 

Do tell about your Tempest! 

Yes Uncle Peter flew a sortie as part of an Area Sweep on March 22nd 1945 as Red Four with Fl Gordon Milne as section leader. He was in Tempest NV-970 Squadron Code "US-O" . They encountered 12 Fw 190 Doras of JG25 near Hesepe at 12,000 ft and engaged them. He shot at the enemy at 50 yards away striking hits on the port wing and fuselage. the e/a crashed in to the Dummer See.. lake and the pilot was seen to bail out at 1500 feet.  I have seen the facsimile Combat Report signed by my uncle in the National Archives.. history coming alive! Amazing! 

Please let let me know your progress on US O .. very interested and intrigued as to why you chose this particular a/c to depict? 

kind Regards, Andy 

Thanks Andy.

I joined in your discussion of your uncle's career, particularly the Tempest era, late last year I think.  I'd not long acquired a couple of Eduard Tempests but hadn't decided on a colour scheme; all I was sure of was that it wouldn't be one of Pierre Closterman's mounts from 3 Squadron!

Work was proceeding reasonably well and I'd got most of the wheel bays built when I lost a bracket that attaches to the rib that runs fore and aft across the bay just outboard of where the wheel lies when retracted and to which (Ithink) the retraction jack is attached.  I was on the verge of contacting Eduard to see it they could provide a replacement when the news broke of their warehouse fire.  Since then the poor kit has lain forlornly on the Shelf of Doom 'til, miraculously, the bracket reappeared amongst some reclaimed spares on my bench late last week.  Once I get my modelling room back, and/or our model club meets again next week, work is going to resume!

2 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Thanks Andy.

I joined in your discussion of your uncle's career, particularly the Tempest era, late last year I think.  I'd not long acquired a couple of Eduard Tempests but hadn't decided on a colour scheme; all I was sure of was that it wouldn't be one of Pierre Closterman's mounts from 3 Squadron!

Work was proceeding reasonably well and I'd got most of the wheel bays built when I lost a bracket that attaches to the rib that runs fore and aft across the bay just outboard of where the wheel lies when retracted and to which (Ithink) the retraction jack is attached.  I was on the verge of contacting Eduard to see it they could provide a replacement when the news broke of their warehouse fire.  Since then the poor kit has lain forlornly on the Shelf of Doom 'til, miraculously, the bracket reappeared amongst some reclaimed spares on my bench late last week.  Once I get my modelling room back, and/or our model club meets again next week, work is going to resume!

Excellent! I love it when the Bench or Carpet Monster gives up its ill gotten gains! Has a couple of similar CM moments with this build too! Happily the rear wheel frame half had shot in to a coffee tin with brushes in! 😂  And the rear canopy got trod on! Dooh! 

Ill look forward to your next WIP soon!

i concur that Clostermann Tempests have quite enough models done over the years. All well and good , but one man doesn't make a Squadron and there's lots of other steeds that can and should be portrayed imho and to honour his comrades in 3 and 56 squadrons. 

I'm very honoured that you've chosen my uncle's first plane too. He only to my knowledge shot 1 ea down. Beginners luck maybe?       

Im thinking he achieved what he was trained to do and can only imagine the fear and then relief that he must have felt On that day. He probably felt regret that he'd killed an enemy pilot possibly too? He's an inexperienced new pilot amongst Aces like Pierre C, Gordon Milne and others.we can only imagine what it must have been like.. 

Thanks

Kind Regards, Andy

A beautifully built model and a lovely tribute. It's been a pleasure to be along for the ride on this one. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

A beautifully built model and a lovely tribute. It's been a pleasure to be along for the ride on this one. 

Very kind of you to say so Tony! Thank you, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the ride too. Cheers for watching , encouraging and  commenting on this. Much appreciated Sir! 

Kind of emotionally exhausted by it in some ways. I think I need to start the next model after a rest! 😂😂 just hang out and enjoy the work of others! 😉

SWMBOd had a read of this thread. Understated non plussed reaction of course ...but she saw the personal significance at once and could understand the reason behind the build! All good stuff! I'll be buying her a superb bunch of flowers as a thanks for her patience 😀 Not a bribe for the smoothng over of impending arrival of the Trumpeter 1:32 Jug kit.. lol 

Kind Regards, Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andy,

I can’t thank you enough for the information you have provided on my mum’s cousins Lanc. It will mean an awful lot to her I am sure. It is all very much appreciated and goes to prove what a wonderful and special resource the Britmodeller Forums truely are. 

I now plan on picking up an Airfix Lanc at some stage in the near future. 

Alan 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blanketyblank said:

Andy,

I can’t thank you enough for the information you have provided on my mum’s cousins Lanc. It will mean an awful lot to her I am sure. It is all very much appreciated and goes to prove what a wonderful and special resource the Britmodeller Forums truely are. 

I now plan on picking up an Airfix Lanc at some stage in the near future. 

Alan 

Alan. It is a pleasure indeed. I hope your mum can understand a little more about her relative and his bravery and sacrifice. He certainly did his duty. 

Ive spent a lot of time researching ORBs in the National Archives so it's kind of easy for me to find specific info on a person or aircraft. It's sometimes bewildering to find info in it I find you've not used it before  so I take great pleasure  in helping others if I can. 

Good luck with the Lanc! Make sure you get the MkIII version 😉 As that was the type your relative was in when they died. 

Kindest Regards, Andy

Brilliant model and I so enjoyed the history behind it!  What a great tribute!   :worthy::clap2:

As I scrolled through your post, the scrapbook pic of the black Hurricane caught my eye.  I thought, hey, that sure looks familiar for some reason.   Then, I remembered, no wonder it seemed familiar:

Hobbycraft Hurricane IIC

Thanks a lot for including that Hurricane photo in your tribute; I'll be keeping that one if you don't object! 😀

• Thanks 1